Author Topic: Do Celtics Fans Feel Grateful?  (Read 4672 times)

Re: Do Celtics Fans Feel Grateful?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2024, 08:31:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I just wish the owner wasn't so cheap and actually acted like a fan where money was no object. They did better this off season and at the deadline this year, but last year, I do think we would have won the title if the team didn't let a whole bunch of assets expire without use (the TPE's, not trading 1st's, etc.). The title was within range, but they cheaped out and didn't get the depth the team needed.  Again they've done a bit better this year, but there were still moves they could have made (like using the TPE) that they didn't.  Stop being cheap and put all the chips on the table.  Boston needs those chips because we don't have one of those special guys that typically lead teams to a title.  Every little bit can help.

So not grateful...
grateful for quality basketball and a chance to win, but yeah not grateful the owner blows.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2024, 08:38:16 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I just wish the owner wasn't so cheap and actually acted like a fan where money was no object. They did better this off season and at the deadline this year, but last year, I do think we would have won the title if the team didn't let a whole bunch of assets expire without use (the TPE's, not trading 1st's, etc.). The title was within range, but they cheaped out and didn't get the depth the team needed.  Again they've done a bit better this year, but there were still moves they could have made (like using the TPE) that they didn't.  Stop being cheap and put all the chips on the table.  Boston needs those chips because we don't have one of those special guys that typically lead teams to a title.  Every little bit can help.

So not grateful...
grateful for quality basketball and a chance to win, but yeah not grateful the owner blows.

living in an area that had Dan Snyder owning the Redskins and Peter Angelos owning the Orioles, you have no clue what it’s like to have an owner who actually blows
Greg

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2024, 10:40:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

So not grateful...

living in an area that had Dan Snyder owning the Redskins and Peter Angelos owning the Orioles, you have no clue what it’s like to have an owner who actually blows
of course I do. Wyc is a bad owner.  Not the worst, but he isn't good either. 

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2024, 04:29:50 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
It's a spectrum. Wyc might be a middling owner overall, but his predecessor, Paul Gaston, was not very good, to put it politely, and was a big part of the reason why the C's were pretty bad for most of the 90's and early 00's.

This captures the vibe of his departure pretty well, to my memory:
https://eu.capecodtimes.com/story/sports/2002/11/07/gaston-s-departure-worth-celebration/50958810007/
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2024, 05:46:39 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

So not grateful...

This sounds like first world problems when it comes to winning.  Wyc isn’t perfect by any stretch but to say he blows and is a bad owner is ludicrous.  I’d assume a label like that means the higher end of the bottom third of the league, so who are the 18 or so other ownership groups that you’d rather have?
Greg

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2024, 06:28:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

So not grateful...

This sounds like first world problems when it comes to winning.  Wyc isn’t perfect by any stretch but to say he blows and is a bad owner is ludicrous.  I’d assume a label like that means the higher end of the bottom third of the league, so who are the 18 or so other ownership groups that you’d rather have?
Sixers, Nets, Heat, Cavs, Bucks, Clippers, Warriors, Nuggets, Rockets, Wolves, Mavericks, Jazz, Spurs, Raptors,
Suns, Pacers, Blazers

The only ones I'd clearly want less would be Knicks, Lakers, and Hornets.  Hard to say what type of owner a guy like Ranadive would be a much larger market, which is where it gets tricky.

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2024, 06:54:24 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

So not grateful...

Sixers, Nets, Heat, Cavs, Bucks, Clippers, Warriors, Nuggets, Rockets, Wolves, Mavericks, Jazz, Spurs, Raptors,
Suns, Pacers, Blazers

The only ones I'd clearly want less would be Knicks, Lakers, and Hornets.  Hard to say what type of owner a guy like Ranadive would be a much larger market, which is where it gets tricky.

What's the criteria?  Several of those owners are "cheaper" than Wyc.

I don't like that we didn't use the TPEs last year, or that Wyc / Brad repeatedly lied about there being no budget.  But, Wyc isn't alone in valuing profits.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2024, 07:22:14 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

So not grateful...

Suns, Pacers, Blazers

The Twolves???  I sure hope you’re talking about the new owners and not glen taylor.  Have they even been in power long enough yet to really do anything?  So is zero credit better credit than Wyc?

Most of these teams you mentioned have front offices not nearly as highly regarded as the Celtics.  One has an owner who was accused of firing someone in retaliation for reporting sexual misconduct in the workplace
Greg

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2024, 07:23:48 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
It's been a few years since I looked into this but Wyc is considered "cheap" because he's in the bottom 5 of NBA owners net worth if you don't count the franchise. Most owners are billionaires and the NBA teams are their hobbies.

