Author Topic: Sources: NBA considering reseeding conference finalists, postseason play-in  (Read 12671 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28145944/sources-nba-considering-reseeding-conference-finalists-postseason-play-in

Read it a few times and I still dont get it

What are they trying to propose?? Example appreciated

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I hope not,

WNBA new playoff format is a mess
MLB wild card play in game is lame imo
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
I think the mid season tournament may look something like the Champions league soccer, with a group phase, then a knockout finals.

My understanding is the top seeds from each conference would be re-seeded on regular season record, then they may have a bye from the first round, while there is some sort of playoff for the 8th seed.

Seems pretty complicated, but I think once they iron out the details it will break up the regular season, and add another layer to the playoffs.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I think the mid season tournament may look something like the Champions league soccer, with a group phase, then a knockout finals.

My understanding is the top seeds from each conference would be re-seeded on regular season record, then they may have a bye from the first round, while there is some sort of playoff for the 8th seed.

Seems pretty complicated, but I think once they iron out the details it will break up the regular season, and add another layer to the playoffs.

After reading the details of the proposed changes from another page

I think it would be kind of fun

1st - in season tourney (around Jan)
-  Best top teams in each conference +  next 2 best records - 6 team round robin tourney (money prize and bragging rights)

2nd - To determine 7 and 8th seeding
- Once the season ends (78 games) -  7th and 8th seed play to determine 7th place.   And then the loser of that one game, plays the winner of 9th and 10th seed game for the 8th seed

3rd -  semi finals of the playoffs re seed
With the final four teams remaining. Re seeded depending on regular season record.   Potential west - west or east vs east finals

The bad.  A good chunk of teams will only play 78 games losing out on revenue.   Also some teams could play up to 82 or 83 games IF by a strange situation a team is 1st by the in season tourney but end up 7th place by the end of the season (example).

The good.  On the tip of your toes from start to end of the season. Regular season intensity likely rises.  More tv/stadium revenue potential.  Less incentive for player load management.   
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 04:35:45 PM by Tr1boy »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Silver NBA would like this change. But i can see why the players might think twice

1. due to more work/or intensity

Why the owners might think twice

2.  How to make up revenue for 4 games missed by a good chunk of the teams.  Though Silver proposes some type of revenue sharing mechanism (from the tourneys) 

3. Will be going head to head with the NFL playoffs.  Revenue potential may not be that high. 

could also affect TV networks as around that time (month of January), they are more focused on the NFL playoffs. 

« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 07:49:36 PM by Tr1boy »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
ANYTHING to address the cheating known as load management is welcome. Glad to see that the NBA is concerned about the load management nonsense I brought up in another thread.

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
if re-seeding will be done based on regular season records, are teams from the east and west gonna start playing each other a more equal amount of times?

seems like teams playing in a weaker division/conference would benefit from this otherwise, unless im misunderstanding the procedure
Greg

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
The in-season tournament idea is weak.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
The in-season tournament idea is weak.

It is my least favorite idea out of three

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I think they are all dumb ideas. 

I mean last the the 9th and 10th seeds win 39, 39, 39, and 37 games.  Year before that 39, 36, 46, 42.  So the 2 western teams maybe deserved a chance of course they would have knocked out a 47 win team.  Year before 41, 37, 40, 34.  I mean does anyone want to watch a 34 win Pelicans team in the playoffs just because they had 2 good games. Every once in awhile a really solid team gets the bad luck of the draw but they still would go in over a better team. 

The in season tournament is just a strange thing to do unless you are going to have every team play in them and put some real stakes on it.  Like say you win the tournament you get tie breakers on playoff seeding or the better draft pick.  Still not a fan but at least make it worth something.

Reseeding the final four seems weird also since the schedules are so imbalanced.  And you have mo guarantee of east vs. west which is kind of the point of conferences
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

NBA Considering Reseeding
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 08:48:35 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28145944/sources-nba-considering-reseeding-conference-finalists-postseason-play-in

Hate the idea of mixing up conferences in the playoffs (Celtics V Lakers should always be the Finals; it’s not fair to the top team in t he league to possibly have to travel to and from the east and west coasts throughout the playoffs based on chance), so here’s an idea to preserve that, virtually eliminate the practice of tanking, and add huge excitement to April:

Regular season is still 82 games. After the 78th game, which is always scheduled to occur immediately after the NCAA national championship game, seeds 1-7 are locked in for each conference (usually happens anyway by then). Those 14 teams play their final four games against each other in a random order that works with scheduling, availability of venues, etc. While seeds 1-7 are locked in for each respective conference, who gets each seed may change until all 82 games are complete (and we could have higher stake games since the 14 best are fighting each other the last four games of the year).

The remaining 16 teams play in a March Madness-style tournament (market it as “April Madness”) where the worst 8 teams in each conference play a single-game do-or-die to either advance and win their conference 8th seed or become eliminated for the season. 15 of these 16 teams will enter the lottery after the season with equal odds of winning the first overall pick (with one exception below). Seeding is the same as for the playoffs (best record versus worst, second best versus second worst, etc.). Perhaps neutral sites are booked and rotated each year similarly to the March Madness tourney.

The winners of each 8th seed play each other in the 82nd game (coin toss to determine who gets home court) and the winner of the April Madness Tournament wins a 50% chance of winning the draft lottery regardless of what they do in the NBA playoffs (the loser has the same odds as the other losers). Ultimately, the winner of April Madness gets the 8th seed and a 50% chance of winning the lottery. The runner-up gets the 8th seed in their conference and a 3.33% chance of winning the lottery (50% divided by 15 teams, so 1 of 30 balls for the losers of the tourney and 15 of 30 balls for the winner of the tourney). To make it even more exciting, right after the game the lottery is conducted where 15 of 30 balls are in the bin at the beginning of the game and the final 15 balls are placed into the bin for the winning team. A triumphant end to April Madness.

All other teams are eliminated with a 3.33% chance of winning the lottery (so some teams will see their season end on the 79th, 80th and 81st games...or perhaps the losers play the losers in some random order to have everyone play 82 games altogether?). To increase parity, the non-playoff teams will be given some sort of extra cap space the following year based on their overall record, and an automatic revenue adjustment to make up for ending on their 79th, 80th or 81st game (that is, compensation if they had fewer than 41 home games).

Thoughts? Ways to improve this?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 09:41:16 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

Re: NBA Considering Reseeding
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 09:41:54 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Maybe this makes more sense in the Around the NBA forum? Idea so thought maybe it belonged here

Re: Sources: NBA considering reseeding conference finalists, postseason play-in
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 09:53:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don’t like most of these ideas, but the league should reseed each Conference’s playoff bracket after each playoff round, like the NFL and NHL.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2019, 10:27:07 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
How about combining both conferences into one with the best record team being #1 seed and the worst record team of reaching the postseason is the #16 seed

And then have it like 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, 3 vs 14 etc etc.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 11:33:19 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
How about combining both conferences into one with the best record team being #1 seed and the worst record team of reaching the postseason is the #16 seed

And then have it like 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, 3 vs 14 etc etc.

If Silver is so concerned about changing the playoff format, this would seem to be the easiest and most practical idea.

And I've got to admit, after reading the article about the in-season tournament and how that would affect playoff seeding, they lost me at hello.

If someone could possibly explain it to me, I'd appreciate it.