Author Topic: Smart needs Hayward  (Read 3341 times)

Smart needs Hayward
« on: March 11, 2020, 04:24:06 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Hayward has a calming influence and his patience rubs off .He probes the opposing defences and you can  almost see Marcus use his BBIQ over aggression.

Re: Smart needs Hayward
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 05:02:58 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
The whole team needs Hayward  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 06:45:45 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Absolutely! But, for less money...

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 06:47:49 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Which part of a contract do you people not understand? The team owes him money, which they have to pay him, you cant change the amount until the contract is over. Do you think the team signed him for the max with an intention of him getting injured?

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 08:12:39 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Which part of a contract do you people not understand? The team owes him money, which they have to pay him, you cant change the amount until the contract is over. Do you think the team signed him for the max with an intention of him getting injured?

He has a player option this off-season. It is very possible he opts out and seeks a longer-term deal and I would say it's very likely his next contract is for less money than his current on. So on that front, iadera is not wrong.

But because he has a player option for $34M, that needs to be taken into account for his next contract. Even if people want to get him for an average of say $22M/yr on his next deal, it would be 34+22+22+22 ($100M/4 yrs), not $88M - or else Hayward has no reason to opt out. If he does re-sign, I think we should all expect a Jaylen Brown like deal, and be pleasantly surprised if it is for less.

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 09:18:29 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

He has a player option this off-season. It is very possible he opts out and seeks a longer-term deal and I would say it's very likely his next contract is for less money than his current on. So on that front, iadera is not wrong.

But because he has a player option for $34M, that needs to be taken into account for his next contract. Even if people want to get him for an average of say $22M/yr on his next deal, it would be 34+22+22+22 ($100M/4 yrs), not $88M - or else Hayward has no reason to opt out. If he does re-sign, I think we should all expect a Jaylen Brown like deal, and be pleasantly surprised if it is for less.

I think he will opt in and consider his options after next season.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 10:07:33 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1673

If he wants the best contract for himself, he should opt out. 

This is a weak FA class.  AD is technically in it, but he's not going anywhere.  Brandon Ingram is the next best player, and I'd bet that he stays put too.  The next group is Hayward, Derozan (both with player options) and Gallinari (unrestricted).  And Hayward is arguably the best of that group.  So if he wants one more contract, he'll have the leverage to demand it this offseason - whether that's from us or somebody else.

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 11:03:54 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Leverage is only good if he has another bidder that can really push the C's. I don't know if he has that, very few teams have cap space this off season.

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 11:16:10 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85

If he wants the best contract for himself, he should opt out. 

This is a weak FA class.  AD is technically in it, but he's not going anywhere.  Brandon Ingram is the next best player, and I'd bet that he stays put too.  The next group is Hayward, Derozan (both with player options) and Gallinari (unrestricted).  And Hayward is arguably the best of that group.  So if he wants one more contract, he'll have the leverage to demand it this offseason - whether that's from us or somebody else.

Great point.  That sounds logical.

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 11:24:37 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
More like we need him...  ::)
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 11:39:12 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Leverage is only good if he has another bidder that can really push the C's. I don't know if he has that, very few teams have cap space this off season.
and I'm sure the lack of consistent production hasn't helped his negotiation leverage either

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 11:48:24 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
and I'm sure the lack of consistent production hasn't helped his negotiation leverage either

Are you talking about on a consistent basis or being healthy overall? I admit Hayward hasn't been the most healthiest, but if we're talking about consistently, he's been pretty good.

He's missed a few bunnies, but... 17/7/4 50/39/85 is pretty great from 3rd/4th option.

Some team is certainly going to try to go after him. But few teams don't have that much cap space.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 01:36:09 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

He has zero leverage because he wants to play for CBS. Ainge will get a discount from Hayward, either this year or the next.

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 01:41:35 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
May be our two best overall players...

The team needs BOTH of these players going forward as our Young Jays continue to develop.

Love it when CBS can keep at least one of them on the floor at all times.

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 01:55:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Title should be "Celtics need Hayward".

I think the Celtics are contenders this year and in the future, but they will need Hayward to be contenders. The Hayward, Smart, Tatum, Brown and Kemba core need to stay together, IMHO.