Author Topic: Trading Smart allowed Derrick White to Blossom?  (Read 6386 times)

Re: Trading Smart allowed Derrick White to Blossom?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2023, 10:23:14 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
White deserves credit for improving his game. But it's also true that White is getting these moments in the 4th and OT that he barely got the last two years because of Smart. Smart would often be in late in these games because of his "heart, hustle, intangibles". Well White offers that AND he can actually shoot well in these moments.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2023, 10:38:30 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
White deserves credit for improving his game. But it's also true that White is getting these moments in the 4th and OT that he barely got the last two years because of Smart. Smart would often be in late in these games because of his "heart, hustle, intangibles". Well White offers that AND he can actually shoot well in these moments.

and block shots better than any guard in the NBA.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2023, 06:28:39 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
And to think Derrick white wasn't considered a top 100 player...

Guy is averaging 16.9ppg 5.2assisrs on 50% and 42.5% from 3.

JJ Reddick thinks he deserves to be an all star

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2023, 06:37:22 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

His emergence is in part due to the fact that every other starter is a significant offensive threat, especially the Jays and KP.  DW is smart enough to exploit the situation - he takes advantage of the space available and when he attracts attention he knows what to do with the ball. All the while he’s moving strategically without the ball.. I initially thought Jrue would be the closest DJ comp on this team, but it’s more Derrick.

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2023, 06:55:36 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176

That’s fine and all but I’d prefer he not make the all star game and stays underrated and under the radar

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2023, 08:16:05 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  “ Now that smart is gone, who’s gonna be the point guard?”
  “ I don’t like this trade.”
 Bahahahaha!!!  I heard these things too many times from people I knew to be Smart fans FIRST. These people aren’t as into the Celtics this year. It’s not as exciting for them. So ridiculous.
  Smart was playing more minutes than White. Insane. But I get it. You could t upset the guy. Our locker room is so much healthier without him.

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2023, 08:17:06 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

He's the best in all of NBA history. I think I heard on the broadcast that he's the first guard to have at least 2 blocks in 6 games in a row.

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2023, 09:24:56 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

He's the best in all of NBA history. I think I heard on the broadcast that he's the first guard to have at least 2 blocks in 6 games in a row.

They went back and corrected themselves later — it sort of depends what you call a guard, so they said “guard or forward — and it’s 8 games (I forget who), with Jordan second at 7 games.