Author Topic: Jaylen Brown appreciation thread  (Read 15239 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown appreciation thread
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2024, 06:38:56 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
FG% = 49.5%

3PT% = 34.4%
FT% = 72.9%
TS% = 57.8%

Jaylen's FG% is fantastic but his three point shooting and free throw shooting is mediocre. It is dragging down his overall scoring efficiency to league average. League average 58.3%

Jaylen is 1-14 from three in his last 5 games. More interesting that in the last 4 games he’s shot only a total of 9 threes. And his last 2 games only 2 and 1 attempts from the arc.  Maybe just an aberration, but also could be a concerted effort to reduce.

That would be smart if that is the case.  Only 34 3s overall for the Celtics vs WAS last game.  They pounded it inside and Porzingis got points and FTA.  Brown has been scoring consistently for a while when he gets that midrange fadeaway shot.   You still need to take the 3 when it is there.  But it is better if you can develop more scoring diversity.

Ehh, I think he needs to shoot more three. There's going to be game where the C's can't just dump to to Porzingis being defended by Kyle Kuzma or DeAndre Hunter and in the playoff where games grind down and teams take away your bets option you'll need tough bucket getters. Having that three ball opens up everything else.

Its fine for now because the C's are clearly just slogging trying to get to the break. But the lack of three ATTEMPTS is a thing to watch.

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2024, 07:36:53 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
FG% = 49.5%

3PT% = 34.4%
FT% = 72.9%
TS% = 57.8%

Jaylen's FG% is fantastic but his three point shooting and free throw shooting is mediocre. It is dragging down his overall scoring efficiency to league average. League average 58.3%

Jaylen is 1-14 from three in his last 5 games. More interesting that in the last 4 games he’s shot only a total of 9 threes. And his last 2 games only 2 and 1 attempts from the arc.  Maybe just an aberration, but also could be a concerted effort to reduce.

That would be smart if that is the case.  Only 34 3s overall for the Celtics vs WAS last game.  They pounded it inside and Porzingis got points and FTA.  Brown has been scoring consistently for a while when he gets that midrange fadeaway shot.   You still need to take the 3 when it is there.  But it is better if you can develop more scoring diversity.

Ehh, I think he needs to shoot more three. There's going to be game where the C's can't just dump to to Porzingis being defended by Kyle Kuzma or DeAndre Hunter and in the playoff where games grind down and teams take away your bets option you'll need tough bucket getters. Having that three ball opens up everything else.

Its fine for now because the C's are clearly just slogging trying to get to the break. But the lack of three ATTEMPTS is a thing to watch.

I disagree.  Even with his past 5 game reduction in 3pt attempts he still is averaging 5.6 3pt shots/game which is third on the team behind Tatum and White.  The problem is of the top eight rotation players he is last in 3pt % (34.4%).  He should be shooting on average 1-1.5 shots fewer per game (4 shots/game).  Now, if he starts shooting lights out and approaches 38-40% then let him  shoot 5-7/game.  BTW, Tatum takes 8.4 shots/game and is the sixth worse 3pt % shooter at 36.2% of the 8-man rotation. 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2024, 08:06:20 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
FG% = 49.5%

3PT% = 34.4%
FT% = 72.9%
TS% = 57.8%

I disagree.  Even with his past 5 game reduction in 3pt attempts he still is averaging 5.6 3pt shots/game which is third on the team behind Tatum and White.  The problem is of the top eight rotation players he is last in 3pt % (34.4%).  He should be shooting on average 1-1.5 shots fewer per game (4 shots/game).  Now, if he starts shooting lights out and approaches 38-40% then let him  shoot 5-7/game.  BTW, Tatum takes 8.4 shots/game and is the sixth worse 3pt % shooter at 36.2% of the 8-man rotation.
I don't mean to get metaphysical, but you don't know what the future 3-pt percentage is going to be until he takes the shots. I do not agree with adjusting the number of 3-pt takes based on a short-term trend.

« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2024, 11:21:07 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
FG% = 49.5%

3PT% = 34.4%
FT% = 72.9%
TS% = 57.8%

I don't mean to get metaphysical, but you don't know what the future 3-pt percentage is going to be until he takes the shots. I do not agree with adjusting the number of 3-pt takes based on a short-term trend.
what short term trend? Brown is a poor 3 point shooter and has been for years.  His 34.4% this year is better than last year when he was 33.5 and the year before that he was 35.8.  Brown hasn't shot at a really good level from 3 since the 20-21 season.  He needs to shoot even less (he is down 1.8 from last year, so that is good, he still needs to drop a couple more). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2024, 11:23:51 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
FG% = 49.5%

3PT% = 34.4%
FT% = 72.9%
TS% = 57.8%

They also only beat Washington by 4 and let them make it close by getting outscored by 9 in the 4th quarter when Washington was 7 of 14 from 3 and Boston was just 3 of 6. 

« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2024, 11:45:19 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
FG% = 49.5%

3PT% = 34.4%
FT% = 72.9%
TS% = 57.8%

what short term trend? Brown is a poor 3 point shooter and has been for years.  His 34.4% this year is better than last year when he was 33.5 and the year before that he was 35.8.  Brown hasn't shot at a really good level from 3 since the 20-21 season.  He needs to shoot even less (he is down 1.8 from last year, so that is good, he still needs to drop a couple more).

Why does he need to shoot less? So they can win more regular season games?

I never understood the criticism of Marcus Smart's shooting. If the Celtics were going to win, they needed their guard to be able to shoot. Marcus kept putting up shots, and finally improved.

As long as the Celtics have the best record in the NBA, how are they hurt by JB's shooting? They need him to shoot better in the NBA finals. How can he do that? By shooting more in the regular season.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 12:59:55 PM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2024, 02:39:31 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
FG% = 49.5%

3PT% = 34.4%
FT% = 72.9%
TS% = 57.8%

I never understood the criticism of Marcus Smart's shooting. If the Celtics were going to win, they needed their guard to be able to shoot. Marcus kept putting up shots, and finally improved.

As long as the Celtics have the best record in the NBA, how are they hurt by JB's shooting? They need him to shoot better in the NBA finals. How can he do that? By shooting more in the regular season.
No, the better shooters need to shoot more, not the worse shooters.  Brown is who he is at this point.  Whether he shoots 10 shots or 5 shots, he is the type of shooter he is, but less shots probably means better looks, which should make his percentage better.  If the team needs to rush a 3 or take a not quite as open 3, it shouldn't be Brown taking them, it should be the better shooters on the team taking them.  This is why Boston loses games it shouldn't. It isn't about the number of 3's, it is about the quality of the shooter taking them. 

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2024, 03:15:46 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
FG% = 49.5%

3PT% = 34.4%
FT% = 72.9%
TS% = 57.8%

No, the better shooters need to shoot more, not the worse shooters.  Brown is who he is at this point.  Whether he shoots 10 shots or 5 shots, he is the type of shooter he is, but less shots probably means better looks, which should make his percentage better.  If the team needs to rush a 3 or take a not quite as open 3, it shouldn't be Brown taking them, it should be the better shooters on the team taking them.  This is why Boston loses games it shouldn't. It isn't about the number of 3's, it is about the quality of the shooter taking them.

You're saying that Brown can't improve at shooting? Based on what? Are you going to mine data to find that 27 year-olds are incapable of improving? I really don't understand this fixed mindset.

People didn't want Marcus to shoot, until he kept shooting and improved.

« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2024, 04:37:08 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
A lot of these comments really could be on another thread and not an "APPRECIATION THREAD"
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2024, 04:39:41 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
FG% = 49.5%

3PT% = 34.4%
FT% = 72.9%
TS% = 57.8%

You're saying that Brown can't improve at shooting? Based on what? Are you going to mine data to find that 27 year-olds are incapable of improving? I really don't understand this fixed mindset.

When did Marcus improve?  I guess compared to his first 2-3 years he became a better shooter, but pretty much not a better shooter since then (better at driving to the hoop), and never a good 3-point shooter, ever. 

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2024, 06:08:30 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Love his tuffness today . :)

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2024, 06:30:55 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Love his tuffness today . :)

Porzingis did too!

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2024, 08:59:06 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
FG% = 49.5%

3PT% = 34.4%
FT% = 72.9%
TS% = 57.8%

When did Marcus improve?  I guess compared to his first 2-3 years he became a better shooter, but pretty much not a better shooter since then (better at driving to the hoop), and never a good 3-point shooter, ever.

2016-2019. He went from 25% to 36% on roughly 4 attempts per game. He has been around 33% on 6 attempts since. Although he wasn't (and isn't) a good 3 point shooter, he improved, thus helping the Celtics.

Back to Jaylen. The Celtics are lucky to have him. Imagine if we drafted Dragan Bender or Kris Dunn? Even Jamal Murray would be a worse fit for this team.

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2024, 09:09:49 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
FG% = 49.5%

3PT% = 34.4%
FT% = 72.9%
TS% = 57.8%

2016-2019. He went from 25% to 36% on roughly 4 attempts per game. He has been around 33% on 6 attempts since. Although he wasn't (and isn't) a good 3 point shooter, he improved, thus helping the Celtics.

Back to Jaylen. The Celtics are lucky to have him. Imagine if we drafted Dragan Bender or Kris Dunn? Even Jamal Murray would be a worse fit for this team.
Smart's career best was 18-19 when he shot 36.4%.  He hasn't come close to that since. That also correlates to his career best TS%. That was also the last time he shot fewer than five 3's a game and he was 4.3.  His increased attempts did not improve his shooting and he hurt the team because quite simply every 3 he takes means a better shooter isn't shooting one.

« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2024, 02:05:45 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I wouldn't detect shooting as JB's biggest deficit, but his bad offensive decisions. Like, forcing his shooting, dribbling, bad passing and clutch moments when I can't remember was at least once successfull.
His biggest impact is defense. Last night how he deflected Bam around 5min in 4th q. was for the books. And we know how good Bam is.
I simply resigned myself to the fact that his offensive habits would never change.