Author Topic: Deal with Detroit: If the season ends with no title.  (Read 7021 times)

Re: Deal with Detroit: If the season ends with no title.
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 07:58:55 AM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28
I'd like to see KD in a Celtics jersey in the next few years *Crosses fingers*
I think he would be an excellent fill for the post big 3 days.
get a solid 2 guard...and three or four years down the line we'd have a solid team based around Rondo and Durant.
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 08:02:18 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Tony Allen along with Eddie House basically have a no trade clause on their contracts.

How so?

From what I've read this summer Cassell, House and Allen all got contracts in which they could decline a trade if it involved an undesirable destination. I'm trying to find the source... but you are Roy Hobbs, enlighten me.

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 08:04:54 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Tony Allen along with Eddie House basically have a no trade clause on their contracts.

How so?

From what I've read this summer Cassell, House and Allen all got contracts in which they could decline a trade if it involved an undesirable destination. I'm trying to find the source... but you are Roy Hobbs, enlighten me.

Generally, players playing on a one year deal have a de facto no trade clause.  However, Tony is on a two-year deal.  I'm not sure how they treat it if Eddie picks up his second year option, but I'm pretty sure that it's then treated like a 2 year contract, and he can be traded without consent.  He can't, of course, be traded until he picks up that option.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 08:19:27 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

How so?

Generally, players playing on a one year deal have a de facto no trade clause.  However, Tony is on a two-year deal.  I'm not sure how they treat it if Eddie picks up his second year option, but I'm pretty sure that it's then treated like a 2 year contract, and he can be traded without consent.  He can't, of course, be traded until he picks up that option.

Well this is great news. House, Allen and Scal can act as a $8 million expiring contract, which might be enough in this economy to land to Tay and keep Ray.

I just sense flea market sales coming out of Detroit.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:53:14 AM by Jsaad »

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 08:22:34 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I have zero interest in Rip Hamilton's contract.

I'll pass - happily - on this one.

Same here, it's absurd to me to trade Ray for whoever we can get.

Plus, why shouldn't we make this trade if Boston wins the championship this year? It makes no sense to trade Ray anyway but it's even more nonsensical to keep him just because we would have won a championship, especially if the idea is to increase our chances in the future.

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 08:41:37 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Not sure Tay and Rip who are well seasoned NBA warriors would fall into the "Whoever we can get" category.

Plus, why shouldn't we make this trade if Boston wins the championship this year?

I agree, I'm just being realistic. If the C's win it Ray, Paul and KG ain't goin nowhere. They lose... all off the table.

It makes no sense to trade Ray

Sure it does, it just has to be the right deal.

it's even more nonsensical to keep him just because we would have won a championship, especially if the idea is to increase our chances in the future.

I appreciate your logic however "it is what it is" teams don't trade major championship pieces the offseason after they win it all.

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 09:04:47 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I would only trade Ray if there was an illegally pre arranged deal where he would get bought out by his new team and come back to Boston after 30 days.  Ray needs to retire a Celtic. 

Someone mentioned Scal, TA and House also have expiring contracts.  Those guys combined with Ray's could probably get two guys better than Prince and Hamilton.  There are a lot of teams that are in financial trouble that might be willing to sell off their stars to anyone with an expiring contract.  Tyson Chandler, David West, Okafor, Gerald Wallace, Camby, Kevin Martin, Zach Randolph(just kidding).... I'd rather have those guys than Hamilton or Prince. 

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 09:38:16 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439

Not sure Tay and Rip who are well seasoned NBA warriors would fall into the "Whoever we can get" category.

Plus, why shouldn't we make this trade if Boston wins the championship this year?

I agree, I'm just being realistic. If the C's win it Ray, Paul and KG ain't goin nowhere. They lose... all off the table.

it's even more nonsensical to keep him just because we would have won a championship, especially if the idea is to increase our chances in the future.

I appreciate your logic however "it is what it is" teams don't trade major championship pieces the offseason after they win it all.

Tayshaun and Rip are good players but I think we'd lose more by trading Ray while acquiring them. And Prince is overrated in my opinion, on the offensive end (at least).

I really don't understand why you would trade Ray. If he had a really disappointing season, showed no heart, etc (like Rasheed Wallace this year) I'd agree but the guy is the most consistent player of our team, the greatest shooter in the league (if not the greatest of all time), a clutch player and a veteran who helps our young guys (like Rondo) to improve.

