Poll

What would be your top priority off-season for the starting 5?

A Point Guard
32 (88.9%)
A Power Forward
4 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Your top priority off-season (with a constraint)  (Read 8920 times)

Your top priority off-season (with a constraint)
« on: January 22, 2022, 06:56:40 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If you are Brad Stevens, how do you fix the starting 5? For the purpose of this poll the following constraint is imposed: The 2, 3 and 5 starting slots are fixed as follows:
1 - PG
2 - Jaylen Brown
3 - Jayson Tatum
4 - PF
5 - Rob Williiams III

Re: Your top priority off-season (with a constraint)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 06:59:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Best individual player 1 through 4.

We don't need a PF. Tatum can play there. Jaylen can play SG or SF. We can add anyone SG-SF-PF. Whoever is the best individual / works best as combination next to Jaylen & Tatum.

PG is the biggest positional need but we need stars not role players. If that star is a SG, SF or PF then that is the direction we go in and we fill the PG slot later. Stars is the priority.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 07:11:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Finding a capable lead playmaker who actually functions well within the offense and can be a useful piece for the near future would be the top priority.

But really if I were BS, I would accept that there is no quick fix, and the only real hope to get this thing turned around is to focus on being in the best possible position headed into the 2023-2024 season. That's jaylen's last year under contract before UFA.

I would approach the trade deadline and the upcoming off-season with that mindset. What is the vision for having a revamped, exciting roster that looks set up to be good for a while in time for fall 2023?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 07:55:04 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Best individual player 1 through 4.

We don't need a PF. Tatum can play there. Jaylen can play SG or SF. We can add anyone SG-SF-PF. Whoever is the best individual / works best as combination next to Jaylen & Tatum.

PG is the biggest positional need but we need stars not role players. If that star is a SG, SF or PF then that is the direction we go in and we fill the PG slot later. Stars is the priority.

One of the many reasons to keep the Jays. They're super easy to build around.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 07:59:05 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I don't care what position the player players but the Cs need a 3rd scoring option who can play off the ball. Brown and Tatum are very capable of playing along side any wing and sliding up for down a position on defense. Not fare fetched examples would be Hield or Gordon at SG or Barnes, Trent Jr or Brooks at Forward.

If they can add another scorer and abandon the two big lineups I think the team will look a lot better. Depending on the level of roster shake up they under take I would also like to a facilitating PG added to the roster. This is not easy as there are very few in the league. It might be worth looking into Rubio if he is healthy post ACL injury or Tyus Jones.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 08:01:44 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

A good PG would be a start.

Something needs to be done in a fairly timely manner.

I'm frightened to head into the 2023-24 season without a substantial plan in-place to drastically improve this team. That begins in the 2022-23 season. This coming summer.

The reason? JT is a free man, he can sign with any team he likes... and unless the Celtics look especially enticing in that final season, he'll be wearing the Purple and Gold. He'll say all the right things, and thank the fans in Boston, he'll always have a warm spot in his heart for the Celtics organization, blah blah blah, as he boards a plane heading to LA.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it were for less money too.   

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 08:02:44 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
New coach. Not even close. I’d like to see someone else with this group that understands how to run an offense and go from there.

Everyone keeps saying we need a pass first point guard and that will solve the problems with the offense. I don’t think adding one player, like a Ricky Rubio is going to move the needle any if we have the same coach implementing the same bad strategy game after game.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 08:46:08 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 08:13:45 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
A 1 or 5. Lean more the PG as Smart and Schro are probably gone. AL and Kanter may beven gone too but you at least have TL.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 08:21:39 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I was going to start a new thread, but I hate starting new threads. Anyway, what about Collin Sexton? He is obviously out this year with a torn meniscus, but he is a gifted scoring PG who has averaged 38% from 3pt throughout his career. He will need to be paid this offseason, but by trading for him now, we would be able to match any offer he receives.

