Author Topic: Brad Stevens forget how to close?  (Read 9639 times)

Re: Brad Stevens forget how to close?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2020, 08:27:18 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I think there are coaches out there that can do better than Stevens. Hes great for a team with no expectations and no big stars, but when he had stars and the expectations are there, he doesnt rise to the occasion. I just dont see a killer instinct. I see a good teacher who doesn't take winning as the ultimate goal. His ultimate goal is did we compete. To win a title you need to step on teams when you have them down...we always let them off the mat. He doesnt know how to deliver the knockout blow...he'd rather keep substituting.

Has anyone noticed since the Rockets beat us teams are playing big lineups against them and the Rockets are paying the price for small ball. What did the Celtics do...we played small ball too. SMH

I agree with pretty much everything said here. I've been keeping an eye on the Rockets since we've played them and teams are just going big on them and pounding them inside. What did Stevens do? He went super small and played right into their hands. The Rockets have lost 4 in a row and have not looked good, but against the Celtics they had an absolute field day.

GreenRunsDeep nailed it. Stevens is a good teacher but he does not go all out to win. Who would we replace Stevens with? How about a coach who simply wants to win above all else? Isn't that why we're watching these games? I'm not watching 82 games so that Stevens can play 11 guys and tinker with lineups from game to game. It is ridiculous.

Which coach out there do you propose?
Rick Pitino ;D

But Larry, Chief, Kevin, KG, Paul, Ray. Rondo, Al - are not walking through that door.....

I "WILL" settle for Perk doing the in-game commentary along with Gorman and Scal, though. That needs to be PERMANENT.

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2020, 08:30:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think there are coaches out there that can do better than Stevens. Hes great for a team with no expectations and no big stars, but when he had stars and the expectations are there, he doesnt rise to the occasion. I just dont see a killer instinct. I see a good teacher who doesn't take winning as the ultimate goal. His ultimate goal is did we compete. To win a title you need to step on teams when you have them down...we always let them off the mat. He doesnt know how to deliver the knockout blow...he'd rather keep substituting.

Has anyone noticed since the Rockets beat us teams are playing big lineups against them and the Rockets are paying the price for small ball. What did the Celtics do...we played small ball too. SMH

I agree with pretty much everything said here. I've been keeping an eye on the Rockets since we've played them and teams are just going big on them and pounding them inside. What did Stevens do? He went super small and played right into their hands. The Rockets have lost 4 in a row and have not looked good, but against the Celtics they had an absolute field day.

GreenRunsDeep nailed it. Stevens is a good teacher but he does not go all out to win. Who would we replace Stevens with? How about a coach who simply wants to win above all else? Isn't that why we're watching these games? I'm not watching 82 games so that Stevens can play 11 guys and tinker with lineups from game to game. It is ridiculous.

Jay Wright

The next Brad Stevens (but has closed and won two ncaa championships)

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2020, 08:34:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Jay Wright

And why exactly would he leave Villanova?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2020, 08:36:51 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Jay Wright

Except he's 58 years old, and has shown no desire to leave Villanova. Also college coaches rarely pan out in the NBA. Brad is an outlier, so... we should get rid of him? Because that makes sense!
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2020, 08:37:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Jay Wright

And why exactly would he leave Villanova?

Brad will tell you why he left = answer

;D

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2020, 11:39:52 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Lol. You misspelled “Kemba Walker” in the thread title.

Nope

In that situation passing back to the defensive corner to the smallest guy on the team

Is falling right into okc hands

Timeout was needed

Timeout? Playoffs? Timeout?

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2020, 09:44:28 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I've been quick to criticize a lot of Steven's decisions over the years and in this particular game I definitely wasn't thrilled with a few choices -- yes, count me in the "Should have called a timeout!" camp -- BUT ...

there are precious few coaches I would prefer to have over him and don't think the marginal gain we'd get from a change in coaches would be worth the potential for disruption.

I like Snyder a lot, and think his methodology would absolutely shine with a stronger roster in a bigger market, but how many more wins would he realistically be able to squeeze out of this roster over Brad?

The biggest gains for this team are only going to come from one single thing:   They need to get healthy and stay healthy.

There is no better cure for sloppy play than roster continuity.   We need to get to a point where our starting lineup and bench rotations are not changing every single freaking game.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2020, 12:38:40 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

The Raptors fired Dwayne Casey after he led them to the playoffs however many years in a row and went with Nick Nurse who immediately led them to a title. Dwyane Casey is not a bad coach, neither is Brad Stevens. Sometimes you just have to shake things up if you see it's not working. The Raptors play HARD every single game. They've only had like 1 or 2 bad losses all year. Nick Nurse plays his guys bigger minutes because they are trying to win at all costs. I'm so tired of this notion that playing a guy 38 minutes every 2 days will cause injuries. Brad Stevens doesn't play anyone on this roster big minutes and yet this is one of the more injury riddled teams in the entire NBA year after year. To answer the question i'm not sure who the new coach would be but i just want a coach who wants to win. Brad Stevens is not it.

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2020, 02:06:27 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

The Raptors fired Dwayne Casey after he led them to the playoffs however many years in a row and went with Nick Nurse who immediately led them to a title. Dwyane Casey is not a bad coach, neither is Brad Stevens. Sometimes you just have to shake things up if you see it's not working. The Raptors play HARD every single game. They've only had like 1 or 2 bad losses all year. Nick Nurse plays his guys bigger minutes because they are trying to win at all costs. I'm so tired of this notion that playing a guy 38 minutes every 2 days will cause injuries. Brad Stevens doesn't play anyone on this roster big minutes and yet this is one of the more injury riddled teams in the entire NBA year after year. To answer the question i'm not sure who the new coach would be but i just want a coach who wants to win. Brad Stevens is not it.

So ... if we fire Brad ... that means we will (a) sign a Kawhi-level superstar and (b) get lucky as our opponents in the playoffs crumble under the weight of injuries?

Sounds like a plan!
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2020, 02:47:09 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton

So ... if we fire Brad ... that means we will (a) sign a Kawhi-level superstar and (b) get lucky as our opponents in the playoffs crumble under the weight of injuries?

Sounds like a plan!

I've watched Kawhi a lot this year and he does not look like the player i saw last year in a Raptors uniform. Maybe his injury is getting the best of him or maybe Nurse is that good of a coach? The Raptors right now even without Kawhi look like a well oiled machine. He's clearly an outstanding coach who is somehow able to get his players to play hard every single night. The same cannot be said of Stevens.

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2020, 02:55:10 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14

Sounds like a plan!

I've watched Kawhi a lot this year and he does not look like the player i saw last year in a Raptors uniform. Maybe his injury is getting the best of him or maybe Nurse is that good of a coach? The Raptors right now even without Kawhi look like a well oiled machine. He's clearly an outstanding coach who is somehow able to get his players to play hard every single night. The same cannot be said of Stevens.

Kawhi was a god last year Raptors the stuff of legends we'll see in the playoffs if he steps up I think he will

I just don't know if the Clippers supporting cast is better then Toronto's I don't think it is.

Brad Stevens had one year with Isiah Thomas and a rundown eastern Conference everyone thought he was the man but really he isn't.

Nick Nurse is a genius everything that is not supposed to work in the NBA box and 1 different zones man to man out of bounds plays pick and pops pick and rolls he has made his players perfect all of them and they won a championship last year because of it.

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2020, 03:15:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So Nick Nurse is a genius and Stevens was lucky to get to two ECFs. Yet the genius, with most of a title winning team returning is just 3 games in the loss column over the lucky coach coaching the youngest and least experienced team in the league.

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2020, 03:18:06 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
So Nick Nurse is a genius and Stevens was lucky to get to two ECFs. Yet the genius, with most of a title winning team returning is just 3 games in the loss column over the lucky coach coaching the youngest and least experienced team in the league.

They lost their best player in free agency and are still 3 games ahead in the loss column. That says a lot.

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2020, 03:24:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

They lost their best player in free agency and are still 3 games ahead in the loss column. That says a lot.

Then what did it say when Toronto added Kawhi and won fewer games than the year before?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2020, 03:31:10 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton

Then what did it say when Toronto added Kawhi and won fewer games than the year before?

Good point. I have no retort to that particular question.