Author Topic: Bad takes.  (Read 6449 times)

Re: Bad takes.
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2023, 06:20:13 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Thought we'd easily beat both Golden State (22) and Miami (23) in the playoffs.

In 2016 I thought we should trade the pick for Butler first (debatable if that was the wrong take or not), but if no trade then I wanted to take a swing on Chriss with the third pick. Loved his size and potential, but clearly the character issues were more impactful to his career.

In 2017 I was fully aboard the Fultz train, though was happy with the trade that netted us Tatum and the additional pick.

Most recently - betting $500 at +900 that the C's would win the in-season tournament. Should've known with Orlando in our grouping that we'd somehow find a way to lose group play.  :-\
Is there a difference between a bad take and thinking something that turns out to be incorrect? I'd say that expecting us to beat Miami falls into that category - I think every Celtics fan would agree that series had no business going on as long as it did (we should have blown them out earlier).

That sending KG and Pierce to Brooklyn a mistake.
I was all for the trade, however I didn't like re-signing them to begin with. I thought the team was doomed for mediocrity by re-signing them. I never would have imagined that trade coming along to not only bail us out, but set us up for the future.

I think Roy and I were some of the very few that didn't like the Kyrie trade at the time it was made.  It just didn't make sense to me without the necessary follow up of trading Brown for Leonard (or something else like that).
I'm much more sentimental - I would have much rather had them both ride off into the sunset with us, especially Pierce as a lifetime Celtics.

This is one of the many reasons why I don't hold a front-office gig in the NBA.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2023, 07:45:07 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
One of my bad takes:
Wanting Buddy Hield over Jaylen Brown in that draft.

I'm sure there are more.

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2023, 08:01:29 AM »

Online G-Bones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 97
I thought Romeo Langford could be a rotational level player.  Ugh

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2023, 08:57:33 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I was psyched when we drafted Aaron Nesmith.  I predicted that Danny would draft Maxey, but I wanted Nesmith.

Sadly, wrong on both.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2023, 09:39:42 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I was psyched when we drafted Aaron Nesmith.  I predicted that Danny would draft Maxey, but I wanted Nesmith.

Sadly, wrong on both.
Nesmith has been fine. Not nearly as good as Maxey of course, but not much off the value you'd expect from his draft slot (at least the last 2 years in Indy i.e. 10.2 ppg, 3.7 rpg and 37.8% from 3). A nice solid rotation player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2023, 02:20:04 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
A solid example of a bad take & a good take.

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2023, 02:35:19 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 488
I thought Romeo Langford could be a rotational level player.  Ugh
I have gotten to the point where I can talk myself into almost any NBA level prospect. It consistently happens for about a week after we draft them.
#JKJB

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2023, 02:36:47 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Thought we'd easily beat both Golden State (22) and Miami (23) in the playoffs.

In 2016 I thought we should trade the pick for Butler first (debatable if that was the wrong take or not), but if no trade then I wanted to take a swing on Chriss with the third pick. Loved his size and potential, but clearly the character issues were more impactful to his career.

In 2017 I was fully aboard the Fultz train, though was happy with the trade that netted us Tatum and the additional pick.

Most recently - betting $500 at +900 that the C's would win the in-season tournament. Should've known with Orlando in our grouping that we'd somehow find a way to lose group play.  :-\
Is there a difference between a bad take and thinking something that turns out to be incorrect? I'd say that expecting us to beat Miami falls into that category - I think every Celtics fan would agree that series had no business going on as long as it did (we should have blown them out earlier).

That sending KG and Pierce to Brooklyn a mistake.
I was all for the trade, however I didn't like re-signing them to begin with. I thought the team was doomed for mediocrity by re-signing them. I never would have imagined that trade coming along to not only bail us out, but set us up for the future.

I think Roy and I were some of the very few that didn't like the Kyrie trade at the time it was made.  It just didn't make sense to me without the necessary follow up of trading Brown for Leonard (or something else like that).
I'm much more sentimental - I would have much rather had them both ride off into the sunset with us, especially Pierce as a lifetime Celtics.

This is one of the many reasons why I don't hold a front-office gig in the NBA.
Are you trying to say you had a shot at a front-office gig?

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2023, 03:13:50 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
No?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2023, 03:14:52 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
We do have a former CBer who currently holds an NBA front office job so dreams can come true.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2023, 03:15:13 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
I mean, if Hinkie could do it…

Is that what happened to Saltlover?

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2023, 03:24:43 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2023, 04:59:35 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
I thought we'd win some titles with Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford lineup.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2023, 06:52:49 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
Kedrick Brown.

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2023, 07:10:03 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I thought we'd win some titles with Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford lineup.

Me too.

Even after Hayward was hurt I thought with Al And Kyrie we still were in the hunt.   I never knew what a whack job Kyrie was until after Hayward was hurt.   I ve never seen a star shrink like he did so quickly.

I wouldn’t trust Irving to feed my cat.