Author Topic: Smart leading Grizz to 0 and 4 start  (Read 7985 times)

Smart leading Grizz to 0 and 4 start
« on: October 31, 2023, 01:13:56 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Career high 17.2 ppg 6 apg 3 spg early in the season.  We know Ja Morant I'd Suspended but you still have Jaren Jackson, Desmond Bane, Williams,  Tilman and D Rose on the team.

I for one was really glad to move on from Smart. Will see how they look full strength with Morant back,  but I'm glad we don't have to watch him shoot us out of games anymore.

Re: Smart leading Grizz to 0 and 4 start
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 01:16:35 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Agreed, for every one good thing he did, there were two bad things.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 01:27:10 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1679
Wouldn't really blame Smart for their struggles.  If anything he's punching above his weight offensively to even keep them in games.  They just have no offensive firepower as a team.  Bane and JJJ aren't going to win many games as your top two scorers unless they're surrounded by a lot of secondary talent. 

Also citing Derrick Rose as an example of depth is a bit much.  He looks washed.  With all of their absences Memphis goes about four deep on solid NBA talent.  The injuries to Clarke and Adams really hurt.  Coupled with their lack of top-end talent, that just won't get it done. 

They won't matter this season, even when Morant gets back. 

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023, 01:28:24 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Don't agree. 

Smart is a good player but he is not the guy who is going to "LEAD" any team to anything.  Bane, Jackson, and for sure Morant are all ahead of him in terms of leading the team to success.  Sounds to me like Marcus is doing exactly what they expected him to do.  And you forgot to mention that he is 39% from 3 so far.

What exactly do you expect him to do?

Not only was Marcus a warrior for the Celtics from day one, he had enough value that he got us Porzingis and 2 firsts.  So 8 seasons of solid play and then traded for that return.  What more could he do for the Celtics?

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2023, 01:28:54 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Their frontcourt took a big hit losing Adams for the year, and Aldama the first few games. Maybe when Aldama returns it will help stabilize their frontcourt.

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2023, 01:42:58 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
ummm. Smart wasn't traded because he was hurting the Celtics (he wasn't).  He was traded to get Porzingis.

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2023, 01:46:32 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Memphis won't be anywhere near full strength as Adams and Clarke are out for the entire year.  Morant is suspended.  Back up PG Jones was traded in the Smart trade.  Brooks signed with Houston.  Aldama and Kennard are also currently out do to injury.  That team is a broken mess as virtually their entire rotation (except for Jackson and Bane) from last year is currently gone/injured and their replacements are awful.

Smart has been very solid so far.

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2023, 02:06:30 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Memphis is 9 points better with Smart on the court than off.  As others have said, Memphis’ problem is injuries/Morant — 40% of their payroll is either hurt or suspended.  Jaren Jackson Jr. also has had a rough start to the season.

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2023, 02:34:54 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I won't stick the boot in him. He wasn't a perfect player but he gave his all for us while he was here, and I wish him well going forward.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2023, 02:46:38 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 I’m so glad I don’t have to watch him but it was the smart super fans  that annoyed me even more. Guarantee that follow up miracle from White? That ball was supposed to go right back to him for an open jumper. Nope. Marcus hero ball. But not criticized really ‘cuz he’s so beloved here. Blecch.

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2023, 03:09:15 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Memphis is 9 points better with Smart on the court than off.  As others have said, Memphis’ problem is injuries/Morant — 40% of their payroll is either hurt or suspended.  Jaren Jackson Jr. also has had a rough start to the season.

100% agree with you.

The Steven Adams injury in particular is a killer for the Grizzlies. He balanced out their front court, compensating for any Jackson Jr deficiencies.

In saying all that, plays like this do not help Marcus’ reputation.

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2023, 03:34:28 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Oh goody, the sports fan equivalent of getting turned down by a woman and then saying "Yeah whatever you're ugly anyway"  ::)

Smart was great for us, but when the opportunity to get Porzingis (and picks) came up you have to make the deal. Even as a big Smart fan I have no problem recognizing that. He's also never going to be a good #1, so I don't know why you're acting like he should be just to take a shot at him. I have my doubts about his fit next to Morant, but I'm not going to judge the trade just off of how many games Memphis wins without Ja and Adams.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2023, 04:03:16 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Agreed, for every one good thing he did, there were two bad things.

What a sad way to remember Marcus Smart. He did twice as many bad things as good things?

Ja Morant is by far their best player. Jaren Jackson is a good player, as is Desmond Bane. They need Morant to be a good team.

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2023, 04:07:05 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
He is leading them in turnovers. 4 per game.  :-X
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2023, 04:46:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Once he starts his Curry heat check threes , you wait,  Grizz  fan base will plead for Boston to reclaim him.  ;D