Author Topic: 2017 Red Sox Thread  (Read 51677 times)

Re: 2017 Red Sox Reg. Season Thread
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2017, 04:12:05 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I HATE these start times for the games (seriously.. 2 PM today? While I have a class that runs until 3:15 smh)  >:(

Currently at a Starbucks with a nice salted caramel mocha drink and guess what, I CAN'T enjoy it b/c we're about to fall behind 2-0 in the ALDS (looks a lot like last year... getting swept out of playoffs again...)  :(
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2017, 04:15:26 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is pretty deflating.   I thought the Sox chances against HOU weren't ideal but I expected more than this.   Maybe they can chip away but not confident about it.

Thank god I can fall back on the Cubs (for now).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2017, 04:19:48 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
This team has a lot of issues, but perhaps the most discouraging/annoying for me is that there are players popping up all around MLB who are faring much better than expected—Bellinger, Sanchez, Judge, Gennett to name a few—while all of the young Sox who've been touted for years are okay to solid yet (for the most part) unspectacular. It's been The Year of the Home Run in MLB, and the Sox forgot to buy their ticket.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2017, 04:29:53 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
It's been The Year of the Home Run in MLB, and the Sox forgot to buy their ticket.

The Red Sox may be behind the league in advances in "nutrition".
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2017, 05:02:08 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
This team has a lot of issues, but perhaps the most discouraging/annoying for me is that there are players popping up all around MLB who are faring much better than expected—Bellinger, Sanchez, Judge, Gennett to name a few—while all of the young Sox who've been touted for years are okay to solid yet (for the most part) unspectacular. It's been The Year of the Home Run in MLB, and the Sox forgot to buy their ticket.

Mookie Betts almost wins MVP last year and is in contention this year -> "Solid yet unspectacular"

???

(Of course, it's also possible that you mean all our highly touted prospects except Mookie are unspectacular, but it's basically the same case with those other guys, too)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2017, 05:26:45 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Mookie Betts almost wins MVP last year and is in contention this year -> "Solid yet unspectacular"

???

(Of course, it's also possible that you mean all our highly touted prospects except Mookie are unspectacular, but it's basically the same case with those other guys, too)

Losing Ortiz's protection certainly hurt Betts, but I still don't consider him an MVP contender this year. I did say "(for the most part) unspectacular," and Betts was the one I was thinking of who's been pretty good most of the year. Benny turned it on later in the season and ended up with some pretty good numbers, but still, none of these guys is blowing people away with their bat.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2017, 05:37:09 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

???

Mookie hit .264 and under 30 hrs. What MVP award do you think he qualifies for? Baseball?

« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2017, 05:41:10 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

???

Mookie hit .264 and under 30 hrs. What MVP award do you think he qualifies for? Baseball?

"Last year" generally does not refer to this year.  In this case, it refers to the 2016 season where he finished with a .318 average, 214 hits, 113 RBIs and in 2nd place for MVP voting
I'm bitter.

« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2017, 05:44:15 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

???

"Last year" generally does not refer to this year.  In this case, it refers to the 2016 season where he finished with a .318 average, 214 hits, 113 RBIs and in 2nd place for MVP voting

Mookie was awesome last year, and pretty unspectacular this year. I was referencing this year. He is not in contention for the MVP. I'm pretty sure only Altuve and Judge are.

« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2017, 05:44:17 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

???

Losing Ortiz's protection certainly hurt Betts, but I still don't consider him an MVP contender this year. I did say "(for the most part) unspectacular," and Betts was the one I was thinking of who's been pretty good most of the year. Benny turned it on later in the season and ended up with some pretty good numbers, but still, none of these guys is blowing people away with their bat.

Betts has certainly fallen off since last year, but he's still a great young player.  It's very possible that Judge or others have similar regression/sophomore slumps next year, and that Betts has another MVP worthy season.  He may not have had a spectacular season, but Betts is still a spectacular player.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2017, 05:47:05 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

???

Betts has certainly fallen off since last year, but he's still a great young player.  It's very possible that Judge or others have similar regression/sophomore slumps next year, and that Betts has another MVP worthy season.  He may not have had a spectacular season, but Betts is still a spectacular player.

Agree. He's probably their best player, after Chris Sale.

The Red Sox have a bright future, and this year's playoffs (as well as last year) show that they are going through growing pains. They've won 3 rings in 13 years, so they're doing well in the grand scheme.

I'm still optimistic about this team, regardless of how bad they can look at times.

« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2017, 05:58:39 PM »

• Satch Sanders

???

The Red Sox have a bright future, and this year's playoffs (as well as last year) show that they are going through growing pains. They've won 3 rings in 13 years, so they're doing well in the grand scheme.

I'm still optimistic about this team, regardless of how bad they can look at times.

Other than Pedroia, this team hasn't won any rings. The current front office certainly hasn't. They've made huge investments in Price, Sale, Hanley, and Pablo, and those haven't really paid off (not in terms of World Series appearances, at any rate), and all of their young guys have had some good moments, even good stretches, but nothing that makes opposing pitchers nervous.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2017, 06:35:01 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

???

Other than Pedroia, this team hasn't won any rings. The current front office certainly hasn't. They've made huge investments in Price, Sale, Hanley, and Pablo, and those haven't really paid off (not in terms of World Series appearances, at any rate), and all of their young guys have had some good moments, even good stretches, but nothing that makes opposing pitchers nervous.

My point is that the Red Sox are doing well, in the grand scheme. Do you disagree?

I think it's hard to find many teams that have been more successful since '04. Only SF has matched the ring total. Besides rings, what else is relevant for comparing team success?

« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2017, 06:47:13 PM »

• Satch Sanders

???

My point is that the Red Sox are doing well, in the grand scheme. Do you disagree?

I think it's hard to find many teams that have been more successful since '04. Only SF has matched the ring total. Besides rings, what else is relevant for comparing team success?

In the grand scheme? Maybe. They've been much better in the last two regular seasons than in the two prior to those, but they've completely hit a wall in two straight postseasons.

Then again, all of their key position players who returned from last season regressed this year, and Sale and Pom have joined the David Price Postseason Fail Club. For all the good things about this team, they still need some fortunate developments to become legit contenders—a couple of the young guys have to become more consistent (and deadly) offensive threats, the team needs a couple of legit HR hitters, and the rotation needs to avoid regular-season overuse and postseason letdowns.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2017, 08:20:50 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Regardless, this team NEEDS to find a power bat this offseason, PERIOD.

Whether it's JD Martinez in FA (Probably Plan A) or trading for Stanton (Plan B or C).

Then hope Thornburg comes back healthy and Carson Smith gets healthier for bullpen.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller