Author Topic: 2023 Red Sox Season Thread  (Read 33806 times)

Re: 2023 Red Sox Season Thread
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2023, 02:21:54 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I don't think anything major will happen today. I think ownership/Bloom don't see (or want) this team being a legit contender until at least 2025, so anything good that happens before then is just a bonus, in their view. But looking at it that way, some of the things they've done in recent times don't make sense—why the trade for Schwarber? Why bid against themselves for Yoshida? Why sign Story to a big contract? They may as well have just used their own youngsters and a few journeymen and gotten higher draft picks.

I agree. That being said, it's tough to sell a tank job in Boston. I don't think the Hinkie plan would ever work here. People spend too much money at the game, and they care too much. I'm not sure what % of Red Sox games still sell out, but it's much higher than KC, Oak, or even Tampa. I'm sure that Bloom's mandate is something similar to "build the team for the future and make it look like we might care about today". I think it's obvious to many that they don't care about today, so maybe that is Bloom's failure.

I agree with all of this.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2023, 02:52:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
Verlander going back to Astros
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2023, 02:54:48 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 886
Verlander going back to Astros

Maybe now that he is gone, other pieces will start to fall?

« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2023, 07:25:28 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
If any Sox fan is disappointed with the lack of moves at the trade deadline, don't be.  This team is being built for a longer run, Chaim, if he's done one thing, built our minors back up to one of the best in baseball.  I'm glad they didn't give up the farm for rental players this year like Dembrowski would have.  That said, I feel the same way about the owners of the Sox as I do Wyc and his group now.  If they both sold to buyers would want to really win, it wouldn't break my heart.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2023, 08:04:05 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If any Sox fan is disappointed with the lack of moves at the trade deadline, don't be.  This team is being built for a longer run, Chaim, if he's done one thing, built our minors back up to one of the best in baseball.  I'm glad they didn't give up the farm for rental players this year like Dembrowski would have.  That said, I feel the same way about the owners of the Sox as I do Wyc and his group now.  If they both sold to buyers would want to really win, it wouldn't break my heart.

I agree, generally.  It would have been a waste of assets to use assets to upgrade the team, because this year's team isn't winning anything.  That said, if the team had spent more, maybe they actually would be at least dark horses for a championship.  Instead, one of the richest teams in baseball has essentially a league-average payroll.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2023, 08:40:15 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I agree, generally.  It would have been a waste of assets to use assets to upgrade the team, because this year's team isn't winning anything.  That said, if the team had spent more, maybe they actually would be at least dark horses for a championship.  Instead, one of the richest teams in baseball has essentially a league-average payroll.

This is true, kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy.  If they had spent more, particularly on starting pitching, maybe they would be in a position where spending (assets) for a rental would have made more sense.  At this point, I think it is unlikely they get a wild card, much less into an actual playoff series, but it is still possible.  I am not expecting much from Story and Sale but hard to know.  Can Sale be Chris Sale for 3 months?  Will Story give us another middle of the line up bat and the defense that we need?

« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2023, 09:06:46 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2508

This is true, kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy.  If they had spent more, particularly on starting pitching, maybe they would be in a position where spending (assets) for a rental would have made more sense.  At this point, I think it is unlikely they get a wild card, much less into an actual playoff series, but it is still possible.  I am not expecting much from Story and Sale but hard to know.  Can Sale be Chris Sale for 3 months?  Will Story give us another middle of the line up bat and the defense that we need?

The problem is that Chris Sale HAS been Chris Sale.  Dude is a broken-down stiff at this point. I doubt he is a factor again in this sport. Just a disastrous contract.

And should he even be taking playing time away from our other guys? He's just going to get hurt again. If not on the field it will be from "unloading his truck," or "riding his bicycle," or whatever other lie he wants to feed us to cover for what the real reason is. Why disrupt the locker room in a pointless attempt to rehabilitate him? He's sunk money.

« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2023, 09:53:24 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

The problem is that Chris Sale HAS been Chris Sale.  Dude is a broken-down stiff at this point. I doubt he is a factor again in this sport. Just a disastrous contract.

