Author Topic: I have a feeling  (Read 11267 times)

Re: I have a feeling
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2008, 03:32:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I have a feeling Boston will repeat in 2008 and that James Posey will have a sub-par season (normal season) and that those that lamented his loss will suddenly contract amnesia.

BBD >>
Powe =
KG >
Pierce >
Ray Allen >>>
Tony Allen >
POB >
Scal =
Giddens >
Rondo >>>
Walker =
Perkins =
Pruitt >

Are you predicting that every player on our team will either get better or stay the same?

If ">>>" means that you expect to see a massive improvement from Ray Allen, don't count on it.  He had one of his best shooting years ever last season.  If you're expecting markedly different results, I think you could be disappointed.

I wouldn't be surprised to actually see some regression from KG, Paul, and Ray.  They're all a year older, on the downslope of their peak.  The younger guys, though, should all hopefully improve.

I expect at least one young guy to take a step back, and I also expect some regression in the big 3...although I wouldn't be surprised if it is a "Tim Duncan regression", meaning they cruise a bit more in the regular season, but are back to their old selves come playoff time.

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2008, 07:37:47 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I have a feeling Boston will repeat in 2008 and that James Posey will have a sub-par season (normal season) and that those that lamented his loss will suddenly contract amnesia.

BBD >>
Powe =
KG >
Pierce >
Ray Allen >>>
Tony Allen >
POB >
Scal =
Giddens >
Rondo >>>
Walker =
Perkins =
Pruitt >

Are you predicting that every player on our team will either get better or stay the same?

If ">>>" means that you expect to see a massive improvement from Ray Allen, don't count on it.  He had one of his best shooting years ever last season.  If you're expecting markedly different results, I think you could be disappointed.

I wouldn't be surprised to actually see some regression from KG, Paul, and Ray.  They're all a year older, on the downslope of their peak.  The younger guys, though, should all hopefully improve.

I expect at least one young guy to take a step back, and I also expect some regression in the big 3...although I wouldn't be surprised if it is a "Tim Duncan regression", meaning they cruise a bit more in the regular season, but are back to their old selves come playoff time.

We also dodged the 'Big Injury' bug last year except for Ray and that will surely affect someones season again this year. Ray actually rebounded from his down time fairly well. Will the others when it happens to them? 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 08:12:13 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5

BBD >>
Powe =
KG >
Pierce >
Ray Allen >>>
Tony Allen >
POB >
Scal =
Giddens >
Rondo >>>
Walker =
Perkins =
Pruitt >

We also dodged the 'Big Injury' bug last year except for Ray and that will surely affect someones season again this year. Ray actually rebounded from his down time fairly well. Will the others when it happens to them? 8)
Didn't KG miss more games last year than any season in his career? Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I remember thinking that KG missed several games last year. KG and Pierce are both about as durable as they come in the NBA. I don't EXPECT a big injury from either of them. I could see Ray missing a couple weeks at some point, but no big deal.

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2008, 09:26:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

BBD >>
Powe =
KG >
Pierce >
Ray Allen >>>
Tony Allen >
POB >
Scal =
Giddens >
Rondo >>>
Walker =
Perkins =
Pruitt >

I don't expect much regression from the big three. They all put up numbers well below their career averages last year and I'd expect them to be able to easily duplicate their production.

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 01:40:53 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

BBD >>
Powe =
KG >
Pierce >
Ray Allen >>>
Tony Allen >
POB >
Scal =
Giddens >
Rondo >>>
Walker =
Perkins =
Pruitt >

Ray Allen had one of his best shooting seasons last year?  The Ray Allen I saw for most of the year was not the Ray Allen I saw in the Detroit or Lakers series.  Not really a knock on him because that's what was called for.

The '>>>' for him is primarily due to the fact that his stats were the most effected by the transition from lead role to complimentary role.  With a year under his belt I have a feeling his stats will increase the most.

Regression for KG from 18/9?  Don't think so points might be stagnant but, the boards will go up.  I expect him to be back to his double double average.

Paul's scoring average will be over 20 this season which really only means he'll score 1 more point a game.

Rondo that one should be pretty self explanatory if he improves his jumper which I have a feeling he will he'll be nearly unstoppable playing alongside the big 3.

I know Powe is believed to be more talented than BBD to most on this site.  And it makes complete sense on their production from last year.  But I disagree with that premise and I have a feeling you'll see a marked improvement from more minutes alone. 

I guess I could have gave Powe a < but, that would make it seem like I don't appreciate his game.  I like Powe a lot but, I have this nagging feeling that his ceiling ( I know the word sucks ) is what we saw last year or slightly higher with more minutes but, still not as high as BBD's.

The only guy I was close to giving '<' was Perkins out of injury concern alone.  If Perkins play exactly the same game as last year we'll be fine at the Center position.

Pruitt and the younger guys get a '>' because they can't go nowhere but, up.

In short I have a feeling we might see the first 98-0 team.  Kidding sort of.  Hey it's the summer following the first championship in 22 years if there was ever a time to be complete homer it's now.

Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 01:51:14 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Ray Allen had one of his best shooting seasons last year?  The Ray Allen I saw for most of the year was not the Ray Allen I saw in the Detroit or Lakers series.  Not really a knock on him because that's what was called for.

The '>>>' for him is primarily due to the fact that his stats were the most effected by the transition from lead role to complimentary role.  With a year under his belt I have a feeling his stats will increase the most.

Overall FG%: 44.5% (6th best of his career, and right at his career average)
eFG%: .537 (4th best of his career, and higher than his career average)
TS%: .584 (4th best of his career, and higher than his career average)

So yeah, Ray had one of his best shooting years ever.  People get too caught up in the "counting" stats like points per game, and ignore other things, like efficiency.  If you expect Ray to improve drastically next year, I think you're in for a let down.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2008, 02:09:28 PM »

Offline BigThreePeat

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 15

So yeah, Ray had one of his best shooting years ever.  People get too caught up in the "counting" stats like points per game, and ignore other things, like efficiency.  If you expect Ray to improve drastically next year, I think you're in for a let down.

Ray just seemed really streaky last year.  For stretches he seemed amazing and for stretches he seemed completely washed up (even before the playoffs).   Hopefully he brings back the magic sleeve next year. 

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2008, 02:18:04 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Ray just seemed really streaky last year.  For stretches he seemed amazing and for stretches he seemed completely washed up (even before the playoffs).   Hopefully he brings back the magic sleeve next year. 

this view, held by more than just yourself, fustrates the heck out of me  ;D

whil eits true he had a horrendous slump in the playoffs, during the year he was really quite consistant, as the numbers show.

If i had to guess, i would guess that this view comes from him being the third option, and often just taking the 3. even if he shoots a high percentage, people remeber the 1/5 nights more than the 4/5 ones.

i bet if ray plays like more of a 2A option next year (like in the finals) and gets inside for easy layups while passing up 3 pointers, people will say he's more consistant.

which won't be true, but it will look that way heh.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2008, 02:47:51 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
The other thing to keep in mind about Ray is that he probably had the biggest adjustment to make out of any of the Big Three.  A lot of the C's offense last year was designed around the two man game between Pierce and Garnett with Allen merely playing the role of a spot up shooter.  While that may seem like an easy transition for a sniper like Allen, psychologically it was probably tough for him to get used to being intimately involved in most plays as he had most of his career. 

I think this year will be better for him as 1) he gets more and more comfortable playing his role and 2) Doc and Co. figure out how to work him into more plays.