Author Topic: Would you rather have 2 years of Kyrie or Collin Sexton  (Read 12166 times)

Re: Would you rather have 2 years of Kyrie or Collin Sexton
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2019, 08:51:34 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Sexton because there wouldn't have been regression on this team or a need to keep guys like Rozier and Morris. Irving set the team back.
But Sexton is a very average player

Yes he is and we just gave a player who is marginally better a 4 year max contract.
Rofl. Completely off talent assessment. Please tell me what exactly is marginal about the difference between a 3x All-Star & All-NBA point guard vs a guy who put up a very inefficient 17PPG on one of the worst teams in the league, who also can't pass?

This is one of the most laughably wrong comparisons I've seen here in a while. Not quite Tacko = Wilt, but it's bad.
Take a look at the numbers not the awards. They are clearly closer than you think.
Ah yes, I forgot basketball is in fact all about stats! Silly me. Even if you were right and the stats were close (which they aren't) it wouldn't tell the story. Kemba nearly willed what is frankly a garbage roster to the playoffs.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=kemba+Walker&player_id1_select=Kemba+Walker&y1=2019&player_id1=walkeke02&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Collin+Sexton&player_id2_select=Collin+Sexton&y2=2019&player_id2=sextoco01&idx=players
Like the Cavs aren't a bad team.

Look at that usage rate and fg%. Sexton would score just as much and nearly as many ast with that usage.

Sorry man, I am with Gouki, this is a really really bad take. It is not even in the ballpark of reasonable. Probably best to just let it go. No offense.
You let it go. It's my view and I gave my reasons.

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2019, 09:12:22 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Sexton because there wouldn't have been regression on this team or a need to keep guys like Rozier and Morris. Irving set the team back.

Yes he is and we just gave a player who is marginally better a 4 year max contract.
Rofl. Completely off talent assessment. Please tell me what exactly is marginal about the difference between a 3x All-Star & All-NBA point guard vs a guy who put up a very inefficient 17PPG on one of the worst teams in the league, who also can't pass?

This is one of the most laughably wrong comparisons I've seen here in a while. Not quite Tacko = Wilt, but it's bad.
Take a look at the numbers not the awards. They are clearly closer than you think.
Ah yes, I forgot basketball is in fact all about stats! Silly me. Even if you were right and the stats were close (which they aren't) it wouldn't tell the story. Kemba nearly willed what is frankly a garbage roster to the playoffs.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=kemba+Walker&player_id1_select=Kemba+Walker&y1=2019&player_id1=walkeke02&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Collin+Sexton&player_id2_select=Collin+Sexton&y2=2019&player_id2=sextoco01&idx=players

Look at that usage rate and fg%. Sexton would score just as much and nearly as many ast with that usage.

Sorry man, I am with Gouki, this is a really really bad take. It is not even in the ballpark of reasonable. Probably best to just let it go. No offense.
Gotta agree.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Kemba+Walker&player_id1_select=Kemba+Walker&y1=2019&player_id1=walkeke02&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Collin+Sexton&player_id2_select=Collin+Sexton&y2=2019&player_id2=sextoco01&idx=players

Here is the stat comparison. It's not even close. Evening things out with per36 numbers and Kemba is scoring over 7 PPG more and had double the amount of assists and steals and 4 times more blocks while shooting much better overall with TS% of 4 percentage points higher.

Then you add in the intangibles like proven experience, playoff experience, clutchness, leadership, accolades, and overall talent and you can easily see Sexton isn't anywhere close to being on Kemba's level.
Sorry but accolades? Guy hasn't won anything since college. Playoff experience.. how many playoffs has he won or made in his illustrious career? Leadership... wasnt Batum the guy in the past that many said was carrying the team before his injuries.

Where is the talk about usage rate, defense, or Walker's actual shooting? Let's not gloss over Walker's flaws since he is the Celtic. Let's look at the negatives. When another poster wrote on here some suggested Walker for Irving as his argument people liked Walker, I chuckled because there was a lot of negatives by the forum for Walker then. Now he is a Celtic and it's no more critiques.

« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2019, 09:36:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Gotta agree.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Kemba+Walker&player_id1_select=Kemba+Walker&y1=2019&player_id1=walkeke02&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Collin+Sexton&player_id2_select=Collin+Sexton&y2=2019&player_id2=sextoco01&idx=players

Here is the stat comparison. It's not even close. Evening things out with per36 numbers and Kemba is scoring over 7 PPG more and had double the amount of assists and steals and 4 times more blocks while shooting much better overall with TS% of 4 percentage points higher.

Then you add in the intangibles like proven experience, playoff experience, clutchness, leadership, accolades, and overall talent and you can easily see Sexton isn't anywhere close to being on Kemba's level.
Sorry but accolades? Guy hasn't won anything since college. Playoff experience.. how many playoffs has he won or made in his illustrious career? Leadership... wasnt Batum the guy in the past that many said was carrying the team before his injuries.

Where is the talk about usage rate, defense, or Walker's actual shooting? Let's not gloss over Walker's flaws since he is the Celtic. Let's look at the negatives. When another poster wrote on here some suggested Walker for Irving as his argument people liked Walker, I chuckled because there was a lot of negatives by the forum for Walker then. Now he is a Celtic and it's no more critiques.
Nope, nobody with credibility said this more than once.

He has his flaws, but you're pretty blatantly ignoring the context that they come in. He's a weak defender, but he's definitely more consistent than our last 2 starting point guards. He has been inconsistent from 3, but he was literally the only respectable offensive option on his team. Surprise surprise, the defence only concerned themselves with him. Not sure how an All-NBA player having a usage % in the high-20's - low-30's is an issue.

But whatever, if you actually think Sexton and Kembla are comparable in the slightest then more power to you. I think there's nothing that hasn't actually occurred in the real world to indicate this, but that's ok.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2019, 09:37:34 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

Gotta agree.

Of course Walker has flaws, but you basically said he was Collin Sexton and that is utterly ridiculous and that is what has brought the attention to your position.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2019, 09:45:36 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Gotta agree.

Nope, nobody with credibility said this more than once.

He has his flaws, but you're pretty blatantly ignoring the context that they come in. He's a weak defender, but he's definitely more consistent than our last 2 starting point guards. He has been inconsistent from 3, but he was literally the only respectable offensive option on his team. Surprise surprise, the defence only concerned themselves with him. Not sure how an All-NBA player having a usage % in the high-20's - low-30's is an issue.

But whatever, if you actually think Sexton and Kembla are comparable in the slightest then more power to you. I think there's nothing that hasn't actually occurred in the real world to indicate this, but that's ok.

Dude they said it their whole first playoff run. How do you think Batum got his big contract?

All NBA player high usage is an issue when you consider his usage rate was higher than Irvings and his numbers were worst almost across the whole board. Sexton is inefficient but Walker is shooting even worst. If you thought the ball stuck before and the team struggled scoring at times we may be in trouble. That's a concern.

« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2019, 09:48:06 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Gotta agree.

Of course Walker has flaws, but you basically said he was Collin Sexton and that is utterly ridiculous and that is what has brought the attention to your position.
And I never said he was Sexton.

« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2019, 09:50:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Gotta agree.

Accolades matter because they show you performed on the court at an elite level. If you are constantly on All-Star teams it's because you are a top 25 or so player in the league. Getting there multiple times shows your performance wasn't some one and done type thing. Winning All-NBA awards shows you were a top 5, 10 or 15 player in the league for that year. Kemba with three straight All-Star appearances and a 3rd Team All-NBA pretty much cements him as a top 20-25 player in the league.

The difference between a top 25 player in the league and Sexton, an inefficient shoot first PG that sucks at virtually everything else he does is gigantic. It's not even close.

As for playoff experience, he has played in the playoffs. He has averaged 21.5/4.7/3.3 in the playoffs while being the scoring option the other teams needed to shut down because everyone else basically sucked.

