Author Topic: Sources: NBA considering reseeding conference finalists, postseason play-in  (Read 12659 times)

Re: Sources: NBA considering reseeding conference finalists, postseason play-in
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 11:39:32 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think the mid season tournament may look something like the Champions league soccer, with a group phase, then a knockout finals.

My understanding is the top seeds from each conference would be re-seeded on regular season record, then they may have a bye from the first round, while there is some sort of playoff for the 8th seed.

Seems pretty complicated, but I think once they iron out the details it will break up the regular season, and add another layer to the playoffs.

After reading the details of the proposed changes from another page

I think it would be kind of fun

1st - in season tourney (around Jan)
-  Best top teams in each conference +  next 2 best records - 6 team round robin tourney (money prize and bragging rights)

2nd - To determine 7 and 8th seeding
- Once the season ends (78 games) -  7th and 8th seed play to determine 7th place.   And then the loser of that one game, plays the winner of 9th and 10th seed game for the 8th seed

3rd -  semi finals of the playoffs re seed
With the final four teams remaining. Re seeded depending on regular season record.   Potential west - west or east vs east finals

The bad.  A good chunk of teams will only play 78 games losing out on revenue.   Also some teams could play up to 82 or 83 games IF by a strange situation a team is 1st by the in season tourney but end up 7th place by the end of the season (example).

The good.  On the tip of your toes from start to end of the season. Regular season intensity likely rises.  More tv/stadium revenue potential.  Less incentive for player load management.

According to this article, the tournament would be in November, not January.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28145944/sources-nba-considering-reseeding-conference-finalists-postseason-play-in

Anyway, I sorta get the tournament idea but how does that affect the playoff seeding?

Or will it remain the same with the best records in each conference seeded 1-6 and the 7-8 seed teams tip-off in a play-in game to determine who's 7th and who's 8th?

I don't know....this sounds like changes just for the sake of changes.

If you're going to go this route, better off keeping things the way they are or reseed the playoffs so all 16 playoff teams are ranked based on their record, regardless of conference.

This would make so much more sense and make regular season games more important.

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2019, 12:04:05 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I'm gonna be honest here, I really don't get the point of the midseason tournament, it is just useless to me. The NBA already has an elimination tournament, its called the playoffs. Putting another mid season is not going to generate the interest the NBA thinks because winning it doesn't really mean anything, there will still be 2/3 a season to go! The playoffs matter because its the culmination of something.

The play in in for bottom seeding is fine, thats what the MLB does for its playoffs. I don't think it really matters all that much because unlike in MLB lower seeded teams never actually win it all soo the stakes really arent that high. Its a pay in to decide who gets smoked by the 1 seeds. So take it or leave it, its just kind of pointless.

And the reseeding at the conference finals is also fine too, its really just to keep the WCF from essentially being the NBA finals. As somebody who had to watch LeBron James take advantage of the east weakness for a decade its a little annoying that now that he's in the harder conference this is suddenly a consideration.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 12:09:30 AM by keevsnick »

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 09:20:05 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I actually really like the tournament idea, but mainly because I've often been curious what an NCAA tournament type setup would be like for the NBA if they found a way for the players to be invested.  That will be the trick with this idea too.  How do you incentify it?  Is money, a trophy and pride enough?  Like the article said, that might take some time to develop.
Yup

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2019, 11:17:31 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I actually really like the tournament idea, but mainly because I've often been curious what an NCAA tournament type setup would be like for the NBA if they found a way for the players to be invested.  That will be the trick with this idea too.  How do you incentify it?  Is money, a trophy and pride enough?  Like the article said, that might take some time to develop.

Mainly money and pride imo

But it will be interesting how they will setup these mini tourneys on the fly

Schedules are usually locked prior to the season. Especially since co ordination is required with the NHL (if teams share stadium)

Unless they plan to do it at a single venue

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2019, 11:33:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Hate the tournament idea, I don't like reseeding across conference (within conference sure), and less games is a whatever.

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2019, 11:40:29 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

I don’t like most of these ideas, but the league should reseed each Conference’s playoff bracket after each playoff round, like the NFL and NHL.

