Author Topic: 23/24 Celtics vs. 16-18 Warriors Starting Lineups  (Read 4016 times)

Re: 23/24 Celtics vs. 16-18 Warriors Starting Lineups
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2024, 02:17:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
A reminder that that Warriors squad went 16-1 in the playoffs.  As great as the team has been so far, I see them at the level of the 2008 Celts, rather than the dynasty Warriors.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2024, 02:20:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
A reminder that that Warriors squad went 16-1 in the playoffs.  As great as the team has been so far, I see them at the level of the 2008 Celts, rather than the dynasty Warriors.

That's fair.  I do think this squad will do better in the early playoff rounds than the '08 squad did.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2024, 02:24:43 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
https://x.com/hoopsempire_/status/1764469527021064563?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

The Celtics are now tied for the fourth best all-time net rating at 11.6. Who are they tied with - the 16-17 Warriors.

75% of the way through the season, I guess this idea wasn’t so crazy after all  8)

Imagine how they'd be with a good coach.

They have an excellent coach. I think he'll be the coach of the year.

I think he is being sarcastic.  It is interesting that Steve Kerr was the coach of the year for 2015-16 season but not after that.  Last season, Mazzulla was 3rd in the coach of the year balloting.  I think all would agree that he is a better coach this season than last, so....

Anyway, the coach aside, I look at the team comparison starting with this:

Tatum + Brown = Durant + Thompson

I see them as very equal so you can narrow the debate to the rest of the team.  I am not that big on Draymond Green but how about if we declare this additional equivalency:

Holiday = Green

I know Holiday and Green play different positions but I think this is still fair, if anything, I am being favorable to Green.  That leaves:

White + Porzingis vs. Curry + Looney

Curry is much better than White but Porzingis is much better than Looney.  But which is more better?  I think you have to give the edge to White + Porzingis.
Durant was better then than Tatum is now. Not particularly close.  Klay was also better than than Brown is now, though that is closer. Prime Draymond was better than Jrue at any point in his career l, but especially now as he has aged.  Curry was a top 3 player in the sport at that time. Any NBA player with him is better than the White Porzingis combo.

Those Warriors were among the 5 greatest teams in the sports history. They had 2 top 15 players all time in their prime. They had an in prime DPOY big man. They had a multiple time All NBA player who also happens to be one of the 10 best shooters ever.  They had a Finals MVP coming off the bench along with quality depth. They steamroller everyone they faced

Anyone comparing this Celtics team to that Warriors team is goingnto be disappointed because this Celtics team cannot meet that level.  Boston can certainly win the title, but they aren't the Warriors.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2024, 07:04:41 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Durant was better then than Tatum is now. Not particularly close.  Klay was also better than than Brown is now, though that is closer. Prime Draymond was better than Jrue at any point in his career l, but especially now as he has aged.  Curry was a top 3 player in the sport at that time. Any NBA player with him is better than the White Porzingis combo.

Those Warriors were among the 5 greatest teams in the sports history. They had 2 top 15 players all time in their prime. They had an in prime DPOY big man. They had a multiple time All NBA player who also happens to be one of the 10 best shooters ever.  They had a Finals MVP coming off the bench along with quality depth. They steamroller everyone they faced

Anyone comparing this Celtics team to that Warriors team is goingnto be disappointed because this Celtics team cannot meet that level.  Boston can certainly win the title, but they aren't the Warriors.

You have made some very sweeping assertions, but consider this:

2016  Durant, 5th in MVP Voting, 2nd Team All NBA
2023  Tatum, 4th in MVP Voting, 1st Team All NBA

2016  Thompson, 3rd Team All NBA
2023  Brown, 2nd Team All NBA

I think it is "particularly close" in both cases, and the awards voters came to the same conclusion.

And as to Draymond Green, I have never seen it.  I don't think he is that great.  I know you are not alone, plenty see much more in him than I do.  I see Draymond as more like Horford.  A very good complementary player, especially when surrounded by stars, but otherwise, not a star in his own right.  I am not going to debate you on Draymond though, it is too arbitrary.

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2024, 07:07:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Changing of the guard…no pun intended

Steph C. Interview comment to reporter .  “They just did to us what we used to do to everybody else.”

Ya getting ol boy ! 

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2024, 07:22:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
https://x.com/hoopsempire_/status/1764469527021064563?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

The Celtics are now tied for the fourth best all-time net rating at 11.6. Who are they tied with - the 16-17 Warriors.

75% of the way through the season, I guess this idea wasn’t so crazy after all  8)

I think he is being sarcastic.  It is interesting that Steve Kerr was the coach of the year for 2015-16 season but not after that.  Last season, Mazzulla was 3rd in the coach of the year balloting.  I think all would agree that he is a better coach this season than last, so....

Anyway, the coach aside, I look at the team comparison starting with this:

Tatum + Brown = Durant + Thompson

I see them as very equal so you can narrow the debate to the rest of the team.  I am not that big on Draymond Green but how about if we declare this additional equivalency:

Holiday = Green

I know Holiday and Green play different positions but I think this is still fair, if anything, I am being favorable to Green.  That leaves:

White + Porzingis vs. Curry + Looney

Curry is much better than White but Porzingis is much better than Looney.  But which is more better?  I think you have to give the edge to White + Porzingis.

I reluctantly admit I agree with Mo on this

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2024, 07:24:47 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1558
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2024, 07:26:28 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1558
hey steph

how does that soul crushing loss feel son?

BRAD SAYS:

ENJOY THE L

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2024, 11:58:55 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

I think he is being sarcastic.

Just for the record, I was indeed being a bit sarcastic.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.