Author Topic: Davis rejected max contract!  (Read 1910 times)

Davis rejected max contract!
« on: January 07, 2020, 04:25:00 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Re: Davis rejected max contract!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 04:27:59 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Because its in his best interests to wait until July.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 04:37:26 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I don't understand why... I will be more than surprised if he leaves LA

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutchpoints.com/lakers-news-anthony-davis-turns-down-las-max-contract-extension/amp/

If he signs the extension now he would only get $148m, if he waits till July he can get $202m.

Same reason Kyrie waited to sign an extension with us, oh wait...

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 05:11:17 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutchpoints.com/lakers-news-anthony-davis-turns-down-las-max-contract-extension/amp/

Rejecting or declining his offer now and reaching the UFA agency, the Lakers will have the ability to outbid any suitors by giving him the estimated $202 million, and 5 years.
Luke Adams of Hoopsrumors.com
For Davis, a 20% raise on his current $27.09MM salary would work out to $32.51MM. His maximum 2020/21 salary if he waits until the offseason projects to be $34.8MM. Additionally, his Bird rights would make him eligible for five full years on a new contract if he re-signs with the Lakers at that time. He’d be limited to a four-year deal if he changes teams.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 06:10:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Rejecting or declining his offer now and reaching the UFA agency, the Lakers will have the ability to outbid any suitors by giving him the estimated $202 million, and 5 years.
Luke Adams of Hoopsrumors.com
For Davis, a 20% raise on his current $27.09MM salary would work out to $32.51MM. His maximum 2020/21 salary if he waits until the offseason projects to be $34.8MM. Additionally, his Bird rights would make him eligible for five full years on a new contract if he re-signs with the Lakers at that time. He’d be limited to a four-year deal if he changes teams.

It's been said before, but this rule needs to change. Teams shouldn't be left in the lurch on if they can re-sign their players before the reach UFA. If a player was offered a 5-yr max before the season and rejected it, a team could explore trade options before it is too late (Re: see Kyrie).

The weirdest thing about this is that players with one year left on their rookie contracts can sign a 5-yr max extension, but players finishing up a standard contract cannot. If anything, it should be the other way around as players finishing a rookie contract are RFAs and basically forced to stay if the team wants to keep them.

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 05:05:39 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

It's not a max contract, it's a max extension. As others have said he will get more when he signs a new max contract waiting for free agency, rather than an extension of his existing contract. Also Rich Paul told everyone he was going into free agency at the end of his contract regardless of who signed him.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D