Author Topic: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread  (Read 64751 times)

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread
« Reply #450 on: April 11, 2019, 04:14:57 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
The Grizzlies dismissed coach J.B. Bickerstaff and reassigned GM Chris Wallace to a scouting capacity in the front office, league sources tell ESPN. VP John Hollinger will also move into a senior advisory role.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1116429931225976833

^Bad news if the pick doesn't convey this year.  :P

« Reply #451 on: April 11, 2019, 05:16:13 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
The Grizzlies dismissed coach J.B. Bickerstaff and reassigned GM Chris Wallace to a scouting capacity in the front office, league sources tell ESPN. VP John Hollinger will also move into a senior advisory role.

Wht? I think it's good news. Coaching turnover especially seems to make it more likely they will take a step back next year. Broader organizational turnover seems to signal they might be ready to move on from Conley as well.

« Reply #452 on: April 11, 2019, 05:20:27 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker

Wht? I think it's good news. Coaching turnover especially seems to make it more likely they will take a step back next year. Broader organizational turnover seems to signal they might be ready to move on from Conley as well.

Chris Wallace’s demotion is a huge victory for MEM fans imo

« Reply #453 on: April 12, 2019, 01:45:46 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

I don't know enough about the guy to say one way or another. But the coach getting fired is probably a good thing, even if he's not very good the next guy coming in usually needs at least a year to instill his system which only increases their odds of being awful next year and giving us an unprotected pick in 21'. Assuming they keep it this year.

« Reply #454 on: April 12, 2019, 01:56:26 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
Man people really think Valanciunas is better than or close to Gasol? Must be huffing some of the wage of wins metrics.

I don't look at the talent on that roster and think its likely that they have more wins next year. Just looking at the west every team but the Pelicans/Suns would be ahead of them in my predictions. And that's without trading Conley! I just don't see a playoff team in Memphis for a few years.

The expected value of the pick if it rolls over is clearly higher. Now maybe you don't want to take that risk, but given that we have 3 other picks this upcoming draft (including one in the same ballpark) I'm more than happy to take that risk.
First, they are tied for the 2nd worst record in the west this year, and still might end up as only the 9th worst team.  Second, it is way too early to know what teams will look like next year.  I mean I could easily envision a scenario where the Clippers are a terrible team.  I don't know that Dallas is going to be all that good either.  Minnesota and Sacramento could easily take steps back.  Memphis might find some real good value in a Conley trade and might hit the lottery and end up with a pretty decent squad. 

Lots of things can happen that make Memphis transfer a pick that is not a top ten pick next year.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2830818-mike-conley-says-hes-not-interested-in-grizzlies-rebuild-amid-trade-rumors

I would be absolutely shocked if they aren't garbage next year. In summary the Grizzlies want to convey this pick because they know they will be garbage. The Celtics dont want the pick because they know the Grizzlies will be garbage. Mike Conley basically said "I'm out" because he knows the Grizzlies will be garbage. The Grizzles just fired their Coach and GM  because they were and will continue to be garbage. This is the beginning of a rebuild. Whats the worst case scenario? they get to like 12th or 13th next year and we get a pick 3 or 4 slots later while avoiding  having to fit 4 rookies onto the team next year? And given the way things appear to be heading I'd say thats the less likely outcome than an unprotected pick in 21.

« Reply #455 on: April 12, 2019, 02:02:56 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker

I don't know enough about the guy to say one way or another. But the coach getting fired is probably a good thing, even if he's not very good the next guy coming in usually needs at least a year to instill his system which only increases their odds of being awful next year and giving us an unprotected pick in 21'. Assuming they keep it this year.

He’s a former Celtics GM

https://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/chris-wallace-named-general-manager-140729

Prior to joining the Grizzlies, Wallace spent 10 seasons as general manager of the Boston Celtics (1997-2007) and four seasons as a scout with the Miami Heat (1993-97), where he was promoted to director of player personnel in his final season.

