Author Topic: I dislike Kyrie(merged threads)  (Read 60641 times)

Re: Did Kyrie quit on the celtics in the playoffs last year?
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2019, 09:58:43 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
Quit would actually mean not playing.

Kyrie, to my mind, just couldn't of cared less....there is a difference.

« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2019, 10:00:20 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Kyrie, to my mind, just couldn't of cared less....there is a difference.

so you are just making up your own definition now?

« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2019, 10:05:29 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I don't think he quit, I just think he didn't care and didn't look to modify his game in the playoffs when plan A wasn't working.

Not caring is essentially the same as quitting. Physically present, mentally absent.

His body is literally on the game, but his mind isn't. So I guess that counts.

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2019, 10:06:33 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
No, the definition of quit has been around for many, many years. I think it may have its origins from Latin, but I am not sure.

If you want to argue semantics though, you've got the wrong guy.

« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2019, 10:11:45 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
No, the definition of quit has been around for many, many years. I think it may have its origins from Latin, but I am not sure.

If you want to argue semantics though, you've got the wrong guy.

Argue? Nope not necessary I will rather go with the consensus here. He quit!!!

« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2019, 10:12:17 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
I don't think he quit, I just think he didn't care and didn't look to modify his game in the playoffs when plan A wasn't working.

Not caring is essentially the same as quitting. Physically present, mentally absent.

His body is literally on the game, but his mind isn't. So I guess that counts.

TP

« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2019, 10:14:31 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
Exactly, heaven forbid anyone have an opinion different to yours.

« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2019, 10:25:53 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
So I guess it’s just coincidence he had his 4 worst shooting games of his career in a row on the final 4 games? Dude was checked out there is no question he quit. Plus the comment after the game of him looking forward to watching Toronto and Milwaukee play? I don’t understand the Kyrie apologists.
of course it isn't a coincidence it is called a great defensive team focusing on one player in a series when no one else was shooting way so they could really key on Kyrie.  Tatum shot 36.4% for the series.  Did he give up?  Rozier was 28.6%, did he give up?  Smart shot a team low 9.1%, did he give up?  Morris shot very well, Horford and Brown were pretty solid, but everyone else was hot garbage.  That sometimes happens when you play the best team in the conference.

And here's the thing, Irving has always been prone to terrible shooting nights.  He has had plenty of games where he has been awful and followed them up with awful games.  He has had strings of 3 in 4 or 4 in 5 where he shot worse than the Bucks series.  His inconsistency shooting shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.  That is who he has always been.

I disagree. I judge his performance and body language and they both sucked. He looked like he was already looking forward and certainly judging by his character with all these stories coming out it just backs it up even more. He didn’t want to play for the Celtics, his teammates or Brad Stevens.
Irving's body language always sucks.  Whether is playing well or playing poorly.  He carries himself the same way.  He is a bad leader, always has been, but you guys are reading far too much into a series when the better team won.  Boston wasn't that good last year.  I said it all year long.  Boston was a team with flaws and they started with its best player, but he was far from the only flaw on that roster last year.  That team lacked top end talent, had significantly personality issues, and was poorly constructed to begin with.  They quite simply got manhandled by a better team.
Sorry, but this is ridiculous.

They didn't seem to lack top-end talent nor did they seem "poorly constructed" when they won 55 games (without Hayward) and made it all the way to Game 7 of the ECF (without Hayward AND Kyrie) in 2018. Let's also not forget that those 2018 Celtics beat the Bucks (who were understandably not as good that year but still largely had the same roster) in the playoffs that season.

The Celtics had more individual talent than the Bucks last year and it was not even remotely close. They were probably the second-most talented team in the NBA.

Talent was not the issue. Neither was roster construction.

The problem was egos up and down the roster (not just Kyrie) that prevented the Celtics from achieving what they should have. If Kyrie weren't injured at the end of 2018 (not even Hayward; JUST Kyrie), that team goes to the finals, and I am 95 percent positive they go to the finals again last year (and probably win with all of Golden State's issues).

What happened last season was that Tatum, Brown and Rozier were feeling themselves after the ECF and run weren't that willing to lose shots (and playing time) to Irving and Hayward. Irving then compounded the problem by being a horrendous leader and disconnecting himself from his teammates.

A disastrous injury to Hayward and Kyrie having to get knee surgery at the end of 2018 is what ruined what should have been a long run of success. It wasn't a "lack of top-end talent," nor was it "poor roster construction."

