Author Topic: Wyc gets richer  (Read 2022 times)

Wyc gets richer
« on: December 13, 2023, 11:02:17 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The value of NBA franchises is higher than ever nowadays, and the teams that top the list were revealed on Wednesday.

According to Kurt Badenhausen of Sportico, "The Golden State Warriors ($8.28 billion), New York Knicks ($7.43 billion) and Los Angeles Lakers ($7.34 billion) are in a class by themselves."

It was noted that the Lakers are worth a whopping 44 percent more than the fourth-place Boston Celtics, who are valued at $5.12 billion. The only sports franchise in the world worth more than the top three in the NBA is the Dallas Cowboys at $9.2 billion.

Per Badenhausen, the average team in the NBA is worth $4 billion, which is up 33 percent from 2022 and 70 percent from when Sportico began its NBA valuations three years ago. All 30 NBA teams are collectively worth $120 billion, which includes team-related businesses and real estate held by owners.

Last year Sportico valued the Celtics at $3.92 billion.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Wyc gets richer
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 11:06:28 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Always surprises me to see the Knicks up there...then I remember the MSG deal and their sponsorships.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 11:55:00 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Give Wyc some credit.  The team has been a perennial contender, one of the best if not the best run organization in the sport.  I know people like to complain when they don't sign Dwight Howard or trade for Nerlens Noel, or match Grant Williams, thinking this is an indication that the owners are cheap, but I am pretty happy with what they have done with the franchise and apparently that is being reflected in the value of the franchise.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 11:55:43 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
If the Warriors traded Curry today. What would they be worth tomorrow?

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2023, 12:10:09 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Ain't nothing wrong with Wyc making money. Imagine all the people who are employed because of this. Also, lots of charities.  8)
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2023, 12:11:13 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
The Gaston family turned $15 million in 1983 into $360 million in 2002, but they must be feeling regret over the profits they could have gained if they had just held on.

Talk about an ownership group dealt a bad hand. Granted, they bought a team with the best player on the planet at the time and managed to win two titles, but it was nothing but misfortune after the passing of Len Bias, really up until they sold. Obviously, losing Lewis, too, was devastating. They put all their eggs in the Pitino era, and once that fell apart, they started the process of cashing out. Some say they pushed Chris Wallace into making the Van Baker deal in an effort to snag a few million more as they ran out the door.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2023, 12:14:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I guess he can come off food stamps now ?

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2023, 01:41:25 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

I have a hard time buying that the Warriors are so valuable.  Sportico is paywalled, so I couldn't dig in there, but Forbes has a a similar list with details that also has the Warriors at #1.  Forbes' values breakdown as follows:

You're telling me both Golden State's market and brand is right there with the Lakers and Knicks? They're only tenth in US media market.  And while Curry sells jerseys, not that many jerseys (if he were consistenly #1-#2 for 20 years like LeBron maybe I could buy it).  Quickly looking back at old Forbes' lists, it's not like Miami or Cleveland were topping the lists when LeBron was there.

But that's all minor compared to Stadium value, wow.  I know they have the latest stadium (and only other teams to build in the last 10 years are mid-to-small markets MIL, DET, SAC), that puts them double the next highest, and like 4x-5x more valuable than the rest of the league?  Wonder how the Clippers new stadium will rank value wise? 

The Warriors also seem to be far and away the Revenue leader.  I think that's driven from the Stadium deal?  I would love to see a breakdown of how all that works compared to other teams.

Definitely interested to see where the Warriors rank after a few years of bad luck when they're rebuilding again.  I don't think their market or brand is that strong, but time will tell I suppose.  And if their stadium deal is that valuable, will other teams follow suit, or do they really have something unique/special?

If I were looking to buy a team, I've always thought Atlanta seems like the most affordable option with potential to turn it into something.  Good weather, top 10ish city for media market and economy, affordable, strong black culture, growing film production center, etc. Seems like Atlanta has the most untapped potential.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 03:45:55 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2023, 01:53:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I have a hard time buying that the Warriors are so valuable.  Sportico is paywalled, so I couldn't dig in there, but Forbes has a a similar list with details that also has the Warriors at #1.  Forbes' values breakdown as follows:

You're telling me both Golden State's market and brand is right there with the Lakers and Knicks? They're only tenth in US media market.  And while Curry sells jerseys, not that many jerseys (if he were consistenly #1-#2 for 20 years like LeBron maybe I could buy it).  Quickly looking back at old Forbes' lists, it's not like Miami or Cleveland were topping the lists when LeBron was there.