Plus, I don't like the fact that you consider players of this championship team like "pieces of trade", I mean, aren't you glad to have Ray in this team, don't you want to see him continue to perform with Boston and retire as a Celtic? I do, and I would even if he was struggling.

And you don't know if Rip and Prince would fit in Boston, it's a huge risk in my opinion, especially when Ray will have played two years for Boston and finally found his true role in the team's offense.

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 09:42:11 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I would only trade Ray if there was an illegally pre arranged deal where he would get bought out by his new team and come back to Boston after 30 days.  Ray needs to retire a Celtic. 

Someone mentioned Scal, TA and House also have expiring contracts.  Those guys combined with Ray's could probably get two guys better than Prince and Hamilton.  There are a lot of teams that are in financial trouble that might be willing to sell off their stars to anyone with an expiring contract.  Tyson Chandler, David West, Okafor, Gerald Wallace, Camby, Kevin Martin, Zach Randolph(just kidding).... I'd rather have those guys than Hamilton or Prince. 

Camby is expiring himself, Martin is the franchise in Sac, Chandler was garbage all this year and doesn't look right, Okafor just got extended and Charlotte is not close to LT area. I like West but I'd take Tay over him for this team. Plus, with KG healthy next season you have nowhere to put West. Tay gives you more options off the bench and has loads more playoff experience. He's the perfect 6th man for this Celtics team heading into next year.

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 09:53:52 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I really don't understand why you would trade Ray. If he had a really disappointing season, showed no heart, etc (like Rasheed Wallace this year) I'd agree but the guy is the most consistent player of our team, the greatest shooter in the league (if not the greatest of all time), a clutch player and a veteran who helps our young guys (like Rondo) to improve.

Yes I agree, he's been all of that and more. That is why the Celtics will still get a considerable amount for him and his expiring contract.

Plus, I don't like the fact that you consider players of this championship team like "pieces of trade", I mean, aren't you glad to have Ray in this team, don't you want to see him continue to perform with Boston and retire as a Celtic? I do, and I would even if he was struggling.

No, my loyalty is to the uniform not the player. Although I have a strong liking for Ray (he's a class act and a good player). I still trade him if I think the Celtics are that much closer to a title. It's all about 18 for me.

And you don't know if Rip and Prince would fit in Boston, it's a huge risk in my opinion, especially when Ray will have played two years for Boston and finally found his true role in the team's offense.

Not with these guys no. Detroit (03-09) made a living off of the "us" not "I" mentality. They would fit in just fine.

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 10:00:56 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This trade makes a certain level of sense.  Two vet players that have championship level experience on a team built around defense. 

Though, I think they will want a young piece as well.  Maybe a Walker or a Davis/Powe (sign and trade)

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 10:18:24 AM »

Offline revcummings

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
Even though I love Ray I would do this deal in a heart beat for two reasons. First, I think Rip and Prince together are better than Ray and Scal (Even though Ray is the best overall player). Second, if we did this deal I think Wallace and/or McDyess would come here for cheap to make another championship run with Rip and Prince.   

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 12:13:01 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Even though I love Ray I would do this deal in a heart beat for two reasons. First, I think Rip and Prince together are better than Ray and Scal (Even though Ray is the best overall player). Second, if we did this deal I think Wallace and/or McDyess would come here for cheap to make another championship run with Rip and Prince.   

Our team would be a weird hybrid of Celtics and Pistons then.  One of my best friends would absolutely love that, but I wouldn't be wild about it.

I love Ray, he's incredibly clutch and he showed us all how much we need him in the Bulls series, not to mention last year.

That said, if we could somehow get Tayshaun as our 6th man for next year coming off the bench with BBD, Walker, some combo guard (maybe Eddie or Marbury) and a solid backup C, we'd be in awesome shape.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 12:20:12 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Tayshaun and Rip are good players but I think we'd lose more by trading Ray while acquiring them. And Prince is overrated in my opinion, on the offensive end (at least).

Hard to imagine them not fitting in. Both can play defense. Both are team players.

Ray has been great, but you have to give up value to get value. Scal + TA + House isn't getting anything.

In the end, I expect Danny will be on the phone and all sorts of crazy ideas will be thrown around where he can better gauge who is available and what the value is for our players.

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 07:38:44 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Much better idea to keep Ray and try to get just Prince.

Ray has major intangibles and just look (Bulls series) at what he can still do?
Continuity is also something to value.

Keep House also:  consummate team player, energy, and just set the percentage 3-point shot record for the Celtics....