I also do not see how these ideas really address what I consider to be the main issues of regular season play:

1) Tanking
2) Load management

I think the in-season tournament could address load-management if there was a major incentive for qualifying and competing, but how much does that need to be to get Kawhi to play a few more games? 

I hate the idea of a play-in game or series for 7-8 seeds given that these seeds almost never get past the 1st round.

If there was one MAJOR change I could make, I would actually make a tournament for the teams that are in the lottery to play for draft position.  Takes the incentive for tanking away permanently.

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2019, 11:42:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I didn't even think about the play in tournament. I really don't like that, over 50% of the league already is in the playoffs adding more at the margins just means there is less meaning in the regular season.

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2019, 12:05:37 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I'm pro having a cup and a league. It would be on par with what the rest of the world does. That being said, 4 game reduction doesn't make much sense imo. If they want to have a mid season tournament and hopefully get rid of B2B games in general, they need to reduce the season schedule by than 4 games. I believe it would help solve the load management issue a bit as well.

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2019, 01:39:24 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I don’t like most of these ideas, but the league should reseed each Conference’s playoff bracket after each playoff round, like the NFL and NHL.

I also do not see how these ideas really address what I consider to be the main issues of regular season play:

1) Tanking
2) Load management

I think the in-season tournament could address load-management if there was a major incentive for qualifying and competing, but how much does that need to be to get Kawhi to play a few more games? 

I hate the idea of a play-in game or series for 7-8 seeds given that these seeds almost never get past the 1st round.

If there was one MAJOR change I could make, I would actually make a tournament for the teams that are in the lottery to play for draft position.  Takes the incentive for tanking away permanently.

You mean to have players compete for a chance to get draft position that could cost them their job?

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2019, 02:53:29 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

1) Tanking
2) Load management

You mean to have players compete for a chance to get draft position that could cost them their job?

Yes that is exactly what I mean.

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2019, 07:07:11 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Hate the tournament idea, I don't like reseeding across conference (within conference sure), and less games is a whatever.

I hate the tournament idea too. I wouldn’t mind reseeding the playoffs so the 16 best teams make the playoffs, regardless of conference.

That way you eliminate these 8 seed pseudo playoff teams that make it in by default.

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2019, 10:05:47 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

1) Tanking
2) Load management

Yes that is exactly what I mean.
That just makes tanking to miss the playoffs a real thing.  You are so much better as a 40 win team to miss the playoffs and then win the lottery tournament then you are to make the playoffs and get blitzed in the 1st round.  You also damage bad teams for no reason other than a non-issue of tanking.  Tanking isn't a problem.  It is a manufactured media thing. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2019, 10:43:26 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
no need to tinker with playoffs or a horrific in-season tournament.  leave as is including the seeding.  if a #8 seed knocks off the #1, good for them.  let them reap the current rewards of playing the 4 or 5 seed in the next round instead of penalizing them by forcing them to play the likely #2 seed.

as for load management, if you want to end that, have the team benching their top players take only half the compensation they currently get for playing that game and give it to the team playing them.  hit them in the wallet to drive the point home.  Could also offer a refund or discount to fans that paid for tickets to those games and have the team load managing their stars pay for the refunds.  that would be hitting them in the wallet and making it up to fans in a way (not quite as good as getting to actually see the players you came to see.)

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2019, 10:48:58 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Here's a really important question to ask: I know that hardcore NBA fans probably won't like these play-in games and mid-season tourneys, but will they still watch, talk about, and follow the coverage?

In my opinion, they absolutely will. On top of that, mixing things up like this might drum up more interest from fringe fans. It's a savvy move that has very little downside.

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2019, 01:00:15 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Here's a really important question to ask: I know that hardcore NBA fans probably won't like these play-in games and mid-season tourneys, but will they still watch, talk about, and follow the coverage?

In my opinion, they absolutely will. On top of that, mixing things up like this might drum up more interest from fringe fans. It's a savvy move that has very little downside.
who cares about fringe fans?