Author Topic: Jaylen Brown appreciation thread  (Read 15244 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown appreciation thread
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2024, 09:44:36 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yikes.  Lots of angry folks taking shots at JB in the game thread.  But, for reasons expressed above, I think that Jaylen is going to get a lot of grief.  Tatum is sort of a sacred cow, KP is the shiny new toy, White is the most likable dude on the team.

The targets for fan criticism on most nights are going to be (in order) Joe, Brown, "the bench", and then probably Jrue (but we haven't really reached that point yet).

I knew after 1 bad game the pitchforks would come out.

otherwise he had a great month.

It is strange how other players seem to have built up more fan equity or something.  Tatum can have a bad week and you don't hear much.  Brown has a bad quarter and it is all you hear about.  And if Mazzulla doesn't call a time out or makes an odd substitution, look out.

Yeah.  JB definitely had a poor game.  But, weirdly, when he was playing the poorest, the Celtics were outscoring the Thunder.  We were +10 with him in the second, and +8 in the fourth, when he went a combined 4-for-13. 

It was the third quarter that killed us, and I don't put that on Brown.  He didn't contribute anything -- shooting 0-for-2 with a turnover -- but he also wasn't shooting us out of the game.  That was much more of a group effort, part poor performance and part an inability to adapt when threes aren't falling.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2024, 10:04:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I don't mind a poor shooting game every once in awhile (though 0-8 is a bit much), it is the 3 assists and 4 turnovers that are more problematic (coupled with 5 fouls).  If you aren't hitting your shots, don't turn it over. Tatum also had 4 turnovers, but he had 8 assists and he wasn't shooting badly either.  Now it is one game and Brown has been much better on the whole of the year with the assist to turnover ratio (3.6 to 2.6 isnt good either, just better), but games like last night need to be rare. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2024, 10:52:51 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Yikes.  Lots of angry folks taking shots at JB in the game thread.  But, for reasons expressed above, I think that Jaylen is going to get a lot of grief.  Tatum is sort of a sacred cow, KP is the shiny new toy, White is the most likable dude on the team.

The targets for fan criticism on most nights are going to be (in order) Joe, Brown, "the bench", and then probably Jrue (but we haven't really reached that point yet).

It is strange how other players seem to have built up more fan equity or something.  Tatum can have a bad week and you don't hear much.  Brown has a bad quarter and it is all you hear about.  And if Mazzulla doesn't call a time out or makes an odd substitution, look out.

That's what a $300M contract does to you. Expectations are off the roof. Can't perform that contract? Deserves every pitchfork they can possibly get.

And he was the one asking for it, so ye shall receive.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2024, 11:01:21 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

That's what a $300M contract does to you. Expectations are off the roof. Can't perform that contract? Deserves every pitchfork they can possibly get.

What does a player earning $300M do to perform to that contract?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2024, 11:05:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Key question:  should fans bring out the pitchforks after every loss?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2024, 11:36:57 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Key question:  should fans bring out the pitchforks after every loss?

No.  But we know that won't stop people (many of them irrational) from doing it on this blog.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2024, 11:45:35 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 594
I hate to say it, but I don't trust him at the line in a close game. Out of all the things last night, that should be the highlight of his negatives.

That said, we should recognize that he was being aggressive going to the hoop when the shots were not falling. That's something we all scream for this team to do in games like this.

He's played pretty well as of late, I think we need to not be prisoner of the moment.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2024, 04:36:35 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
I hate to say it, but I don't trust him at the line in a close game. Out of all the things last night, that should be the highlight of his negatives.

That said, we should recognize that he was being aggressive going to the hoop when the shots were not falling. That's something we all scream for this team to do in games like this.

He's played pretty well as of late, I think we need to not be prisoner of the moment.

so maybe I misunderstand what you are saying, but JB was 7/8 from the ft line last night.  Is 7/8 from the ft line a negative thing now?

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2024, 07:28:30 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

I'm not buying this. The JB pick was booed on draft night. He is more polarizing than Marcus Smart. He has been called a low IQ player since he got here.

Tatum is better and more charismatic. People feel the need to compare the two, and they've already made up their mind.