He's a VC that convinced a bunch of other VCs to start a new firm that owns a basketball franchise. He leveraged his way into this position.
ok fine

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2024, 07:50:33 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
I’d break an owners job, as far as the team is concerned into a few general categories, if you feel I’m missing something then feel free to correct me.

- Hire a competent GM/President of basketball operations to field a competitive team of players and coaches. 

Wyc has hired I believe only two GMs since he took over, Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens.  If I’m grading him here, I’d give him an A

- When the team is ready to contend, spend the necessary money to keep your stars and sign free agents to get the team a title.

Wyc for the most part hasn’t balked at entering luxury tax territory, but he has been gun shy before at potentially bringing in high end role players to get this team over the top.  Though he seems more willing this year.  That being said, the C’s still have one of the highest payrolls in basketball.  If I’m grading, I’d give Wyc a C+

- Keep your name and teams name out of any negative press.  Don’t make any unnecessary headlines.

Wyc hasn’t brought any negative press to the team but there’s been times he’s just needed to keep his mouth shut.  If I’m grading him, I’d give him a B

- Foster a nontoxic working environment

I think he’s done a good job here as far as I know.  I think he may have overreacted to the Ime situation, but I don’t have all the details.  I’d give him a B.

Factor all those qualities together and I’d say Wyc is a B + or - owner. 

Greg

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2024, 08:12:10 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I’d break an owners job, as far as the team is concerned into a few general categories, if you feel I’m missing something then feel free to correct me.

- Hire a competent GM/President of basketball operations to field a competitive team of players and coaches. 

Wyc has hired I believe only two GMs since he took over, Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens.  If I’m grading him here, I’d give him an A

- When the team is ready to contend, spend the necessary money to keep your stars and sign free agents to get the team a title.

Wyc for the most part hasn’t balked at entering luxury tax territory, but he has been gun shy before at potentially bringing in high end role players to get this team over the top.  Though he seems more willing this year.  That being said, the C’s still have one of the highest payrolls in basketball.  If I’m grading, I’d give Wyc a C+

- Keep your name and teams name out of any negative press.  Don’t make any unnecessary headlines.

Wyc hasn’t brought any negative press to the team but there’s been times he’s just needed to keep his mouth shut.  If I’m grading him, I’d give him a B

- Foster a nontoxic working environment

I think he’s done a good job here as far as I know.  I think he may have overreacted to the Ime situation, but I don’t have all the details.  I’d give him a B.

Factor all those qualities together and I’d say Wyc is a B + or - owner.
TP for that post. An overall grade of B seems fair, given the lack of a championship with the current group and the last one in 2008.

Some posters have to learn to take what Wyc says with a grain of salt. Most of his job is being a cheerleader for whatever the current team is.

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2024, 08:16:14 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I do think its interesting that Wyc is cheap and blows in a gratitude thread, and Jaylen can't shoot in a Jaylen appreciation thread.

I know we're deep in the recesses of a dark winter and the Ravens lost another playoff game, but come on Mo. Not everything has to be negative.

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2024, 08:21:35 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
It's been a few years since I looked into this but Wyc is considered "cheap" because he's in the bottom 5 of NBA owners net worth if you don't count the franchise. Most owners are billionaires and the NBA teams are their hobbies.

He's a VC that convinced a bunch of other VCs to start a new firm that owns a basketball franchise. He leveraged his way into this position.

On the other hand, that mostly doesn't matter. If you're unable to afford a championship team, you should probably sell the team. Don't wind up like the Maloofs.

I don't think Wyc is a cheap owner, in the grand scheme of things.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2024, 08:59:12 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

On the other hand, that mostly doesn't matter. If you're unable to afford a championship team, you should probably sell the team. Don't wind up like the Maloofs.

The Wyc numbers are highly suspect, anyway.  The internet has had him worth $400 million literally for the past 15 - 20 years.  He must be the worst business man ever, despite owning a $4+ billion asset.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2024, 09:14:06 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

The Wyc numbers are highly suspect, anyway.  The internet has had him worth $400 million literally for the past 15 - 20 years.  He must be the worst business man ever, despite owning a $4+ billion asset.

I doubt he's the worst business man ever, although he was a rich kid (sometimes they go hand in hand). I think there are people that inherited a lot and lost their parents' wealth. I assume he inherited less than $400m, but I'm not certain.

How did a thread discussing gratitude turn into bad-mouthing Wyc? Seems like an odd detour.