I personally have zero ill will toward Irving. I don't particularly care about him. But it's pretty out there to deny that he mentally checked out in the Bucks series. I'm not saying he outright quit, but it was blatantly obvious that his focus was not there after Game 2.
The ECF run was a fluke.  They played 2 teams that weren't quite ready and lost to a trainwreck of a Cavs team.  Sometimes things just break right and teams go on a run that is not truly reflective of the talent.  That of course made everyone think Boston was this ultra talented team destined for greatness, but that was hogwash. 

And yes last year's team was poorly constructed though was better constructed than this year's team which is just a complete mess.  Ainge has failed to put together well constructed and fitting teams for two consecutive off seasons.  At some point the fanbase needs to stop giving him a pass for putting together hot messes. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2019, 10:37:14 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
So I guess it’s just coincidence he had his 4 worst shooting games of his career in a row on the final 4 games? Dude was checked out there is no question he quit. Plus the comment after the game of him looking forward to watching Toronto and Milwaukee play? I don’t understand the Kyrie apologists.
of course it isn't a coincidence it is called a great defensive team focusing on one player in a series when no one else was shooting way so they could really key on Kyrie.  Tatum shot 36.4% for the series.  Did he give up?  Rozier was 28.6%, did he give up?  Smart shot a team low 9.1%, did he give up?  Morris shot very well, Horford and Brown were pretty solid, but everyone else was hot garbage.  That sometimes happens when you play the best team in the conference.

And here's the thing, Irving has always been prone to terrible shooting nights.  He has had plenty of games where he has been awful and followed them up with awful games.  He has had strings of 3 in 4 or 4 in 5 where he shot worse than the Bucks series.  His inconsistency shooting shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.  That is who he has always been.

So let me get this straight. The "superstar" guy has not 1, not 2, but 3 straight bad shooting nights. He CHOOSES to foolishly try and defend Giannis while going away from the overall defensive gameplan, and he also took some really, really dumb shots during the game, some of which were airballs. Like not just iso-shots, but fadeaway 3-point attempts with 16 seconds left on the shotclock. That doesn't entirely have to do with the Bucks' defensive gameplan.

And we're supposed to believe he didn't quit on the team??

Please. I know others in the series underperformed. But there were moments when I saw guys like Smart and Morris hustle and make plays even when struggling to try and fight back. Never saw that from Kyrie. His body language showed it, and once the series ended, his interviews clearly screamed, "thanks for everything Boston, but I'm out". Hell, a week ago he basically admitted, "it was always going to be Brooklyn", and Ainge himself said he had the feeling back in March last season that Kyrie was leaving for sure.

It's one thing to lose the series, but to basically get swept after Game 1 in that kind of fashion? Kyrie got exposed big time too
The title winning season in Cleveland Kyrie had 4 consecutive games where he shot the following: 27.3, 39.1, 28.6, 21.7.  It was the regular season, but still shows he has those stretches.  Even in the Finals winning series against GS he had consecutive games of 31.8 and 35.7 and for good measure threw in a 38.9 game.  His last year in Cleveland he had 3 consecutive games of 33.3, 27.8, 33.3.  He had 10 regular season games at 33.3 or below including a season low 17.6%.  Again, even in the playoffs he had stretches of crappy shooting, for example he shot 37.5% in the Toronto playoff series with 2 games at or below 33.3.

Kyrie is incredible when he is on, but he is also off a lot.  Sucks it was in the playoffs, but Boston was playing the best team in the conference, who just happened to be a superb defensive team that could focus on him because most of the rest of the team was also shooting like crap in the series.  I was one of Kyrie's biggest detractors while he was on the team, often got called names for my takes on him, but it was because I knew who he was and who Kyrie is, is exactly the type that could go completely cold at inopportune times.  That is Kyrie's m.o.  He is unguardable when he is on in part because he hits these crazy shots, but he also has those stretches where his poor decision making isn't bailed out by his shooting. 

« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2019, 11:39:59 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

So let me get this straight. The "superstar" guy has not 1, not 2, but 3 straight bad shooting nights. He CHOOSES to foolishly try and defend Giannis while going away from the overall defensive gameplan, and he also took some really, really dumb shots during the game, some of which were airballs. Like not just iso-shots, but fadeaway 3-point attempts with 16 seconds left on the shotclock. That doesn't entirely have to do with the Bucks' defensive gameplan.

And we're supposed to believe he didn't quit on the team??

