Author Topic: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander impressive  (Read 3938 times)

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander impressive
« on: December 29, 2019, 08:33:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Mr Slomo... cant believe he can excel playing in slow motion literally

32 pts vs Raps tonight

SGA vs Tatum is an interesting comparison...

Re: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander impressive
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 09:58:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The gap defensively gives Tatum the edge for me. Tatum is one of the elite help defenders at the wing
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 09:59:15 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Mr Slomo... cant believe he can excel playing in slow motion literally

32 pts vs Raps tonight

SGA vs Tatum is an interesting comparison...
TP!

He won the game for the Thunder with a clutch 2-pointer and a huge defensive rebound. I'm really impressed by his maturity level on the court. He's reading the game like a vet!

Doc hardly ever plays any rookies, yet he was starting SGA over Beverley last season. He even helped the Clips make the playoffs without Tobias Harris (they traded him at the deadline). This season he's averaging 19.4 points on 45.1% from the floor. He's also proving that he can play off the ball alongside a dominant ball handler like CP3. 

I'd love us to go after SGA. The kid is playing winning basketball at the age of 21!

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 10:43:21 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
The gap defensively gives Tatum the edge for me. Tatum is one of the elite help defenders at the wing
If you ask me, SGA > Tatum all day long on D. I would argue that SGA is already a top defensive PG in the league, along the likes of Smart, Simmons, Ntilikina, Beverley, Jrue Holiday, Derrick White (to name a few). Unlike most defensive PGs though, he's super effective on the offensive side of the ball as well.

I don't buy the argument that Tatum is an elite help defender at the wing. I mean, if Tatum is elite, what about Kawhi/George/Siakam/PJ Tucker/Draymond Green/Robert Covington etc? Not to mention, he's a below average on-ball defender. Getting steals and deflections is great, but he's straggling to stay in front of his opponents.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 11:11:35 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 01:33:11 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If you ask me, SGA > Tatum all day long on D. I would argue that SGA is already a top defensive PG in the league, along the likes of Smart, Simmons, Ntilikina, Beverley, Jrue Holiday, Derrick White (to name a few). Unlike most defensive PGs though, he's super effective on the offensive side of the ball as well.

I don't buy the argument that Tatum is an elite help defender at the wing. I mean, if Tatum is elite, what about Kawhi/George/Siakam/PJ Tucker/Draymond Green/Robert Covington etc? Not to mention, he's a below average on-ball defender. Getting steals and deflections is great, but he's straggling to stay in front of his opponents.

Agree with this

SGA is much more poise and better finishing in traffic/around the net than Tatum

Both are solid and versatile on D. But man did SGA make it hell on D for Van Vleet and Lowry . Like an octopus that wouldnt leave them alone

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 01:51:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I don't agree with your statements in general, but even then, SGA can't provide what Tatum can, but we already have a guard who does all SGA does defensively, only better.

Those last 4 guys you mentioned aren't in Tatum's league with help defence anyway. Don't think PG13 is either.

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 02:10:42 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Agree with this

SGA is much more poise and better finishing in traffic/around the net than Tatum

Both are solid and versatile on D. But man did SGA make it hell on D for Van Vleet and Lowry . Like an octopus that wouldnt leave them alone

That was my main complaint during the C's Raptors game.  We let Lowry and Van Fleet have all the space in the world.  I was calling for Tremont Waters off the bench to apply some pesky style pressure.  But i'm not even sure Tre is with the team right now...

SGA is great...let's see if he keeps it up.  Probably he will. 

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 02:25:32 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Highlight vs Raptors

32 pts

https://youtu.be/xBEtov4O31s

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 02:30:26 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I don't agree with your statements in general, but even then, SGA can't provide what Tatum can, but we already have a guard who does all SGA does defensively, only better.

Those last 4 guys you mentioned aren't in Tatum's league with help defence anyway. Don't think PG13 is either.
Draymond Green isn't in Tatum's league when it comes to help defence?! Tatum isn't even in Draymond's universe when it comes to defensive impact. Btw I'm not sure if Tatum is that much better than Covington and George at help defence, he's probably a bit better due to his ability to wreak havoc in a free safety role but I don't think it's a huge difference.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 02:36:15 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Draymond Green isn't in Tatum's league when it comes to help defence?! Tatum isn't even in Draymond's universe when it comes to defensive impact. Btw I'm not sure if Tatum is that much better than Covington and George at help defence, he's probably a bit better due to his ability to wreak havoc in a free safety role but I don't think it's a huge difference.
Sorry, I more meant in terms of wing defenders. Draymond doesn't play on the wing at all anymore, as Robinson and Burks take up most of the wing minutes.

I don't think it's a huge difference, but it's a difference. Having the luxury of playing alongside guys like Brown and Smart allows him to wreak havoc, as you say. And I simply think SGA would not have that defensive impact here.

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 02:51:18 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Sorry, I more meant in terms of wing defenders. Draymond doesn't play on the wing at all anymore, as Robinson and Burks take up most of the wing minutes.

I don't think it's a huge difference, but it's a difference. Having the luxury of playing alongside guys like Brown and Smart allows him to wreak havoc, as you say. And I simply think SGA would not have that defensive impact here.
Ah okay. Yeah good points, I was just baffled about the Draymond bit. He didn't have outlier defensive impact like Russell and Hakeem, but he's in that next tier of great defensive players.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 03:07:24 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Ah okay. Yeah good points, I was just baffled about the Draymond bit. He didn't have outlier defensive impact like Russell and Hakeem, but he's in that next tier of great defensive players.
Yeah, for sure. I'd like him a lot more if he wasn't prone to dirty shots and being a loud-mouth, but it's still sad to see him struggle like he is. Wouldn't mind him here...

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 03:35:55 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Is this another Jayson Tatum sucks thread?

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 06:44:07 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Yeah, for sure. I'd like him a lot more if he wasn't prone to dirty shots and being a loud-mouth, but it's still sad to see him struggle like he is. Wouldn't mind him here...
Absolutely, he would've been one of my favourite players if he approached the game as a KG-like prick than a Draymond-like prick lol. And yeah I certainly wouldn't mind him here :laugh:, he'd unlock our offence while causing our defence to explode to historic levels.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 07:51:31 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He has had some good showings. I do hope he gets more shine but he has to earn it being the full time leader. Right now he is kind of like Brown in that some games he leads them but most he is just complementary.