Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 963762 times)

Re: What's the Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #3270 on: January 05, 2022, 03:25:22 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Power Of The Dog.  Beautifully shot and acted, but it moved too slow for me.  The subject matter itself didn’t bother me, but the story arc itself didn’t do it for me.

So much of a movie experience is the mood you are in when you watch it. I viewed this one morning when I had decided to relax and not do anything else. And so I completely enjoyed it, mostly because of the acting. I imagine some other time the slow pace might have ruined it for me.

Kind of like The Devil All the Time (also on Netflix) in terms of slow burn with great acting (and cast) and pays off if you don't expect too much.

« Reply #3271 on: January 05, 2022, 03:32:35 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
I watched Inheritance the other night.  Simon Pegg locked in a bunker under mysterious circumstances for 30 years.  It had a lot of potential, but fell apart. 
Yup

« Reply #3272 on: January 05, 2022, 04:01:42 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Love and Monsters.  Thought it was fun and interesting. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3273 on: January 05, 2022, 11:46:24 PM »

Kiorrik

Not a movie;

... but if you liked Spider-verse, I do recommend watching Arcane on Netlfix.

It's absolutely gorgeous, insane soundtrack, wild characters, etc.

Really loved it.

I describe it as watching an animated painting. I have no background knowledge of the source material, but I thought the overall product was nothing short of a masterpiece.

Same. Hardly knew a thing about League - but absolutely loved this.

I'm on my third re-watch.

« Reply #3274 on: January 06, 2022, 04:22:25 AM »

Kiorrik

Again, not a movie, but errr ... Book of Boba Fett is surprisingly terrible.

Don't like the actor, don't like the script, don't like the visual effects (those ninjas were bleak man holy hells) and the story is lame as all heck so far.

How'd a quiet merciless bounty hunter turn into a "nah don't hurt them we are going to rule with respect" talkative wuss?

What a snooze.

.edit: actually, reading that back ... I think the problem might be they already did Boba Fett, but with Mando.

« Reply #3275 on: January 06, 2022, 07:24:53 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25617
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Don't like the actor, don't like the script, don't like the visual effects (those ninjas were bleak man holy hells) and the story is lame as all heck so far.

How'd a quiet merciless bounty hunter turn into a "nah don't hurt them we are going to rule with respect" talkative wuss?

What a snooze.

.edit: actually, reading that back ... I think the problem might be they already did Boba Fett, but with Mando.

I was pretty mixed after the first episode.  The effects / creature construction were definitely sub-par, as was the fighting.

I enjoyed the second episode, though.  It definitely went back to the “Western in space” feel of the Mandalorian. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3276 on: January 06, 2022, 10:47:37 AM »

Kiorrik

What a snooze.

I was pretty mixed after the first episode.  The effects / creature construction were definitely sub-par, as was the fighting.

I enjoyed the second episode, though.  It definitely went back to the “Western in space” feel of the Mandalorian.

Credit where due; I quite halfway through ep 2. Having finished the episode ... okay, lil better.

Still. That's not Boba Fett. But fair enough. He's more than he was in Ep1.

« Reply #3277 on: January 06, 2022, 10:52:23 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

What a snooze.

Credit where due; I quite halfway through ep 2. Having finished the episode ... okay, lil better.

They should have gone with Vader-era Boba Fett.  Show us some bounty hunter adventures, and show us some Prime Darth.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3278 on: January 06, 2022, 10:53:23 AM »

Kiorrik

What a snooze.

They should have gone with Vader-era Boba Fett.  Show us some bounty hunter adventures, and show us some Prime Darth.

Feige involved tho.

I'm sure the goal of Mando/Boba/Obi is to merge them all together.

« Reply #3279 on: January 12, 2022, 04:40:49 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

What a snooze.

Episode 3:  Boba and The Hipsters.

Didn’t care for much of the episode.  I’m starting to agree with you:  Fett as a benevolent crime boss is a pretty weak concept.

« Reply #3280 on: January 12, 2022, 05:35:01 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I have already mentioned before but I will say it again since it's embarrassing I have liked this movie so much and I don't want to give my wife the satisfaction of knowing I have liked a kid's musical so much but Encanto really is good. It has Lin Miranda all over with very catchy music, beautiful colors, and like a broadway musical, the dancing and imagery extremely well done.

I am embarrassed to say that I have rewatched it, without the kids. It's probably one of those movies that will get overplayed but I am in the Encanto train.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #3281 on: January 12, 2022, 05:37:23 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1491

What a snooze.

Feige involved tho.

I am a big star wars fan, but I admit that I haven't been able to get as interested in the Boba Fett series as much as I did for the Mandalorian.  I think the Mandalorian was a more of a heroic character, and so you could get behind him more.  Boba is still just a somewhat under developed neutral guy from the Original trilogy.  The 2nd episode was decent...I guess I will keep watching.  Maybe it gets better as it goes along.

I think Kenobi is the series I am waiting for.  I hope the writing for that one is first rate, otherwise I could see it being a disappointment as well.

« Reply #3282 on: January 12, 2022, 06:07:09 PM »

Kiorrik

What a snooze.

Feige involved tho.

I am a big star wars fan, but I admit that I haven't been able to get as interested in the Boba Fett series as much as I did for the Mandalorian.  I think the Mandalorian was a more of a heroic character, and so you could get behind him more.  Boba is still just a somewhat under developed neutral guy from the Original trilogy.  The 2nd episode was decent...I guess I will keep watching.  Maybe it gets better as it goes along.

I think Kenobi is the series I am waiting for.  I hope the writing for that one is first rate, otherwise I could see it being a disappointment as well.

Yeah so far he's just a random dude doing things a random dude would do.

Let's hope they don't pen Kenobi in similar fashion.

« Reply #3283 on: January 23, 2022, 01:28:18 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1827
Power Of The Dog.  Beautifully shot and acted, but it moved too slow for me.  The subject matter itself didn’t bother me, but the story arc itself didn’t do it for me.

Watched Power of the Dog last night on Netflix, and I'm glad I did.  The story can seem slow moving at times, but the acting is superb, especially the young boy's.  Most of the movie was filmed in New Zealand, however, the location shots in Montana had a lot of big sky and picturesque views of the barren countryside and rocky mountains.  This cowboy/ranch movie, set in 1925, is worth watching. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 01:56:11 PM by Silas »
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #3284 on: January 23, 2022, 07:21:57 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Watched Eternals since it was free and it was rightfully reviewed as the poorest Marvel movie.  It was ok, but the whole time I'm watching, I'm like what is the point of this movie and why is it in Phase IV.  The two end credit scenes were the best and most important part of the entire movie.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip