Author Topic: Trade Idea: Eric Gordon  (Read 2695 times)

Trade Idea: Eric Gordon
« on: January 26, 2022, 03:27:24 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I saw a rumor about the Celtics looking into bringing back Daniel Theis.  This idea made little sense to me, because where would he fit?  He makes too much to be a third big behind Horford and TL, we're not trading TL, and Horford to Houston didn't make much sense.  But then, what if Theis isn't the real target from Houston, but a secondary piece?

Houston gets:
Horford
Nesmith

Celtics get:
Eric Gordon
Daniel Theis

With Horford's deal only partially guaranteed next summer, Houston wouldn't have to do the awkward dance they're doing with John Wall -- he could just be released if they didn't want to play him.  Houston clears salary the next two years and gets another prospect.  The Celtics get a guy who can actually be a shooter/scorer off the bench (44.5% from 3 on 5 attempts per game), while getting a big who has paired well with TL in the past (+17.4 net rating when on the court together last year, albeit in limited opportunities). C's also get under the tax.

I think Houston probably wants a pick too, but I think the C's shouldn't make the trade if that's what it came to.  Gordon's shooting great this year, but it's a major spike from his recent levels at age 33,  His contract isn't bad, but it's not a bargain.

Re: Trade Idea: Eric Gordon
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 03:32:07 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'll pass on Gordon. I think the idea of him has always been better than the reality of him. Truth is, he's a guy with a sketchy injury history and a far streakier 3 point shot than most realize.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 03:52:20 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
I'll pass on Gordon. I think the idea of him has always been better than the reality of him. Truth is, he's a guy with a sketchy injury history and a far streakier 3 point shot than most realize.

While I agree with you on the injuries, this year he’s been a lot more selective with his shooting than in prior years.  He averaged between 9.6 and 10.7 3s per 36 the last 5 seasons.  This year he’s down to 6.3.  If he brings over that shot selection (which feels not impossible), he could be a major upgrade to the bench at a position of need (guard/wing scoring).

He’s also non-guaranteed after next season, which means next year is essentially an expiring deal.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 03:58:39 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
I kinda like it. If it were Romeo going out in place of Nesmith, that would probably tip the scales to get me to say yes.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 04:05:34 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
I kinda like it. If it were Romeo going out in place of Nesmith, that would probably tip the scales to get me to say yes.

I'm generally indifferent between the two, but I think Romeo would have a better chance of contributing on a team with Gordon than would Nesmith.  I also think Houston would prefer Nesmith because he's a year further from being eligible for free agency, and the summer of 2023 is when Houston might try to make a free agency splash (they could have double max salary room).

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 04:24:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Isn't Terrence Ross a cheaper version of Gordon? Ross would fit in TPE and would be much cheaper.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 04:43:27 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Isn't Terrence Ross a cheaper version of Gordon? Ross would fit in TPE and would be much cheaper.

I think Gordon is a substantially better shooter/scorer than Ross.  Ross’s career best TS% is worse than Gordon’s career average (and this year they aren’t even in the same conversation).  This despite the fact that Gordon averages about 30% more attempts per game.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 05:19:05 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I think Gordon is a substantially better shooter/scorer than Ross.  Ross’s career best TS% is worse than Gordon’s career average (and this year they aren’t even in the same conversation).  This despite the fact that Gordon averages about 30% more attempts per game.

OK then...

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 05:37:28 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
If we are trading with the Rockets, my target would be Christian Wood.

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 05:38:53 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
If we are trading with the Rockets, my target would be Christian Wood.

Of course, but the rumor was the Celtics asked about Theis, and getting both of the doesn’t make much sense.  So I came up with this idea instead.

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 05:40:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Why would Boston want Eric Gordon?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 05:45:53 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Because he’s shooting 44.5% from 3 on 5 attempts a game, and is a capable passer, two things that the Celtics have need for in the rotation.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 08:31:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Because he’s shooting 44.5% from 3 on 5 attempts a game, and is a capable passer, two things that the Celtics have need for in the rotation.
He makes a lot of money, is old, and doesn't elevate Boston's title chances.  Good way to hamstring future flexibility on a player that adds very little especially since he plays no defense.  There also aren't a ton of minutes available for him to play.  I just don't see the point.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 09:25:32 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown

I'm generally indifferent between the two, but I think Romeo would have a better chance of contributing on a team with Gordon than would Nesmith.  I also think Houston would prefer Nesmith because he's a year further from being eligible for free agency, and the summer of 2023 is when Houston might try to make a free agency splash (they could have double max salary room).

You mentioned the main point on why I'd prefer to see Romeo head out as a sweetener than Nesmith. That extra year of control is fairly significant, especially for two guys who obviously still need to develop and haven't hit their ceiling.

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 09:27:42 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown

He makes a lot of money, is old, and doesn't elevate Boston's title chances.  Good way to hamstring future flexibility on a player that adds very little especially since he plays no defense.  There also aren't a ton of minutes available for him to play.  I just don't see the point.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is suggesting to give up real assets for Gordon, but in this deal it's basically Horford for Gordon. Gordon is less old, less expensive, and arguably more productive than Horford at this stage of their careers. If you're getting Theis back too (who gives you probably 90% of what Horford does at this point), you can make the argument it's worth giving up one of our middling young guys.