Author Topic: 2018 World Cup  (Read 67019 times)

2018 World Cup
« on: December 01, 2017, 11:35:32 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The field has been set.

Some favorable groups, some really tough. Who's your early favorite? Who do you think got screwed in their draws.

Only a few more months away.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 11:45:32 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Re: 2018 World Cup
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 11:41:05 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Can't wait to see the U.S play!  :laugh:

Anyways, Group F looks like it will be real fun, but honestly ALL the groups look interesting. Nice to see a variety of teams this time around and unexpected ones who could make a name for themselves here (ex. Tunisia, Senegal, Iceland, Costa Rica, Panama, etc.)

Still a shame the U.S couldn't make it and lost to Trinidad in a must win game...  ??? (No disrespect to Panama and Costa Rica, who both deserved spots)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 11:51:34 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Group D to me is the most fascinating.

Argentina will still have the best player (arguably) in the world, but has struggled to qualify. That midfield is still a big question mark.

And then you got Iceland, who was a massive surprise in the Euros. Can they replicate it?

Nigeria is one of the top, if not the best team in Africa (let's go Alex Iwobi!). They will be a tough out.

And then Croatia is full of star power, especially on that midfield with Luka Modric, Ivan Rakitic, Ivan Perisic and Marcelo Brozovic (although they have Dejan Lovern on defence, that already makes it's very suspicious).

It will be interesting, this group. I don't think there's a clear favorite here, and every nation in this Group could win it.

Group F seems to be a tough group as well. I think we can expect Germany to be Germany, but the battle for the second placer spot could be really tough.

France has an easy group. Way too easy.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 02:47:08 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
No real group of death. Some good groups (F, D, E) but no group with more than 2 teams with major potential to go far.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 02:53:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Early picks for the group stages

A: Uruguay & Egypt
B: Spain & Portugal
C: France & Denmark
D: Iceland, Croatia
E: Brazil, Serbia
F: Germany, Mexico
G: Belgium, England
H: Colombia, Japan

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 03:06:19 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Early favourites to win the World Cup are:

Not convinced by

(1) Germany = star studded side with lots of depth but lack some balance within team. Klose, Lahm and Schweinsteiger were big losses for them. I think they are still figuring out Werner and some of their other young attackers. Muller isn't as comfortable without Lahm. Not sure they know who their best 3 are in the 4-2-3-1. Which give the side the best balance.

(2) Belgium = Roberto Martinez and his tactics. Not convinced by them. Loads of star power again but I do not like that 3-4-2-1 formation. I do not think it suits Belgium. I'd like to see with the full backs instead of those wing backs / defensive wingers. Martinez not defensive minded enough to grind out results which they could do in that formation.

(3) England = Southgate is an idiot. He does not know how to build an attacking side. He will not make the most of the talent they do have so I do not expect England to be a surprise side at the tournament.

(4) Argentina = I caught some of the games they have played since Sampaoli joined and they look a mess. Not convinced they have enough time to figure things out. I like the look of that Lo Celso guy. He looks part of the solution moving forward in that midfield.

--------------------------

So that leaves Brazil, Spain and France as my favourites.

(1) Brazil = have looked awesome with Gabriel Jesus up front. Much more teeth to that attack now. The manager Tite has done a great job building that defense and midfield. I do not think they will concede many goals. And they have serious weapons going forward.

(2) Spain = awesome team. Loads of talent in midfield. Quality defenders. Morata is establishing himself as a legit top striker and he suits their style of play unlike Diego Costa. Best keeper in the world in De Gea. Spain are legit.

(3) France = most talented team in the world. Incredible array of defensive talent, midfield talent, wide players and forwards. They can play any style and win at a high level. Only problem is does Deschamps know his best team? Will he pick the best players? Who will he pick?

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 11:50:32 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Group D to me is the most fascinating.

Argentina will still have the best player (arguably) in the world, but has struggled to qualify. That midfield is still a big question mark.

And then you got Iceland, who was a massive surprise in the Euros. Can they replicate it?

Nigeria is one of the top, if not the best team in Africa (let's go Alex Iwobi!). They will be a tough out.

And then Croatia is full of star power, especially on that midfield with Luka Modric, Ivan Rakitic, Ivan Perisic and Marcelo Brozovic (although they have Dejan Lovern on defence, that already makes it's very suspicious).

It will be interesting, this group. I don't think there's a clear favorite here, and every nation in this Group could win it.

Group F seems to be a tough group as well. I think we can expect Germany to be Germany, but the battle for the second placer spot could be really tough.

France has an easy group. Way too easy.

Argentina, Nigeria and Croatia is fascinating.  England should qualify for the knock-out stages, but finishing ahead of Belgium seems unlikely.  Very happy with the group Japan is in, as they have a real shot at advancing.  Still so annoyed that the Dutch didn't make it.  Still amazed that Italy and Chile are not present, either.

Russia got a good group, also, so no excuse for not qualifying for the Round of 16 before home crowds. 

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 01:15:47 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
No USA, no Italy...no interest.

It ain't a real World Cup without the Azzuri.

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 06:42:32 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

I guess you're a partisan, not a fan of the beautiful game? 

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 12:23:08 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

You have to blame it on them. USA needed to beat the bottom team of their federation to advance, they can't do it.

Italy had to beat Sweden, and they were heavy favorites to do so, but they failed.

They didn't deserve to get in if they can't beat those teams. 

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 01:17:36 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Sorry ... posted in wrong thread. I was looking for the EPL thread.

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 12:03:56 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Who's watching?

It seems like Saudi Arabia is just there for Group A to get some points on. It might not get exciting until tomorrow's game. Two defender missing tackles for a goal. Not good enough, especially when your next games is vs Luis Suarez and Mohamed Salah.

But hey, here we are!

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 12:22:48 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Russia is easily ahead .... S.Arabia is very weak team

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 02:15:18 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I didn't watch today's game. I figured neither of today's teams were worth watching.

Looking forward to tomorrow though. This should be a very good tournament.

I am shocked Spain fired their manager. What a train wreck right before the games kick off. I thought Spain were one of the favourites for the World Cup. They looked great in qualifiers and in friendlies. Lopetegui did great things with that team. Really added to it. He is a loss for Spain. On the bright side, at least Spain are an experienced group of players who can manage themselves a fair bit. So hopefully that will allow them to still put a strong showing on.

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 02:46:44 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Does a team other than Brazil, Germany, and Spain have a good chance at winning the whole thing?