Author Topic: W. Carter's mom: free Duke education is the equivalent of African slavery  (Read 24030 times)

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Just stop, people.  Comparisons to Nazi Germany and slavery are way too common, and make people sound stupid.

Here's Wendall Carter's mom, complaining about a free ride to a top-10ish university:

"When you remove all the bling and the bells and the sneakers and all that," she said, "you've paid for a child to come to your school to do what you wanted them to do for you, for free, and you made a lot of money when he did that, and you've got all these rules in place that say he cannot share in any of that. The only other time when labor does not get paid but yet someone else gets profits and the labor is black and the profit is white, is in slavery.

"To be honest with you," she said, "it's nauseating."

Free education, room and board, at a place that you choose, setting you up to become a millionaire.  That sounds exactly like being ripped from your home, put into chains and subjected to forced labor, rape, and beatings with literally no individual freedoms.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I was so jealous of the athletes when I went to college. They get everything for free and very nice things. They had free tutoring, their own computer  lab, their own free cafeteria,  They were FIRST in line to get textbooks at the university bookstore. Literally normal students were not allowed to buy textbooks until after athletes got there's. Then the books would be open to general population students, and of course many popular textbooks would be sold out and we'd   have to overpay somewhere else to get the books. The athletes get hundreds of dollars worth of free Nike premium athletic shoes, clothing and backpacks. They get free room and board as mentioned. Other schools are crazier.... Alabama has a barbershop at the football practice facility for the players free haircuts. This isn't talking under the table money that we all know 5 star athletes get. And of course the free education is priceless

The list of privileges And benefits for being an athlete  is very very long and worth thousands of dollars

Its blasphemous to compare slavery to free attendance to an elite school

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Terrible comparison, but it's why things will soon change in college basketball. Hopefully the G-League will become a more viable option for players right out of high school so that they can be paid if they want to.

You are totally right, though. Carter chose this path and it's not like he is the only person that has ever had to deal with this set-up. He is lucky that he gets to be drafted in a little over a month and make millions of dollars. The vast majority of college of basketball and football players never get that option despite being a part of an 'industry' that makes universities loads of money.

Why Carter's mom has such a problem and would make such an embarrassing argument is beyond me. I agree with Nazi/Slavery comparisons - they are lazy and disrespectful.

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I agree with the comment above. It's kind of an inappropriate and hyperbolic thing to say, but the reality is that NCAA athletes of all races are currently being exploited. It's outrageous. They need to be given a share of those revenues, somehow.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The irony is that what she has really bumped into is the effectiveness of trade unions. While I don't agree with everything unions do by any means I do think they've been a huge part of American history when it comes to improving conditions for people.

The NBA players union and NBA negotiated for this. Maybe they will negotiate to change it. He could have been paid to play overseas or maybe in the NBDL. 

It's kinda the exact oppositte of slavery. It's wanting to work and being told you can't because of union rules. But you can work in other places.  Instead he decided to get free coaching from one of the best basketball minds alive. 

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
We can agree it's not as bad as slavery.

We can also acknowledge that a hugely wealthy entity, predominantly owned and operated by white men, forcing persons -- largely of color -- whose services have significant quantifiable monetary value to exchange those services for something other than money is ... not the greatest optically speaking.

And I think we can agree that, with the backdrop of slavery as a major part of our nation's history, the argument that "But we're providing them room and board and an education" is not super duper persuasive in response to the accusation that there's a collusive effort by the powerful to extract the valuable efforts of the not-powerful without monetary compensation.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
We can also acknowledge that a hugely wealthy entity, predominantly owned and operated by white men, forcing persons -- largely of color -- whose services have significant quantifiable monetary value to exchange those services for something other than money is ... not the greatest optically speaking.
No one is forcing anyone to do anything. This is nonsense.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
I agree with the comment above. It's kind of an inappropriate and hyperbolic thing to say, but the reality is that NCAA athletes of all races are currently being exploited. It's outrageous. They need to be given a share of those revenues, somehow.
no one is being exploited

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
No one forced this kid to go to college and play under the NCAA's archaic rules.  He had a choice.  People who were slaves had no choice. 

There is no comparison.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Just stop, people.  Comparisons to Nazi Germany and slavery are way too common, and make people sound stupid.

Here's Wendall Carter's mom, complaining about a free ride to a top-10ish university:

"When you remove all the bling and the bells and the sneakers and all that," she said, "you've paid for a child to come to your school to do what you wanted them to do for you, for free, and you made a lot of money when he did that, and you've got all these rules in place that say he cannot share in any of that. The only other time when labor does not get paid but yet someone else gets profits and the labor is black and the profit is white, is in slavery.

"To be honest with you," she said, "it's nauseating."

Free education, room and board, at a place that you choose, setting you up to become a millionaire.  That sounds exactly like being ripped from your home, put into chains and subjected to forced labor, rape, and beatings with literally no individual freedoms.

I wished my 5 years years ..ok ...it took my an extra year  ;D...but I finished the job ...had been paid for by someone else than the blood sweet and tears of my poor parents from a factory town.   

My parents were slaves to their work ,  so i could have a better life.  She is lucky she doesn't have to work 12 jobs to pay for Duke s education fees.

Very LOW class of her.  She could just let her son wait and be drafted under the NBA guidelines and he gets no education.

She sounds very selfish    or maybe she is Larvars Sister.    She wants a cut BEFORE her child becomes an NBA player .   

Its about him getting what most kids would give their right arm to have , a free ride though Duke U.

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Welcome to the wonderful world of Liberal victimhood mentality.  Her son got a chance to ready himself to become a millionaire under one of the best college coaches ever.  How many kids that aren't all-Americans hyped up by Youtube highlights that are good enough to play D-1 get the same free publicity?  This argument is hands down one of the 5 dumbest arguments in modern society.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It's a silly statement.   I am sure this is in context of student athletes not getting paid, though, folks.

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
I remember Carter was strongly considering Harvard...he should have gone there on an academic ride and graduated in 4 years and she wouldn't  have had anything to complain about

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Why are these random people interviewed?  Is there any one outside of immediate family that cares what Wendell Carter's (never seen him play) mom thinks about the NCAA and slavery?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
We can agree it's not as bad as slavery.

And I think we can agree that, with the backdrop of slavery as a major part of our nation's history, the argument that "But we're providing them room and board and an education" is not super duper persuasive in response to the accusation that there's a collusive effort by the powerful to extract the valuable efforts of the not-powerful without monetary compensation.

1. the NCAA is not "owned and operated by white people." even if it were, That doesn't mean it is a racist organization and it doesn't validate some ridiculous slavery analogy... Especially when one includes the Irish slave trade where white Irish men were brought to America for slavery

2.   overwhelming majority of the $1.06 billion of annual revenue was  distributed back to member organizations and institutions across the United States in support of their nearly half-million student athlete. The organization doesn't exist to make money for itself. Its a non profit organization