And should he even be taking playing time away from our other guys? He's just going to get hurt again. If not on the field it will be from "unloading his truck," or "riding his bicycle," or whatever other lie he wants to feed us to cover for what the real reason is. Why disrupt the locker room in a pointless attempt to rehabilitate him? He's sunk money.

OK, I guess I could have said can Chris Sale be the old Chris Sale for 3 months, but I think you knew what I meant.  I disagree though in that I think it is totally worth the risk, I want to see him out there.  What other guys is he taking playing time away from?  We are still very much in this at this point.  In addition to Sale, we are getting Houck, Whitlock, and maybe Kluber back.  They can't not make a run at this.  As I said, I think the chances are slim but that doesn't mean you don't go all in with what you have.  If Sale's arm falls off, it falls off, so what?  But if he can stitch together say 6 or 8 good starts, that makes a huge difference.

« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2023, 10:06:51 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322
I agree with VG. If you're paying the man all that money, we can expect to see him play (and play well). I think Bello, Whitlock, and Houck are the only young pitchers that will be on this squad when they're good. I'd let them get their reps, then try to get Chris Sale to contribute.

« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2023, 12:21:59 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Hoping Noah Song clears waivers so Red Sox can pick him back up for $50k. Will know by Friday.

« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2023, 07:49:37 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff

Worse move made by Dave D, resigning Sale to that BS contract, 5yr/145M with $50M deferred at $10M per year from 2035-2039!  OMG Dave, WTH were you thinking?  This was the Xander money for sure!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2023, 07:53:15 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322

Worse move made by Dave D, resigning Sale to that BS contract, 5yr/145M with $50M deferred at $10M per year from 2035-2039!  OMG Dave, WTH were you thinking?  This was the Xander money for sure!

DD didn't/doesn't care. He's a mercenary GM. Say what you will about Brian Cashman- he's been there to deal with the consequences of his decisions. I think it would be a mistake for the Red Sox to change course now. They should be at least 1/2 way through a rebuild. Finish the rebuild, then we should judge Bloom.

« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2023, 09:19:55 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
https://www.thecoldwire.com/former-mlb-gm-criticizes-red-sox-ownership-for-recent-failures/

Just what many are saying about Henry and his ownership group, and a lot of us here say the same thing about Wyc!

« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2023, 09:27:12 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
https://www.thecoldwire.com/former-mlb-gm-criticizes-red-sox-ownership-for-recent-failures/

Just what many are saying about Henry and his ownership group, and a lot of us here say the same thing about Wyc!

I think that's right.  The Red Sox are being run like a business, with a goal at this point of maximizing profits.

I'm surprised the Sox cut payroll as much as they did.  I guess when you win four championships after 85 years of futility, you're allowed to go into cruise control for a few years?  I will say, though, interest in the Red Sox last year and this year seems to be the lowest its been in years. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2023, 09:59:55 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I think that's right.  The Red Sox are being run like a business, with a goal at this point of maximizing profits.

I'm surprised the Sox cut payroll as much as they did.  I guess when you win four championships after 85 years of futility, you're allowed to go into cruise control for a few years?  I will say, though, interest in the Red Sox last year and this year seems to be the lowest its been in years.

It is hard to say, and Jim Duquette isn't really and all-knowing authority on this.  The Padres went "all in" and they are no better for it.  The Mets too.  Even the Yankees.  Every season, there are multiple big spenders that crash and burn.  A sports franchise is a business, a very unique business, but a business nonetheless.  You could say that the Sox went all in when they signed Sale.  How did that go?

I believe that they are trying to build the team the right way.  Chasing top FAs every off season is not necessarily the way to build a contending team.  I think it is about finding the sweet spot between reckless spending and bottom up roster building through the farm system.  I will concede, that for the last couple of seasons, the Sox have leaned a little too much towards the latter in my opinion.  Bogaerts signed a crazy contract.  That may end up being worse than the Sale contract, who knows.  But there have been other opportunities along the way that they passed on.

I do not feel though that ownership is taking this path because they are greedy (not the Celtics either).  I think they are trying to be smart about their business.  This doesn't mean I agree with every decision and the Sox are a lot less fun to watch when they don't even have a starting pitcher starting the game.  I think they are going to be big spenders again, and fairly soon.  They are trying to build up more young, under control players as a base first.