Author Topic: 86 vs 24  (Read 3760 times)

Re: 86 vs 24
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2024, 08:07:04 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
The Celtics would have to go undefeated the rest of the way and dominate their way to an easy title to  be in this conversation.
Not gonna happen.

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2024, 09:35:33 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
The Celtics would have to go undefeated the rest of the way and dominate their way to an easy title to  be in this conversation.
Not gonna happen.

Why? They would have to go 22-3 the rest of the way to match the 86 team's record (which isn't gonna happen), but I don't see why they'd have to win 70 games to be in the conversation
I'm bitter.

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2024, 09:47:06 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I think the team to compare against is the ‘84 Celtics.  The core of the ‘86 team had already won a title two years earlier.  The ‘24 Celtics can’t say that.  (And I know a bunch of the ‘84 Celtics had won a title a few years earlier, but there were some new key rotation pieces and a different coach, so it’s a closer comparison).

That said, I think this is the most impressive Celtics team since 2008, and is set up for a better next 2-3 seasons than the 2008 team was (and would be set for longer if we had the same CBA as in 2008).

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2024, 01:16:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I understand the comparison in terms of team structure.  There's a clear alpha.  Two other all-star level players in the front court.  Two versatile guards who defer to the alpha to run the offense.  A really good aging big man at sixth man.  Everybody seemingly accepts their role.  A coach who isn't particularly special.

Style of play is obviously different.  We will see if the results match.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 02:24:15 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2024, 03:28:40 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I think the team to compare against is the ‘84 Celtics.  The core of the ‘86 team had already won a title two years earlier.  The ‘24 Celtics can’t say that.  (And I know a bunch of the ‘84 Celtics had won a title a few years earlier, but there were some new key rotation pieces and a different coach, so it’s a closer comparison).

That said, I think this is the most impressive Celtics team since 2008, and is set up for a better next 2-3 seasons than the 2008 team was (and would be set for longer if we had the same CBA as in 2008).
84 is closer, but Bird in 84 had already been the best player on a title team and that was the year he won his 1st of 3 straight MVP.  He was just a different class of player than Tatum is right now (and probably always will be). 

And the 84 team had McHale, Parish, Maxwell, and Henderson all from the 81 team and also had DJ who previously won a title. 

This team has 1 guy that has won a title and it wasn't in Boston.  There just isn't a comparison to 84 and certainly not to 86.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2024, 04:22:21 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
Not gonna happen.

Why? They would have to go 22-3 the rest of the way to match the 86 team's record (which isn't gonna happen), but I don't see why they'd have to win 70 games to be in the conversation
86 Celtics are an absolute juggernaut of an all time team that is still talked about regularly and will live on in near perfect infamy in Celtics lure. This team would have to do something pretty darn special to be remembered like 86.

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2024, 05:17:33 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
25 games left and the Celtics have a 5 game lead on the #2 team in the league.

They have to do it in the playoffs for it to mean anything but it's about as good of a position to be in as anyone could reasonably hope for.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2024, 11:17:57 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Not gonna happen.

86 Celtics are an absolute juggernaut of an all time team that is still talked about regularly and will live on in near perfect infamy in Celtics lure. This team would have to do something pretty darn special to be remembered like 86.

If they win the crown will they be considered as at least equal to the 08 team? After the win vs the Knicks, the 24 team’s average margin of victory was percentage points better than that of the 08 team (a bit over 10 points). This team has been dominating so far. Fingers crossed a championship is in the horizon!

The 86 team is the best ever Championship team for some. The 24 team will have to bulldoze its way in the playoffs to equal that.

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2024, 11:49:58 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
I just saw a video from a Celtics podcast "from the future"...he predicts Celtics will win NBA Finals over the Nuggets this year.

He also predicted Celtics will go on a 3peat between 2026-2028, beating the Nuggets in 2026, Mavericks in 2027, and a Giannis-led Warriors team in 2028 lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2024, 06:07:36 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Not gonna happen.

If they win the crown will they be considered as at least equal to the 08 team? After the win vs the Knicks, the 24 team’s average margin of victory was percentage points better than that of the 08 team (a bit over 10 points). This team has been dominating so far. Fingers crossed a championship is in the horizon!