But that's all minor compared to Stadium value, wow.  I know they have the latest stadium (and only other teams to build in the last 10 years are mid-to-small markets MIL, DET, SAC), that puts them double the next highest, and like 4x-5x more valuable than the rest of the league?  Wonder how the Clippers new stadium will rank value wise? 

The Warriors also seem to be far and away the Revenue leader.  I think that's driven from the Stadium deal?  I would love to see a breakdown of how all that works compared to other teams.

Definitely interested to see where the Warriors rank after a few years of bad luck when they're rebuilding again.  I don't think their market or brand is that strong, but time will tell I suppose.  And if their stadium deal is that valuable, will other teams follow suit, or do they really have something unique/special?

If I were looking to buy a team, I've always thought Atlanta seems like the most affordable option with potential to turn it into something.  Good weather, top 10ish city for market and economy, affordable, strong black culture, growing film production center, etc. Seems like Atlanta has the most untapped potential.

Here's a breakdown of revenue:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193704/revenue-of-national-basketball-association-teams-in-2010/

The Warriors are raking it in hand over first, 50% more than any other team.  I assume sponsorships along with lots of premium seats?

What does "sport" refer to, and why do the Clippers rank highest?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2023, 02:01:25 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

If I were looking to buy a team, I've always thought Atlanta seems like the most affordable option with potential to turn it into something.  Good weather, top 10ish city for market and economy, affordable, strong black culture, growing film production center, etc. Seems like Atlanta has the most untapped potential.

Here's a breakdown of revenue:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193704/revenue-of-national-basketball-association-teams-in-2010/

The Warriors are raking it in hand over first, 50% more than any other team.  I assume sponsorships along with lots of premium seats?

What does "sport" refer to, and why do the Clippers rank highest?

Ha for breakdown of revenue, I meant where does it come from?  You're telling me other teams can't get lucrative sponsorships too or sell lots of premium seats too?

For definitions:
Sport = Portion of franchise's value attributable to revenue shared among all teams.
Market = Portion of franchise's value attributable to its city and market size.
Stadium = Portion of franchise's value attributable to its arena.
Brand = Portion of franchise's value attributable to its brand.

Ya the Clippers don't make sense since they have a high team payroll.  Not sure what's going on there.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2023, 02:08:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Surprised MIL's stadium is so low.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2023, 03:22:50 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
The Gaston family turned $15 million in 1983 into $360 million in 2002, but they must be feeling regret over the profits they could have gained if they had just held on.

Talk about an ownership group dealt a bad hand. Granted, they bought a team with the best player on the planet at the time and managed to win two titles, but it was nothing but misfortune after the passing of Len Bias, really up until they sold. Obviously, losing Lewis, too, was devastating. They put all their eggs in the Pitino era, and once that fell apart, they started the process of cashing out. Some say they pushed Chris Wallace into making the Van Baker deal in an effort to snag a few million more as they ran out the door.

If I recall correctly, it was this weird tactic where balancing the books for one year somehow made the team more attractive to buyers even though anybody with any brains knew it would hurt the team's financials more in the long term.

I don't feel bad for them, Gaston was a feckless owner. By comparison, Wyc is amazing despite not being the richest.

I'm curious about the "Stadium" rating. Is it so low due to Wyc not owning the facility? Or is it just low because it's an older building?

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2023, 03:26:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

If I recall correctly, it was this weird tactic where balancing the books for one year somehow made the team more attractive to buyers even though anybody with any brains knew it would hurt the team's financials more in the long term.

I don't feel bad for them, Gaston was a feckless owner. By comparison, Wyc is amazing despite not being the richest.

I'm curious about the "Stadium" rating. Is it so low due to Wyc not owning the facility? Or is it just low because it's an older building?

What's crazy is that the "New Garden" is now the 7th oldest arena in the NBA. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2023, 05:22:21 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Wyc is a rich kid. He inherited a ton of money from his father, who cofounded Continental Cablevision. He was filthy rich before he bought this team, and is in the same situation now.

I'm happy that he has demonstrated an interest in this team. There are many other owners in sports that have demonstrated less interest in the product.

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2023, 04:55:25 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Wyc is a rich kid. He inherited a ton of money from his father, who cofounded Continental Cablevision. He was filthy rich before he bought this team, and is in the same situation now.

I'm happy that he has demonstrated an interest in this team. There are many other owners in sports that have demonstrated less interest in the product.

Nepo baby. But he's OUR nepo baby at least  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D