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2024, 07:59:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I'm not buying this. The JB pick was booed on draft night. He is more polarizing than Marcus Smart. He has been called a low IQ player since he got here.

Tatum is better and more charismatic. People feel the need to compare the two, and they've already made up their mind.
There are years of evidence at this point as to who is more valuable.  It isn't all that close no matter the metric you use either.

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2024, 08:05:51 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

There are years of evidence at this point as to who is more valuable.  It isn't all that close no matter the metric you use either.

I'm not arguing that Brown is more valuable. Tatum's better.

I'm stating why people feel the urge to discredit JB. Instead of being one of the top scorers and energetic players in the league, some see a lesser version of Tatum. You're proving my point by comparing him to Tatum vs other players on the team (or in the league). There aren't many wings in the NBA that are better than JB.

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2024, 08:10:43 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

You see $$$ signs when you watch him. Honestly, I don’t. I’m looking at guys on the court, whether it’s , PP, JT, Luke, JB and hoping they’ll contribute to a win. When they hurt the team, as Jrue and JB did last night, it’s ok to be critical. But a contract can’t be evaluated on a game to game basis - worse on a play to play basis. That’s ridiculous and that’s what a handful of posters here do.  It’s almost like you’ve never watched a season of basketball to witness ups/downs ebbs/flows,  never seen a star player have bad night; never seen a typically clutch performer blow a game winner….  Happens literally EVERY night - good players have off games.  JB has been fantastic the last month.  He had a bad game and he’s crucified here.

Incidentally, he was crucified here before he earned 2nd team All-NBA and got a max contract. I’m SO glad he’s a Celtic. A great talent - and continually improving his game.

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2024, 08:38:19 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
This "appreciation thread" is probably like 60% hate lol  :laugh:

Maybe create another "Jaylen bashing thread"
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2024, 09:29:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I'm not arguing that Brown is more valuable. Tatum's better.

I'm stating why people feel the urge to discredit JB. Instead of being one of the top scorers and energetic players in the league, some see a lesser version of Tatum. You're proving my point by comparing him to Tatum vs other players on the team (or in the league). There aren't many wings in the NBA that are better than JB.
I was commenting more on they've already made up their mind. Well yeah, there is years of data to support that position. 

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2024, 12:13:25 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

You see $$$ signs when you watch him. Honestly, I don’t. I’m looking at guys on the court, whether it’s , PP, JT, Luke, JB and hoping they’ll contribute to a win. When they hurt the team, as Jrue and JB did last night, it’s ok to be critical. But a contract can’t be evaluated on a game to game basis - worse on a play to play basis. That’s ridiculous and that’s what a handful of posters here do.  It’s almost like you’ve never watched a season of basketball to witness ups/downs ebbs/flows,  never seen a star player have bad night; never seen a typically clutch performer blow a game winner….  Happens literally EVERY night - good players have off games.  JB has been fantastic the last month.  He had a bad game and he’s crucified here.

Incidentally, he was crucified here before he earned 2nd team All-NBA and got a max contract. I’m SO glad he’s a Celtic. A great talent - and continually improving his game.

It's only natural to have different expectations for players based on their status, which is defined by their role, previous performances, acquisition costs and also their contract. When Kornet or Queta gets on the court I don't expect or demand them to replace the production of Porzingis or Horford one-on-one for example.

When Brown had an awful start of the season he got criticized in the media. Also partly as a consequence of his notorious collapse in the conference finals. Then in December there were clear signs Brown tried to play more composed team basketball with some outstanding performances.

But this game against OKC he was put to the test when his shots were not falling from the start. Instead of finding other ways to help the team by making his mark on the defense, rebound, hustle or setting up other guys he just kept on shooting. That poor decision making just costs us the game.

Brown is in his eighth year in the league. The Celtics are competing for a Championship. He can't permit himself to keep on making these mistakes. With Brown shrinking in the moment again I lose faith in him doing the right things in the playoffs when it matters. That's for me why I'm very critical on Brown.

Tatum, White and Porzingis have surpassed Brown. And he can't handle that. I'm very suspicious how this is going to work out. Nonetheless Brown is a good player and two-way-wing players are very scarce. So imagining a trade is also not all that easy and it can't happen till summer anyway.