Author Topic: Am I crazy to be bummed Embid is missing the game?  (Read 2425 times)

Am I crazy to be bummed Embid is missing the game?
« on: January 09, 2020, 02:27:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
While it does increase our chances of winning, it kind of has a few negative outcomes for us. For one, if we do win now it is kind of like "so what they were missing their best player." If we lose it is like "Oh god we can't even beat them without their best player." Third this eliminates their really clunky lineup of Horford Simmons Embiid, Harris and Richardson (which has been creating discontent on their team). Lastly I just wanted to see how both teams looked at full strength last game they were missing horford and we were missing Smart. I really wanted to see if we could handle their big lineup better than we did in the first game. Anyone else feel this way? 

Re: Am I crazy to be bummed Embid is missing the game?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 02:29:15 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
Nope, I want to see how we stack up and get experience vs their full squad- no excuses.  Hope Cs are p---ed about how they played against Spurs.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 02:32:24 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Not at all. Nothing abnormal about wanting to beat a team at its best, or even just to watch the best players in the world do their thing no matter the uniform.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 02:46:06 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Totally understandable to be bummed.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 02:56:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I'm not bummed. Given our recent play, and two losses already to them, I want to maximize our chances of beating Sixers.

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 03:40:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm not bummed. You play the games on the schedule against whomever that team can put on the court. And you play to win.

Every team is dangerous regardless of who on their team is injured. Proof? How about the Wizards just two games ago.

I am sure the team's fans that beat us when we were shorthanded couldn't care in the least that we were shorthanded. So I am not going to care if Philly isn't at 100%.

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 03:57:09 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
C's need to win games regardless of the opponent. 2 seed is the golden goose in this years East.

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 04:12:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It's completely understandable to be bummed. I however am not, which is also understandable. Folks, it all makes sense when the endeavor is fundamentally meaningless.

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 04:18:40 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
C's need to win games regardless of the opponent. 2 seed is the golden goose in this years East.

I agree 100%.  Being the 3.4 or 5 seed in the East this year is problematic.

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 04:23:35 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
While it does increase our chances of winning, it kind of has a few negative outcomes for us. For one, if we do win now it is kind of like "so what they were missing their best player." If we lose it is like "Oh god we can't even beat them without their best player." Third this eliminates their really clunky lineup of Horford Simmons Embiid, Harris and Richardson (which has been creating discontent on their team). Lastly I just wanted to see how both teams looked at full strength last game they were missing horford and we were missing Smart. I really wanted to see if we could handle their big lineup better than we did in the first game. Anyone else feel this way?

I agree for a different reason. I love watching Marcus Smart torture him. Boogie isn't around for Smart harass anymore, so, I have to settle for Embiid.

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 04:26:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Couldn’t agree more.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 05:14:56 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I think this game is a loss of sorts, either way—if the Cs lose, they drop to 0-3 vs. Philly this season, and folks will say, "They can't even beat Philly with Embiid out"; if the Cs win, folks will say, "They can only beat Philly with Embiid out."

I'll gladly take the W, but a loss tonight would be completely unsurprising.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 06:00:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
UPDATE:

Looks like Embiid has been further diagnosed and has a torn radial collateral ligament in the fourth metacarpal in his left hand, not just a dislocation and there is currently no timetable for his return.

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 06:09:05 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
WOW...

I dislike Joel being that he is on one of hated enemies' teams but still I wish him a speedy recovery.

The Injury bug discriminates against no one.

I'd rather he PLAYS, gets frustrated from our defense against him and lose but oh well.

Get well SOON, Old School.

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 06:11:07 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
The Celtics need to wake up and as Ainge said - show up planning win instead of showing up planning to play a game. For that reason it might have been better if Embid were playing. 

But first game after they find out that they're missing their star - expect a big effort from the Sixers tonight.  The Celtics had better not come out flat again.