« Reply #456 on: April 12, 2019, 02:04:47 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Man people really think Valanciunas is better than or close to Gasol? Must be huffing some of the wage of wins metrics.

I don't look at the talent on that roster and think its likely that they have more wins next year. Just looking at the west every team but the Pelicans/Suns would be ahead of them in my predictions. And that's without trading Conley! I just don't see a playoff team in Memphis for a few years.

The expected value of the pick if it rolls over is clearly higher. Now maybe you don't want to take that risk, but given that we have 3 other picks this upcoming draft (including one in the same ballpark) I'm more than happy to take that risk.
First, they are tied for the 2nd worst record in the west this year, and still might end up as only the 9th worst team.  Second, it is way too early to know what teams will look like next year.  I mean I could easily envision a scenario where the Clippers are a terrible team.  I don't know that Dallas is going to be all that good either.  Minnesota and Sacramento could easily take steps back.  Memphis might find some real good value in a Conley trade and might hit the lottery and end up with a pretty decent squad. 

Lots of things can happen that make Memphis transfer a pick that is not a top ten pick next year.
It feels like, intentionally or otherwise, you're only looking at one side of the coin.

The Clippers could definitely get worse. They are also one of the frontrunners to get Kawhi Leonard.
Dallas are bringing back Kristaps, and will see continued development of their young guys. They're also always trying to add big name free agents.
I have a hard time imagining Sacramento getting worse, but Minnesota definitely could.

Then you have all the other teams which are looking to / will be likely to improve:
New York is obviously trying to improve through free agency and perhaps trading for Davis.
Atlanta is adding a top 5 pick and another top 10 pick to Trae Young, Collins, Huerter and Prince. Good young roster.
Phoenix should be better.
New Orleans could be better depending on the package they get.
The Lakers should sadly be better.

Miami and Charlotte are the only two teams I think will take significant steps backwards, but even then Miami still have Riley and Coach Spo.

All these teams are actively trying to improve and get better, whereas Memphis is trying to get worse.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #457 on: April 12, 2019, 03:58:46 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

I can appreciate and genuinely agree with your sentiment uncertainty, but these examples seem pretty strange. Dallas hasn’t a ton of cap space and are adding porzingas. Doncic should also be a little better. That’s a heck of a lot more upside than Memphis has with just Jackson. I’m also perplexed why you would think Sacramento would take a step back with hield, Fox, bagley and a full year of Barnes. Again I don’t disagree with your idea on uncertainty but I feel like you chose the worst possible examples to make your point. Was this half joke or something?

« Reply #458 on: April 12, 2019, 06:30:11 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

I can appreciate and genuinely agree with your sentiment uncertainty, but these examples seem pretty strange. Dallas hasn’t a ton of cap space and are adding porzingas. Doncic should also be a little better. That’s a heck of a lot more upside than Memphis has with just Jackson. I’m also perplexed why you would think Sacramento would take a step back with hield, Fox, bagley and a full year of Barnes. Again I don’t disagree with your idea on uncertainty but I feel like you chose the worst possible examples to make your point. Was this half joke or something?
Doncic was worse as the season wore on.  Maybe it was just fatigue, maybe the league started to figure him out, or maybe he couldn't handle all the spotlight after all the trades.  Either way given his huge pro background, I don't expect him to take a normal 2nd year jump.  The Zinger is always hurt and even when he plays I don't know that he effects winning all that much.  I mean the Knicks have been terrible pretty much his whole time there.  And Dallas was downright terrible after they traded away Barnes, Jordan, and Matthews (they were 26-29 at one point this season and finished 7-20).  If they don't add a free agent, I don't think they will be very good at all, and Dallas hasn't exactly been beaming with success on the free agent market. 

Look I was as high on Sacramento as pretty much anyone last summer.  I was ridiculed heavily for saying they would win 30 games and wouldn't be a bottom five team, but I think they clearly over performed this year.  They finished 9-17 (they were 30-26 and in playoff position at the time) and flamed away and fired their coach.  They obviously don't have their 1st round pick and I can't see any free agents going there.  Barring something strange happening, they are who they are going to be next year, and I just don't see them sniffing 39 wins again.  I don't know that they drop down to terrible, but I absolutely expect them to be a worse team (at least record wise) next year.