And being surrounded by terrible talent has been a problem for Kemba since he entered the league. It's why his usage rate is so high. Most years, Kemba was the only real scoring option on his team. He needed to overcome that and the last three years he has.

His last three years, he has played 241 out if 246 regular season games, been an All-Star each year averaging 23.7/5.7/3.8 while shooting slightly above average at 43.6/37.8/85.2 for a TS% just under 57%.

Kemba came into his prime 3 years ago and has been stellar, overall. If you want to believe that Sexton will eventually be better than the player that Kemba is now, fine. But to try to push the idea that currently Sexton isn't that much less of a player than Kemba, frankly just doesn't have much credence to it, IMHO.

And, I would say the same thing about Kyrie, Lillard, Westbrook, Lowry, Steph, Harden, CP3, Ben Simmons, Bledsoe, or Conley. All of those PGs are world's better than Sexton.

« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2019, 11:13:29 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Gotta agree.

Accolades matter because they show you performed on the court at an elite level. If you are constantly on All-Star teams it's because you are a top 25 or so player in the league. Getting there multiple times shows your performance wasn't some one and done type thing. Winning All-NBA awards shows you were a top 5, 10 or 15 player in the league for that year. Kemba with three straight All-Star appearances and a 3rd Team All-NBA pretty much cements him as a top 20-25 player in the league.

The difference between a top 25 player in the league and Sexton, an inefficient shoot first PG that sucks at virtually everything else he does is gigantic. It's not even close.

As for playoff experience, he has played in the playoffs. He has averaged 21.5/4.7/3.3 in the playoffs while being the scoring option the other teams needed to shut down because everyone else basically sucked.

And being surrounded by terrible talent has been a problem for Kemba since he entered the league. It's why his usage rate is so high. Most years, Kemba was the only real scoring option on his team. He needed to overcome that and the last three years he has.

His last three years, he has played 241 out if 246 regular season games, been an All-Star each year averaging 23.7/5.7/3.8 while shooting slightly above average at 43.6/37.8/85.2 for a TS% just under 57%.

Kemba came into his prime 3 years ago and has been stellar, overall. If you want to believe that Sexton will eventually be better than the player that Kemba is now, fine. But to try to push the idea that currently Sexton isn't that much less of a player than Kemba, frankly just doesn't have much credence to it, IMHO.

And, I would say the same thing about Kyrie, Lillard, Westbrook, Lowry, Steph, Harden, CP3, Ben Simmons, Bledsoe, or Conley. All of those PGs are world's better than Sexton.
Credence? After all that spin.

Some accolades matter but three all stars one from injury alt. is special? Let's not also forget he was going to this year's no matter what.

His playoff career is a joke. You can't salvage that. Tatum and Brown did more and have more experience than him as two and three year pros. And it's not hard to make it in the East so Walker doesn't have a lot of excuses.

Kemba's career numbers show what he is. I am not going off this last year alone or last three years. I'm going by the player career wise because you do have to project when a guy ask would you rather have player X or two years of player Y. That was the question. Sexton is slightly ahead of where Walker was. Both similar size, speed and even shooting numbers from the go. TS would increase easily with more experience with working the calls, you aren't getting many as a rook.

There are multiple breakdowns on Sexton and Kemba's year this year on youtube you can review them. Sexton made a lot of rookie mistakes often but he has a lot of skill and should improve on decision making. Kemba's all NBA season they compare to a poor man's Irving, (guess that is why Irving made 1st team).

Kemba as you said hit his prime a couple years ago currently he is career wise 19pts/4reb/6ast per, shooting 41%/35%/84% usage of 27 that's giving him three peak years of his career.
Sexton at 20 years old had 17/3/3 shooting 43%/40%/84% usage 25. Now
this past year Kemba at 28 had 26/4/6 but was nearly on par with his shooting career wise with 43/36/84. It was usage that was the main factor in pts at 31.

We can all agree Cavs as a team, if you can call them that were a lot worse than Hornets so that accounts for missed ast.

