Author Topic: Shams: Expects Celtics to be active before trade deadline  (Read 16924 times)

Re: Shams: Celtics to be active before trade deadline
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2023, 08:48:19 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
Not sure I Stewart adds more than Pritchard does.

Plus do we really want to get rid of PP?

No.

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2023, 01:37:18 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
Brad has been saying since August that we will be looking to add bench help. This should be no surprise to anyone. We are all in this season, and have trade exceptions, picks, and a few non-guaranteed contracts to offer. If there's anything out there that can add to our core 6, I expect the Celtics to go for it.

I don't expect us to make a move just to add someone that will sit on the bench and come in at garbage time, or to react to any moves other contenders may make though. We have the best record in the league and the best roster, we are in the drivers seat.

Yes it has to be someone and add value more so than who we already have, who will move the needle to justify the cost.

We absolutely need a quality backup center with some size and bulk. I see it as a huge hole in this team, unless Queta improves with some regular minutes.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 01:43:21 AM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2023, 01:48:12 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Brad has been saying since August that we will be looking to add bench help. This should be no surprise to anyone. We are all in this season, and have trade exceptions, picks, and a few non-guaranteed contracts to offer. If there's anything out there that can add to our core 6, I expect the Celtics to go for it.

I don't expect us to make a move just to add someone that will sit on the bench and come in at garbage time, or to react to any moves other contenders may make though. We have the best record in the league and the best roster, we are in the drivers seat.

Yes it has to be someone and add value more so than who we already have, who will move the needle to justify the cost.

We absolutely need a quality center with some size and bulk. I see it as a huge hole in this team, unless Queta improves with some regular minutes.
Center is not a big need. You win in this league by knocking down 3's and defending the wings. This is not the same game as it was even 5 years ago.

I'd be open to adding another shooter but he needs to be good enough for Joe to actually use him. Brissett and Stevens are good enough to be in the rotatation and both are cheap. If you can find an upgrade on Banton - meaning a guard who can take care of the ball, and shoot as well as defend, that might help. But that skill set isn't likely to come cheap.

Another big who can guard Giannis or Embid for a few minutes a game might help - but only if you move on from Queta. With Queta you can use his fouls. Kornet is fine vs about 90% of the league in the regular season for the role he plays.

But anything else probably won't be worth what you give up - plus Joe wouldn't likely use him anyway.

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2023, 02:31:09 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

We absolutely need a quality backup center with some size and bulk. I see it as a huge hole in this team, unless Queta improves with some regular minutes.

OK, like who?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2023, 06:43:05 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Payton very important in backup role and Big Q is developing nicely..I would wait on buyout candidates..Blanton, Stevens & Brissett know their roles and should be factors down the stretch
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2023, 09:37:45 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 Yeah, I think Kelly O would have to be traded and bought out or sone kind of 3 team thing. I think Jordan Walsh could he viewed as a nice future asset if other teams are doing their homework . But it would  have to be a team taking the long road back to being competitive.  I’d be surprised if Walsh isn’t an average rotation level player by next year. I think he can be a really good bench contributor in a couple of years.

« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2023, 11:27:15 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Payton very important in backup role and Big Q is developing nicely..I would wait on buyout candidates..Blanton, Stevens & Brissett know their roles and should be factors down the stretch
Fair enough, but do you extend Kornet on Jan 10? With Q's improvement I would convert his 2-way to a full contract and let Kornet go. The buyout market may not yield a good piece.

« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2023, 06:34:56 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Fair enough, but do you extend Kornet on Jan 10? With Q's improvement I would convert his 2-way to a full contract and let Kornet go. The buyout market may not yield a good piece.

I’m in this camp as well. I’m just not sure if Brad cuts Luke. He just seems to be a “Brad type of guy” and his teammates appear to really like him. It would really be interesting to see what happens on Jan 10. As for Q, I think Brad needs to convert him (and extend him if that’s allowed) to a regular contract while he can be had for cheap. That’s what we did with Sam right?

« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2023, 07:57:34 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

He's making around the minimum and we have an open roster spot. He's not getting cut.

Maybe if we make another deal before then, but I don't see anything imminent. Queta and Luke is miles ahead of just Queta, especially if KP or Horford get hurt and miss a significant amount of time.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2023, 11:12:37 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

He's making around the minimum and we have an open roster spot. He's not getting cut.

Maybe if we make another deal before then, but I don't see anything imminent. Queta and Luke is miles ahead of just Queta, especially if KP or Horford get hurt and miss a significant amount of time.
Sorry, I just don't agree with that sentiment. From a basketball perspective, Kornet seems like a net-negative to me.

« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2023, 12:22:26 PM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

We absolutely need a quality center with some size and bulk. I see it as a huge hole in this team, unless Queta improves with some regular minutes.
Center is not a big need. You win in this league by knocking down 3's and defending the wings. This is not the same game as it was even 5 years ago.

I'd be open to adding another shooter but he needs to be good enough for Joe to actually use him. Brissett and Stevens are good enough to be in the rotatation and both are cheap. If you can find an upgrade on Banton - meaning a guard who can take care of the ball, and shoot as well as defend, that might help. But that skill set isn't likely to come cheap.

Another big who can guard Giannis or Embid for a few minutes a game might help - but only if you move on from Queta. With Queta you can use his fouls. Kornet is fine vs about 90% of the league in the regular season for the role he plays.

But anything else probably won't be worth what you give up - plus Joe wouldn't likely use him anyway.

totally disagree here.  The C's would love to play allot more 2 big lineups, but just can't due to lack of talent.  Yes they really prefer bigs who can hit the outside shot and can switch on D, but 1 guy on the floor can buck those preferences against the other teams second teams.  We are talking about 5 to 15 mins a game here...What they need is a blake griffin type player.  One who is better suited for PF with another big, but can bang with Jokic, Embiid, and Giannis along with a few of the larger teams out there like cleveland and toronto.  D and rebounding would be maximized with 2 bigs, all be it it might hurt the O a little. 

« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2023, 12:26:20 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

totally disagree here.  The C's would love to play allot more 2 big lineups, but just can't due to lack of talent.  Yes they really prefer bigs who can hit the outside shot and can switch on D, but 1 guy on the floor can buck those preferences against the other teams second teams.  We are talking about 5 to 15 mins a game here...What they need is a blake griffin type player.  One who is better suited for PF with another big, but can bang with Jokic, Embiid, and Giannis along with a few of the larger teams out there like cleveland and toronto.  D and rebounding would be maximized with 2 bigs, all be it it might hurt the O a little.
i certainly agree with the bolded, but i am not sure where such a player would be. players who can "bang" with THE best players in the nba will not be numerous. nor will they be available on the cheap.

would you be able to provide some examples of players you are thinking of? thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Re: Shams: Expects Celtics to be active before trade deadline
« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2024, 10:55:46 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
Saddiq Bey is someone who's name has popped up in recent days as a target.

The idea would be, he gives them additional wing insurance and a scoring punch off the bench which the C's sometimes lack. If they also aren't sold Hauser can give them 15+ minutes a game consistently in the playoffs, Bey can slot in and also give the Jays a bit of a breather during the regular season. He'd probably immediately slot in as the 7th or 8th guy even over Pritchard (assuming Horford is 6).

He'd easily fit in the TPE as well and can probably be had for multiple 2nds
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2024, 11:10:07 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd be down with Bey.  Osman, too. 

But, unless there's an injury, bringing in Griffin or another ring chaser after a buyout is still the most probable outcome.  If the team is playing like this in late January, it's a pretty defensible strategy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2024, 11:12:40 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I think I prefer Bey to Griffin on paper, but there's something to be said for the fact that everyone in the organisation appears to love Blake. The locker room intangibles are surely there in spades.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.