I am not sure what we would need to give up, but it would seemingly be less than other upper tier 3rd star types. I saw this passage on Fansided (in link - no, I don't read Fansided) discussing the idea of Jaylen/G Williams for Sexton/Love/Markkanen/3 1sts/2 swaps/2 2nds. Obviously I hate to give up Jaylen - and this definitely wouldn't be my plan in Sexton trade - but that is a lot of draft compensation coming along with a young player at a position of need who averaged over 24ppg last season.

https://kingjamesgospel.com/2022/01/05/three-blockbuster-collin-sexton-trade-scenarios/3/

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 08:23:38 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

By all accounts Sexton is a beast, but something about a tiny scoring guard coming off an injury...we need to get talent in any way we can though.

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 08:26:48 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Jalen Brunson is a free agent after this season, right?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 08:27:08 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Get yourself a superstar player from the 2-5 spots, particularly a SF. Pick up a mediocre/decent PG and should be fine.

A superstar SF wins championships.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 08:32:40 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
Get yourself a superstar player from the 2-5 spots, particularly a SF. Pick up a mediocre/decent PG and should be fine.

A superstar SF wins championships.

Would you get a lesser SF, a fringe all star forward, to be a 2nd or 3rd banana behind Jaylen/Jayson?

I don't think overlapping "skill" hurts from wings. Because wings are so **** valuable.

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 08:57:23 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Jaylen Brown is not a shooting guard.

My top priority for the off-season? For the first time, I’m starting to seriously wonder whether the Cs should dismantle this team.

Here’s why: I have strong doubts that: a) Tatum can win a championship as a Top Dog, and b) Jaylen Brown can win a championship as a Second Fiddle. Some warts are starting to grow on both dudes, and yet the Cs don’t have the assets to get a guy to supercede them.

Reality’s a B.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 09:31:56 PM by todd_days_41 »

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2022, 09:33:37 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I was going to start a new thread, but I hate starting new threads. Anyway, what about Collin Sexton? He is obviously out this year with a torn meniscus, but he is a gifted scoring PG who has averaged 38% from 3pt throughout his career. He will need to be paid this offseason, but by trading for him now, we would be able to match any offer he receives.

I am not sure what we would need to give up, but it would seemingly be less than other upper tier 3rd star types. I saw this passage on Fansided (in link - no, I don't read Fansided) discussing the idea of Jaylen/G Williams for Sexton/Love/Markkanen/3 1sts/2 swaps/2 2nds. Obviously I hate to give up Jaylen - and this definitely wouldn't be my plan in Sexton trade - but that is a lot of draft compensation coming along with a young player at a position of need who averaged over 24ppg last season.

https://kingjamesgospel.com/2022/01/05/three-blockbuster-collin-sexton-trade-scenarios/3/

The fansided proposed deal would be a no go for me....

However Sexton is an interesting thought.

For the Cavs I wonder if he has more trade value at the deadline or as a S&T piece in the off-season?

For the Celtics I can't see BS trading a current rotational piece (say Smart alone /  Richardson and a pick/  or DS and a pick) for an injured player. Especially after just trading for two injured players. That clearly sends a message to the team that the tank is on and I really doubt that's what the Cs front office/owner ship is looking for.

As for Sexton the player I worry that he is actually less of a play maker then Schroder and will only further compound the teams current issues. A case can be made for adding Sexton and a connecting type 4 like K Anderson or J Ingles but I worry we would just end up with 3 players taking turns on offense rather then the current two.

Maybe the Pistons (share back-court with Cade) of the Pacers (share a back-court with Brogdon) will be willing to make a punt till next season trade for Sexton? I especially like this idea for the Pacers. With Sabonis going down if they can make a 3 team trade work where they move Turner and Levert and in the process keep their own pick but obtain Sexton they could really change the franchises trajectory.  Its a long shot but say they land the #1 pick and draft J Smith. Sabonis, Smith, Brogdan and Sexton in theory fit well together.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet