Author Topic: James Harden Traded to Clippers  (Read 9185 times)

Re: James Harden Traded to Clippers
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2023, 10:55:53 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Philly overplayed their hand here. I bet they could have gotten a similar package in July, and then had the picks and expiring salaries to be involved in the Lillard or Holiday discussions without trying to force through an awkward 3 or 4-way trade that didn’t work.

They can try to do something the weeks before the deadline now, but my guess is they don’t get anything done because Morey instead wants to hold onto his cap space and negotiates too hard, yet again, wasting another Embiid season.
I suppose this is true, but is it really another wasted season compared to standing pat and keeping Harden on the roster? I'm not so sure.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2023, 10:59:13 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Philly overplayed their hand here. I bet they could have gotten a similar package in July, and then had the picks and expiring salaries to be involved in the Lillard or Holiday discussions without trying to force through an awkward 3 or 4-way trade that didn’t work.

They can try to do something the weeks before the deadline now, but my guess is they don’t get anything done because Morey instead wants to hold onto his cap space and negotiates too hard, yet again, wasting another Embiid season.
I suppose this is true, but is it really another wasted season compared to standing pat and keeping Harden on the roster? I'm not so sure.

Seemed like it was "a [dang]ed if you do, [dang]ed if you don't"  situation. 

All I know is Embiid is turning 30 this March so the clock is definitely going to start ticking.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2023, 11:00:33 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
They traded Tucker in the deal

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2023, 11:06:29 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
So the Clippers will roll with:

A two center rotation of Zubac & Plumlee.

They now only have two legit forwards with PG13 and Kawhi and no backup forwards behind them. They do have T Mann who is 6-5 215lbs as their biggest bench guard so he will presumably play most of the backup forward minutes. Maybe J Harden will get some minutes there as well. He has the bulk to play there. So probably lineup combinations with one of PG13 or Kawhi at PF alongside either Mann or Harden at SF.

Then they have good depth at guard. Westbrook and Bones Hyland at PG. They have Harden, Norm Powell and Amir Coffey at SG.

C: Zubac, Plumlee
F: PG13, (nobody)
F: Kawhi, T Mann
G: Harden, N Powell, A Coffey
G: Westbrook, B Hyland

Is Amir Coffey a legit two position wing or a tall slender SG? It has been awhile since I last saw him play. I do not remember.

They traded Tucker in the deal

Oh, that is a great addition to the deal for LAC. Balances out their bench.

F: PG13, PJ Tucker
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 11:19:53 AM by Who »

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2023, 11:14:03 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Clippers vs LeBron.  Will be fun to watch.  ;D

« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2023, 11:17:54 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
So the Clippers will roll with:

A two center rotation of Zubac & Plumlee.

They now only have two legit forwards with PG13 and Kawhi and no backup forwards behind them. They do have T Mann who is 6-5 215lbs as their biggest bench guard so he will presumably play most of the backup forward minutes. Maybe J Harden will get some minutes there as well. He has the bulk to play there. So probably lineup combinations with one of PG13 or Kawhi at PF alongside either Mann or Harden at SF.

Then they have good depth at guard. Westbrook and Bones Hyland at PG. They have Harden, Norm Powell and Amir Coffey at SG.

F: PG13, (nobody)

Is Amir Coffey a legit two position wing or a tall slender SG? It has been awhile since I last saw him play. I do not remember.

Didn't the Clippers get PJ Tucker in the trade?  He is a perfectly fine back up PF.  I am not suggesting that I think this roster is going to "click" or anything like that but I can see the plan.  The issue for them is really no different now than before the trade.  If Kawhi and Paul George hold up, they will be fine.  Harden should fit fine with them.  But Kawhi and George probably won't hold up and Harden and Westbrook can't carry a team anymore.

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2023, 11:21:40 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Really can’t stand James Harden…

Are there really many James Harden fans walking this earth?

Harden doesn't bother me. Not anymore. Not for a long time. He used to bug me when he was in Houston watching him over-dribble the ball all the time. It was ugly.

