Author Topic: Load Management  (Read 1439 times)

Load Management
« on: December 29, 2023, 10:01:18 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
Say what you want, but the C's are in the New Era of Land Management and so for it is working!!!!

Re: Load Management
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 10:42:52 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I never understood the new rules this year about load management. Seems like teams can just make up injuries to get around the rules. I’ve seen nothing different. Players rest on b2b all the time.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 07:52:42 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I never understood the new rules this year about load management. Seems like teams can just make up injuries to get around the rules. I’ve seen nothing different. Players rest on b2b all the time.

yeah, clearly Porzingis, tatum, brown, horford are fine enough to play. and yet all sat out one of the last 2 games....

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 08:08:20 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
True. What is Horford's injury? He doesn't have one, but playing b2b could create one, apparently.

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 08:12:17 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
True. What is Horford's injury? He doesn't have one, but playing b2b could create one, apparently.

Being older (I think 35+?) has a built-in exception
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 09:10:49 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Being older (I think 35+?) has a built-in exception
Yes, thanks for the reminder.

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2023, 09:23:16 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I think what the league wants to address is more of the tanking than the load management, although both are some concern.  If a team is managing the load of some of their key players, at least that still means that they are trying to win.

As to the Celtics, Tatum clearly twisted his ankle recently in a game.  Brown got kneed in the back by LeBron.  I don't think the league should have any issue with them being load managed for a period of time as a result.  As others have said, there is an age clause in the new formal rules so they can do whatever they want with Horford.

And Porzingis has a long history of injury, as do many players with his dimensions/size.  His load is clearly being managed as it should.  The actual rules were posted by someone somewhere, and I can't remember if Porzingis qualifies as a "star" or what specifically applies to him.  But there is nothing wrong with the Celtics "managing" his load through the season.  It is not his fault or an indication of his toughness or competitiveness that his body is not as durable as other players.  Nearly all "super-bigs" in the history of the game have had the same issue.  There should be a "super-big" clause in the rules  ;)

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2023, 09:41:08 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
Talking about load management reminded me of Wilt Chamberlain in 1961/62.  The Sixers never heard of such a thing, actually probably no one in the NBA ever thought about it.  Wilt averaged 48.5 min/game for the season.  Also, averaged 50.4pts and 25.7rebs/game.  Amazing!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2023, 09:57:03 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Talking about load management reminded me of Wilt Chamberlain in 1961/62.  The Sixers never heard of such a thing, actually probably no one in the NBA ever thought about it.  Wilt averaged 48.5 min/game for the season.  Also, averaged 50.4pts and 25.7rebs/game.  Amazing!

It's a fairly modern phenomenon (sorry the graph is 'backward' - goes back in time from left to right, so 2023-2024 is the first data point - but this was a quick and dirty chart).

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/mp_per_g_yearly.html

Or, if you want an anecdote: LeBron was the MPG leader in 2016-17 with 36.9 MPG, and also led the league in 2004-2005 with 42.5 MPG.

Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2023, 02:02:42 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807

It's a fairly modern phenomenon (sorry the graph is 'backward' - goes back in time from left to right, so 2023-2024 is the first data point - but this was a quick and dirty chart).

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/mp_per_g_yearly.html

Or, if you want an anecdote: LeBron was the MPG leader in 2016-17 with 36.9 MPG, and also led the league in 2004-2005 with 42.5 MPG.

Thanks, puts min/game in perspective.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2023, 07:55:22 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

I posted it on the other load management thread:

Just wondering if you think this is load management for Kristaps Porzingis? I meant they seem to hold him out in a lot of games. Seems like modern day load management to me. Keep him more fresh and healthy for when we really need him down the stretch? Just wondering what others think?

Here is the league's definition of load management:

Beginning this 2023-24 season, the new PPP mandates that teams:

• Rest no more than one star player from a game. (For purposes of the restrictions, a “star player” is defined as someone who has been an All-Star or an All-NBA selection in any of the past three seasons. It also will impact for the balance of the schedule players named to that season’s All-Star teams.)
  • Make star players available for nationally televised games and In-Season Tournament games.
  • Balance the number of one-game “rest” absences a star player accrues in home games vs. road games, with a recommendation that a player more often sit out at home.
  • Refrain from any long-term “shutdown” when a star stops participating in games or appears only in a materially reduced role that could affect the integrity of the game.
  • Have any healthy players resting for a game present and visible to fans.

The policy includes exceptions for injuries and personal absences, as well as pre-approved absences in back-to-back schedule circumstances based on a player’s age, career workload or serious-injury history.

For example, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul and other players who are at least 35 years old on opening night or have appeared in 1,000 career games or logged more than 34,000 regular-season minutes will fall into this category. Their teams must notify the league in writing at least one week in advance explaining why the player’s participation will be limited.

The league office will have authority to conduct investigations and order independent medical reviews in the event of any questionable absences.

A team’s first PPP violation would carry a fine of $100,000, according to an ESPN report. A second offense would cost $250,000 and subsequent fines would escalate by $1 million per violation.

https://www.nba.com/news/adam-silver-load-management-bog-news-conference-2023

I think what they are doing with KP doesn't fall under this because I think his last All-Star appearance was more than 3 seasons ago, and because he has suffered an injury. So technically KP isn't considered a "star" for this purpose (good for us). Al's sitting out SEGABABAs would fall under the exception for players over the age of 35.

I'm ok with what the Cs are doing, I don't think it violates the policy. I think what the league are trying to avoid is situations like where star players decide to sit out multiple games for no reason other than to "save them for the playoffs". Kawhi sat out numerous games for the Clippers even while he was healthy, to save him for the playoffs. Or the situation with Al in OKC where they decided to just not play him for parts of the season because he wasn't part of their plans (I think at the time Al wasn't 3 seasons removed from being an All Star). I think as a statement of principle what they want is "healthy star players playing while healthy".

All that said I think it's a policy that is difficult to prove - just as any employer might find it hard to prove that an employee calling in sick, who produces a sick note, is actually sick  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2023, 08:20:36 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
To me, it should be a combination of keeping guys healthy but also getting other guys minutes that could be needed in the playoffs.  Sure, the expectation is that Brissett, Stevens, etc won’t be part of the playoff rotation, but injuries and foul trouble happen and it would be nice for these guys to get acclimated to playing with the regulars and vice versa.