Author Topic: Take away the 15 games Harden has 40+ pts this season, he still leads league  (Read 2993 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
 Statistically speaking he's amazing, but he's doing by gaming the system. He has an ugly game, gets loads of superstar calls and plays no defense. Oh, and he chokes in the playoffs. So far, for all his "brilliance", it hasnt led to much playoff success.

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Really doesn't mean much to me until he proves he can get it done in the playoffs.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
Statistically speaking he's amazing, but he's doing by gaming the system. He has an ugly game, gets loads of superstar calls and plays no defense. Oh, and he chokes in the playoffs. So far, for all his "brilliance", it hasnt led to much playoff success.

It definitely seems like his time with Houston has lead to some of the least aesthetically pleasing basketball of the last 20 years or so. And that includes the isofest that was the early 00's :(

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wow. Can’t really stand to watch Houston games (god forbid they make the Finals), but that’s a crazy number
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Has there ever been a player before Harden who so directly created a conflict between impressive raw numbers production and the aesthetic aspect of the game?

Winning and producing matters -- it's why players and teams compete.

But the entire point of sport is entertainment, spectacle.  The league only survives to the extent that fans enjoy the game and want to watch.

Harden and the Rockets are pressing on the dividing line between those two things.  Which should win out?

He's great but he's no fun to watch.  Does that matter?  Should it?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Well, the league survived the Pat Reilly Knicks and Heat and the disgusting to watch, grabbing, holding offense stifling, defense that turned so many games into 79-76 slugfests. That was some seriously ugly basketball

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Well, the league survived the Pat Reilly Knicks and Heat and the disgusting to watch, grabbing, holding offense stifling, defense that turned so many games into 79-76 slugfests. That was some seriously ugly basketball
I'd rather watch a defensive slog than 50 FTs and 40 threes

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The league also implemented a bunch of rule changes to try and phase out that style of play that many fans didn't like, right?

I wonder if the league will do something about the "frees and threes" style of play before it becomes too widespread.

The tricky thing is that ball movement leading to outside shots is fun to watch.  See: 13/14 Spurs, 15/16 Warriors.

But heavy isolation basketball aimed at generating a lot of fouls and step back threes ... that stinks.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
i d trade Wannamaker for Harden

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

The league also implemented a bunch of rule changes to try and phase out that style of play that many fans didn't like, right?

I wonder if the league will do something about the "frees and threes" style of play before it becomes too widespread.

The tricky thing is that ball movement leading to outside shots is fun to watch.  See: 13/14 Spurs, 15/16 Warriors.

But heavy isolation basketball aimed at generating a lot of fouls and step back threes ... that stinks.
Yes. Yes the league did change the rules to stop that. Not sure they will make rule changes to stop Harden's ugly game though. Just can't see how to do it other than to tell the refs to stop giving superstars "superstar" foul calls.

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
Yeah, some people love the guy. I view James Harden and his game as everything that is wrong with basketball.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

This.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I actually enjoy watching Harden's isolation unless he's ice cold lol, he just has so many tricks in his bag to set up efficient looks for himself and his teammates. Obviously it starts looking like crap if he isn't humming, but when he's on his game is really fun to watch imo.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
To me his game is boring.  The star calls he gets are ridiculous.   Great player who can score but not win a modern day Bernard King.