Harden hasn't been as bad since. He has had to share the ball more both in Brooklyn and in Philly. I haven't found him bothersome since leaving Houston.

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2023, 11:32:16 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Well overall I don't hate it for the Sixers. Got firsts in 26' and 28'. George will be in his age 35 season, Kawhi in his age 34 season by the time the 25-26 season rolls around. Those picks could be good, but more to the point they are ammo that can be used in a trade. They now have like literally 100M in expiring contracts to make a trade. But if they can't they should at least have room this summer to sign some guy(s).

Contracts on the books for Sixers 24-25:
Embiid: 51.4
Paul Reed: 7.7 Non-guaranteed (Becomes Guaranteed if Sixers make 2nd round this year).
Jaden Springer: 4.0 Rookie Scale Team option
Felipe Petrusev: 1.9 Non-guaranteed

They need to extend Maxey of course, but they can use his low cap hold to fill out around him first.

So they can either get another guy via free agency, or via trade now. Decent flexibility. of course if they strike out.....bye bye Embiid.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 11:42:37 AM by keevsnick »

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2023, 11:37:56 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
The 76ers frontcourt depth is much improved. They can move Paul Reed back to backup center with Marcus Morris taking over at backup PF. Move Mo Bamba back to 3rd string.

They have loads of depth at backup SF with K Oubre, R Covington and now KJ Martin. They still have D Melton and N Batum at SG.

C: Embiid, P Reed, Mo Bamba
F: PJ Tucker, Marcus Morris, R Covington
F: T Harris, K Oubre, KJ Martin
G: N Batum, D Melton
G: Maxey, P Beverley

A much improved bench.

PJ Tucker is in the trade too

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2023, 11:50:08 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
The 76ers frontcourt depth is much improved. They can move Paul Reed back to backup center with Marcus Morris taking over at backup PF. Move Mo Bamba back to 3rd string.

They have loads of depth at backup SF with K Oubre, R Covington and now KJ Martin. They still have D Melton and N Batum at SG.

C: Embiid, P Reed, Mo Bamba
F: PJ Tucker, Marcus Morris, R Covington
F: T Harris, K Oubre, KJ Martin
G: N Batum, D Melton
G: Maxey, P Beverley

A much improved bench.

PJ Tucker is in the trade too

Yeah, I missed that.

Who will start at forward now with PJ Tucker gone?

Marcus Morris looks the best bet to me. Covington could be an option. They could go smaller with Tobias Harris moving to PF and Kelly Oubre starting at SF.

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2023, 12:01:18 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
From the Clippers perspective, a Harden/Westbrook starting combo doesn't seem like a good fit.

Houston had to use that micro-ball gimmick to make those two work alongside one another. A 5 out offense to give Westbrook enough spacing to operate. Zubac and Plumlee cannot do that.

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2023, 12:11:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Saw a comedy tweet that Harden has already demanded a trade from the Clippers. I about spit my water out I was laughing so hard.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2023, 12:46:22 PM »

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
Clippers had to buy out Danny Green. I think he'd be a good add for our bench. Definitely not a significant step up. But a step up nonetheless. Hopefully Brad is working on it.

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2023, 12:46:31 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
From the Clippers perspective, a Harden/Westbrook starting combo doesn't seem like a good fit.

Houston had to use that micro-ball gimmick to make those two work alongside one another. A 5 out offense to give Westbrook enough spacing to operate. Zubac and Plumlee cannot do that.

Yeah, but a small-ball lineup with Westbrook-Harden-George-Leonard-Tucker can.

Lue is a good coach. He will get the most out of that team. They are scarry.

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2023, 12:57:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Yeah, but a small-ball lineup with Westbrook-Harden-George-Leonard-Tucker can.

Lue is a good coach. He will get the most out of that team. They are scarry.

True. That is a dangerous small ball / micro ball lineup.

I keep forgetting PJ Tucker is on that team. I missed him in the deal when I first saw the trade and started thinking about the teams.