So as I said take the team and usage into account it makes Kemba marginally better than Sexton. Two years of Irving or a marginally worse Kemba on a rookie deal? Give me Sexton

« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2019, 11:34:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Gotta agree.

Some accolades matter but three all stars one from injury alt. is special? Let's not also forget he was going to this year's no matter what.

His playoff career is a joke. You can't salvage that. Tatum and Brown did more and have more experience than him as two and three year pros. And it's not hard to make it in the East so Walker doesn't have a lot of excuses.

Kemba's career numbers show what he is. I am not going off this last year alone or last three years. I'm going by the player career wise because you do have to project when a guy ask would you rather have player X or two years of player Y. That was the question. Sexton is slightly ahead of where Walker was. Both similar size, speed and even shooting numbers from the go. TS would increase easily with more experience with working the calls, you aren't getting many as a rook.

There are multiple breakdowns on Sexton and Kemba's year this year on youtube you can review them. Sexton made a lot of rookie mistakes often but he has a lot of skill and should improve on decision making. Kemba's all NBA season they compare to a poor man's Irving, (guess that is why Irving made 1st team).

Kemba as you said hit his prime a couple years ago currently he is career wise 19pts/4reb/6ast per, shooting 41%/35%/84% usage of 27 that's giving him three peak years of his career.
this past year Kemba at 28 had 26/4/6 but was nearly on par with his shooting career wise with 43/36/84. It was usage that was the main factor in pts at 31.

We can all agree Cavs as a team, if you can call them that were a lot worse than Hornets so that accounts for missed ast.

So as I said take the team and usage into account it makes Kemba marginally better than Sexton. Two years of Irving or a marginally worse Kemba on a rookie deal? Give me Sexton
And boom. Goodbye to people taking your posts seriously on this matter. You're ignoring the years where he's begun to enter his prime while maintaining good health because it doesn't serve your argument, and you're blaming one player for not dragging the worst organisation in the NBA to playoffs. Hilarious.

« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2019, 11:52:13 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Gotta agree.

And boom. Goodbye to people taking your posts seriously on this matter. You're ignoring the years where he's begun to enter his prime while maintaining good health because it doesn't serve your argument, and you're blaming one player for not dragging the worst organisation in the NBA to playoffs. Hilarious.
He ignored years. I didn't ignore any.

Ps should I add a "boom" and tell you that your post should now not be taken seriously?

« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2019, 11:53:52 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
Sexton played pretty well for his first year in the NBA's Western conference idk... some hate going around right now but I think obviously given how many games Irving actually played Sexton is the way better option.

« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2019, 11:56:46 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Sexton played pretty well for his first year in the NBA's Western conference idk... some hate going around right now but I think obviously given how many games Irving actually played Sexton is the way better option.
no he didn't

Not many wins either

« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2019, 12:01:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Gotta agree.

Ps should I add a "boom" and tell you that your post should now not be taken seriously?
Ignoring years is completely reasonable. How many people talk about Rondo's first 3 years when discussing how good he was? Or people with Kobe and his first 4 years? It's a ridiculous angle to take.

You're intentionally ignoring context in some desperate attempt to be correct because your take is way off.

« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2019, 12:06:23 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Gotta agree.

Ignoring years is completely reasonable. How many people talk about Rondo's first 3 years when discussing how good he was? Or people with Kobe and his first 4 years? It's a ridiculous angle to take.

You're intentionally ignoring context in some desperate attempt to be correct because your take is way off.
Lol trying to switch and save face. You're a move the goal post kind of guy I see. Just say oops and move along. Your post are no longer taken seriously especially after this flip flop.

« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2019, 12:14:46 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Gotta agree.

Lol trying to switch and save face. You're a move the goal post kind of guy I see. Just say oops and move along. Your post are no longer taken seriously especially after this flip flop.
If you can't understand the difference between ignoring someone's prime that they are still in and ignoring someone's early years that have literally no impact on how they're playing now that's not my fault. I can't control your comprehension, or lack thereof.