Please. I know others in the series underperformed. But there were moments when I saw guys like Smart and Morris hustle and make plays even when struggling to try and fight back. Never saw that from Kyrie. His body language showed it, and once the series ended, his interviews clearly screamed, "thanks for everything Boston, but I'm out". Hell, a week ago he basically admitted, "it was always going to be Brooklyn", and Ainge himself said he had the feeling back in March last season that Kyrie was leaving for sure.

It's one thing to lose the series, but to basically get swept after Game 1 in that kind of fashion? Kyrie got exposed big time too
The title winning season in Cleveland Kyrie had 4 consecutive games where he shot the following: 27.3, 39.1, 28.6, 21.7.  It was the regular season, but still shows he has those stretches.  Even in the Finals winning series against GS he had consecutive games of 31.8 and 35.7 and for good measure threw in a 38.9 game.  His last year in Cleveland he had 3 consecutive games of 33.3, 27.8, 33.3.  He had 10 regular season games at 33.3 or below including a season low 17.6%.  Again, even in the playoffs he had stretches of crappy shooting, for example he shot 37.5% in the Toronto playoff series with 2 games at or below 33.3.

Kyrie is incredible when he is on, but he is also off a lot.  Sucks it was in the playoffs, but Boston was playing the best team in the conference, who just happened to be a superb defensive team that could focus on him because most of the rest of the team was also shooting like crap in the series.  I was one of Kyrie's biggest detractors while he was on the team, often got called names for my takes on him, but it was because I knew who he was and who Kyrie is, is exactly the type that could go completely cold at inopportune times.  That is Kyrie's m.o.  He is unguardable when he is on in part because he hits these crazy shots, but he also has those stretches where his poor decision making isn't bailed out by his shooting.

I can say  the same for that 2016 Cavs run. Who did Cavs ran into that eastern conference? Derozan led Raptors? Post surgery PG Pacers? Pistons with Andre Drummond? If anything, their run is also a fluke. Draymond got suspended in a championship sealing game, followed by Bogut going down. It didn't helped that Iggy also had a bad back during that time which reduced his effectiveness against Lebron when guarding him. It still came down to a single 3 point shot by Kyrie which sealed that series in the final minutes.

That Cavs team won't survive last year's eastern contenders as they were big and versatile. Lebron and Kyrie duo will also have to face tough defensive teams with very good star players such as the Bucks, Sixers and the defending champions, the Raptors. Lebron and Kyrie never had to face those level of opposition during their Eastern conference reign with the Cavs.

« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2019, 01:09:07 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Please don't make me come on KI. "Mama always said if I don't got nothing good to say, keep your mouth shut Forrest"

« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2019, 08:26:17 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
There's no way Kyrie Quit on the Celtics.  No NBA Player that is a professional would do something like that.  You don't see Lebron James Quitting on any team in his career.  This kind of stuff doesn't happen. 

(please read the above with sarcasm)

« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2019, 09:42:51 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
And refs don't fix games.

« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2019, 09:47:25 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Sometimes great players just have a bad string of games.  Even Larry Legend ended the 87 NBA Finals with games shooting 36.8, 38.9, 37.5 (Boston lost that series).  The next year in the ECF (again a loss), Bird shot 35.1% for the series and ended the series with a 4 of 17 night (23.5%) which was coming off a 9 of 25 (36%) night.  Boston lost both those games.  Bird had other games in the series at 30% and 35.3% along with a 40% and a series high 46.7%.  Did Bird quit on the Celtics against the Pistons in 88?

It sucks when it happens in the playoffs, but streaky shooters get cold sometimes.  Them the brakes.

« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2019, 10:20:19 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Sometimes great players just have a bad string of games.  Even Larry Legend ended the 87 NBA Finals with games shooting 36.8, 38.9, 37.5 (Boston lost that series).  The next year in the ECF (again a loss), Bird shot 35.1% for the series and ended the series with a 4 of 17 night (23.5%) which was coming off a 9 of 25 (36%) night.  Boston lost both those games.  Bird had other games in the series at 30% and 35.3% along with a 40% and a series high 46.7%.  Did Bird quit on the Celtics against the Pistons in 88?

It sucks when it happens in the playoffs, but streaky shooters get cold sometimes.  Them the brakes.

I'm normally all for stats, but I also saw what I saw. He had a bad shooting stretch, but that and "quitting" or "going rogue" or "hero ball" arent mutually exclusive. He shot poorly and when thigs went wrong started do stupid, dumb utterly undefendable things on defense and taking terrible, unforgivable shots.