The 86 team is the best ever Championship team for some. The 24 team will have to bulldoze its way in the playoffs to equal that.
I don't think so, but that's because the narrative is different. The 08 squad was the definition of lightning in a bottle, especially compared to the previous season. So the mythos is there. I'll talk more about that in a moment.

But: the Tatum-era Celtics have been about as successful as the Big Three Celtics overall, even factoring in the massive and obvious caveat that this new core hasn't won a championship to this point.

Consider, the Big 3 (2007-2008 to 2012-2013):
314 wins, 161 losses (66.11% win rate)
Postseason campaigns in chronological order: [Won it all, Second round exit, Jobbed in the Finals, Second round exit, Lost in the ECF (Allen leaves), First round exit]

The Tatum Era (2017-18 to present):
341 wins, 188 losses (64.46% win rate)
Postseason campaigns in chronological order: [Lost in the ECF, Second Round Exit, Lost in the ECF, First round exit, Lost in the Finals, Lost in the ECF].

Now, there's a subset of folks who will slap their suspenders against their chests and say "Welp, looks like a lot of losing to me" and then sprain their arms enthusiastically patting each on the back in the wake of this novel pronouncement because, essentially, the Celtics have yet to win a ring over six seasons with Tatum on the team whereas the Big Three came out the gates and proved their be-ringed bona fides to be in order.

This is silly for a couple of reasons (and we can hope that this is the last, dying twitch of the 'title town' impulse) but the biggest one is that it conveniently ignores the fact that the Big Three era was, almost to an absurd degree, a six-season 'one last ride' for KG, Pierce, and Ray.

Most of us were there for the wasteland of the mid 90's and Paul's 'wasted prime', and certainly a few of us would have been paying attention to Ray and KG's careers and coming to similar conclusions - The Big Three came together with 11,12, and 9 seasons under their belts, respectively.

In contrast, JT has only been in the league for six seasons, and he's already matched the success of the Big Three. I don't like this comparison for a whole lot of reasons, but you'd be insane to look at MJ's career now and say 'well, he didn't win a championship in his first six seasons, might as well take him out of the oven, he's cooked.' It's also why I tend to think the doom posting is generally a bit over the top as well - not only are we winning a hell of a lot, but we're doing it with a core that's on the right side of 30.

edit: you can also make the argument that we should really 'start the clock' for JT with the 2019-2020, in which case the team record is 237-128 (64.93%) and post-seasons read, in order: Lost ECF, Lost Finals, First Round Exit, Lost ECF. That's absolutely nothing to sneer at, even if some people have a Sauron-level ring obsession when it comes to evaluating success.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 06:19:42 AM by Kernewek »
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2024, 06:34:41 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
Not gonna happen.

Also gonna be tough to pass the 08 team all time but that’s certainly obtainable

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2024, 12:45:24 PM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
On a related but different tangent....Can you image Bird in today's game.  With the modern training, emphasis on the 3.  Strong to elite D, Elite passing, and most importantly, the will to be the best, both individually and for the team.  He is the combination of the modern Steph curry and dramond green together, with Jokic's passing added to the top.  He would probably average the same 27-30 points/game that Tatum does, with 12 Rebounds, 12 assists, and 1st team defense.  He would also get alot more free throws than most players, on the level of Embiid or Harden levels.  I would love to watch it.  I push Tatum in my head to take that next step and clean the glass a little more and make those couple of extra passes.  I think a big difference is fast breaks seem to happen alot less in todays game, maybe because the 3 is just so prevalent.

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2024, 01:07:41 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Can I be honest?

There is nothing I care less about than how this team compares to a team from 40 years ago. I wasn't even born yet.

I like watching basketball, I respect the history. But the constant need to compare modern day teams/players with old men, and teams, from the 70's and 80's is puzzling to me. Different era's, different game.

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2024, 01:13:40 PM »

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1561
No doubt.

Its the parallels in the roster that intrigue me.

In particular, the roles that Big Al and Walton played.
But Tatum and Bird. Bird was already an MVP, but they are the best player on the best team.
McHale guarded the best forward, like Brown, 2nd scorer.

The 2024 Detroit Pistons would sweep the 86 Celtics.

Era comparisons are so tired and moot.

well that is just your opinion son.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2024, 01:23:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
84 all day

Any team that has L B , MJ , has to favorite.