Author Topic: Should Joe keep playing Kornet?  (Read 8788 times)

Re: Should Joe keep playing Kornet?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2023, 08:04:53 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Luke Kornet has been the best big not named Porzingis or Horford so why would he not keep playing him?  Queta appears as though he could challenge Kornet for those minutes, but he has not beaten him out at this point.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 09:09:47 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2023, 12:59:15 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Two things; wasn't Luke on the upper end of the spectrum regarding defensive metrics last year?  If so, that just tells me that these stats can be fluky (so can't just cherry pick it at this time to make a point).

Second, for those asking for Queta, he's on a two-way which means he is not eligible for the playoffs.  Not sure how easy it is to change that, but you need to ask whether that is part of the long-term plan.  Obviously the last thing we want to be doing is grooming a guy that can't play in the playoffs.

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2023, 01:34:23 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Two things; wasn't Luke on the upper end of the spectrum regarding defensive metrics last year?  If so, that just tells me that these stats can be fluky (so can't just cherry pick it at this time to make a point).

Second, for those asking for Queta, he's on a two-way which means he is not eligible for the playoffs.  Not sure how easy it is to change that, but you need to ask whether that is part of the long-term plan.  Obviously the last thing we want to be doing is grooming a guy that can't play in the playoffs.

The Celtics have an open roster spot. They could easily upgrade Queta to a regular contract, right?

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2023, 01:53:47 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

The Celtics have an open roster spot. They could easily upgrade Queta to a regular contract, right?

Yes, so long as there is an open roster spot, Queta and be converted or promoted to a regular roster contract.  There may be some rules about how close to the playoffs this can be done but I am pretty sure this can be done pretty much right up to the end of the season, prior to the start of the playoffs.

Based on that, there is no reason to rush to convert Queta.  He can play when needed based on the 2-way contract and we can keep the final roster spot open and keep the flexibility to add someone if a decent player becomes available.  If nothing does, then just covert Queta at the end of the season and he can be on the playoff roster.

We also have 4 players (Banton, Stevens, Mykhailiuk, Kornet) that are partially guaranteed up to 10 Jan 24.  That date is now fairly close.  It does not look like we will waive any of these to save money, but you never know.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 02:35:34 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2023, 05:16:41 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Good to see Kornet not mess up his opportunity to play more minutes in a game  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2023, 07:52:56 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Make him the starting center, baby!  Two big lineups!  Bench whoever it takes to give the Green Kornet minutes!

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2023, 08:27:23 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Make him the starting center, baby!  Two big lineups!  Bench whoever it takes to give the Green Kornet minutes!

Let’s not get too excited  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2023, 09:33:38 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Funny how certain threads or posts seem to back fire quickly.

So the "Kornet is awful" crowd was clearly over reacting or missing something with Kornet.  But the "give him some credit" crowd (of which I am a proud member) needs to be careful not to over react to one good game.

The TOR game was the epitome or an encapsulation of everything that Kornet is.  His usefulness, his flaws, his willingness to do whatever he is asked without ego.  Luke Kornet is a valuable bench player.

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2023, 10:42:01 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Let’s not get too excited  :police:

He's averaged 20/8/3 in games in which he's played more than 25 minutes!  Fact!

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2023, 10:57:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Luke Kornet has been the best big not named Porzingis or Horford so why would he not keep playing him?  Queta appears as though he could challenge Kornet for those minutes, but he has not beaten him out at this point.
Has he? I think Queta is better and has a real chance to be A LOT better given minutes.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2023, 11:02:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Considering that Luke being on the court generally means Al and KP are off the court, I'm not sure why anyone would expect his On/Off stats to be anything but negative. KP and Al are so much better than him (and any other 3rd string center we could bring in) that looking at those stats is always going to make him look bad.

The real question isn't if Kornet is a net positive compared to KP and Al, it's if he's more of a net positive (or less of a net negative) than the other 3rd string Center/big options we have. And right now, the answer is a clear yes (except maybe Queta). I'd love for us to bring in a better 3rd string big, but until then Kornet should continue playing when Al and KP need rest, even though he isn't as good as them.

Also, for Offensive and Defensive rating basketball-reference uses a different formula than everyone else (IIRC it's to allow calculating those for players that played before possessions were tracked) so they are less accurate.

Bingo. It's a huge step down from Porzingis to Kornet.
One of these guys is Queta and one is Kornet

+- per 100 possessions
+2.1 vs. +13.3

on/off +- per 100 possessions
-9.2 vs. +3.9

so in roughly the same role, their impact is much different on the floor.

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2023, 11:03:28 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Has he? I think Queta is better and has a real chance to be A LOT better given minutes.

I think Queta has a chance to be better, because he’s more athletic.  But he makes a lot of mistakes out there.  It’s like early-career Rob —still figuring out where to be on the court, and how to communicate as the back line defender.

We should absolutely keep developing him, and I hope he sticks around on a cheap deal for the next couple seasons, but Kornet is better for winning games today.

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2023, 11:04:07 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Considering that Luke being on the court generally means Al and KP are off the court, I'm not sure why anyone would expect his On/Off stats to be anything but negative. KP and Al are so much better than him (and any other 3rd string center we could bring in) that looking at those stats is always going to make him look bad.

The real question isn't if Kornet is a net positive compared to KP and Al, it's if he's more of a net positive (or less of a net negative) than the other 3rd string Center/big options we have. And right now, the answer is a clear yes (except maybe Queta). I'd love for us to bring in a better 3rd string big, but until then Kornet should continue playing when Al and KP need rest, even though he isn't as good as them.

Also, for Offensive and Defensive rating basketball-reference uses a different formula than everyone else (IIRC it's to allow calculating those for players that played before possessions were tracked) so they are less accurate.

+- per 100 possessions
+2.1 vs. +13.3

-9.2 vs. +3.9

I’m sorry, but on-off splits are trash for guys who largely appear in garbage time.

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2023, 11:10:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

+- per 100 possessions
+2.1 vs. +13.3

-9.2 vs. +3.9

I’m sorry, but on-off splits are trash for guys who largely appear in garbage time.
They have roughly the same role on the same team though, which makes it a better comparison.  Queta is an excellent rebounder. Much better than Kornet, that sort of thing matters to playing winning basketball.  Queta is obviously much more raw than Kornet, but he has far more potential and should be getting the minutes as the 3rd big.

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2023, 11:11:05 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Its wild to me how much irrational hate that kornet gets.  Celtic fans completely misread him because I guess, he looks goofy.  He’s actually MORE athletic than queta, yet people think it’s the other way.  Moves his feet really really well, is desive, much more fluid.  The only thing queta does better is rebound (which is important).  But he’s like Tristan Thompson with the ball and not especially good team defense wise.

I play kornet; period.  And no. Queta does NOT have a lot more potential.  What do people think we actually have here, a starter quality player?  No.