I have no idea what Memphis is actually going to look like, but there are plenty of scenarios where they are a 30+ win team next year and if they do that, they could easily finish ahead of both Dallas and Sacto, along with the Suns, Pelicans, Wolves, and a handful of eastern conference teams. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #459 on: April 12, 2019, 06:41:54 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

I think a a 26 year old Jonas, while not as good a defender and not as good of a passer, is going to give you as much on that team as 34 year old marc gasol will give that team.
Enes Kanter is 26 too, Monroe is only 28. Jonas is another of that type of player, a plodding C who doesn't shoot.

Slow footed centers who can't defend need to be really great at everything else to be much of a positive player. Jonas is a nice rebounder but he doesn't do enough anywhere else.

They dont need it.

They need a rebounder, highly efficient player who zets great screens.

Look how much better we are with Baynes on the court.

« Reply #460 on: April 12, 2019, 06:43:51 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Yeah the coaching change really crushed the bucks, raptors and detroit this past season.

And front office changes crippled the clippers moving forward

« Reply #461 on: April 12, 2019, 06:45:40 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2830818-mike-conley-says-hes-not-interested-in-grizzlies-rebuild-amid-trade-rumors

I would be absolutely shocked if they aren't garbage next year. In summary the Grizzlies want to convey this pick because they know they will be garbage. The Celtics dont want the pick because they know the Grizzlies will be garbage. Mike Conley basically said "I'm out" because he knows the Grizzlies will be garbage. The Grizzles just fired their Coach and GM  because they were and will continue to be garbage. This is the beginning of a rebuild. Whats the worst case scenario? they get to like 12th or 13th next year and we get a pick 3 or 4 slots later while avoiding  having to fit 4 rookies onto the team next year? And given the way things appear to be heading I'd say thats the less likely outcome than an unprotected pick in 21.

Delon wright has played great for them.

Freeing up capspace amd adding more parts for the price of conley will help the team.

« Reply #462 on: April 12, 2019, 08:25:11 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I've heard this a lot, and maybe it's true, but there's at least one question mark. If they wanted the pick to convey this year, they should have been trying to win their last six games - especially the games against Dallas, which were very winnable and would count twice by pushing Dallas down further. Memphis' injury list for those games was long, and included their best players. Some of the listings I assume were legit, but probably their very best player, Conley, was listed as day-to-day for each of the last six games and CBS reported he could have played. Always very hard to know why teams list players the way they do, but man that's suspicious. They lost a very winnable, key, game against Dallas (in overtime) and then dropped a huge lead against Detroit. Win either of those games and they would be sitting in the ninth spot, in great position for the pick to convey.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:30:20 AM by Sophomore »

« Reply #463 on: April 12, 2019, 08:32:24 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

I've heard this a lot, and maybe it's true, but there's at least one question mark. If they wanted the pick to convey this year, they should have been trying to win their last six games - especially the games against Dallas, which were very winnable and would count twice by pushing Dallas down further. Memphis' injury list for those games was long, and included their best players. Some of the listings I assume were legit, but probably their very best player, Conley, was listed as day-to-day for each of the last six games and CBS reported he could have played. Always very hard to know why teams list players the way they do, but man that's suspicious. They lost a very winnable, key, game against Dallas (in overtime) and then dropped a huge lead against Detroit. Win either of those games and they would be sitting in the ninth spot, in great position for the pick to convey.

Your entire point does not fit the narrative though.

so TP-

« Reply #464 on: April 12, 2019, 09:03:22 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Wonder if Grizz would trade the pick (if 7 or 8) to C's to avoid having to give up the future pick promised?

In terms of the tank and rebuild and the weak draft it may make sense. C's may prefer the high first now for trade ammo.