Author Topic: Why did we make the Kemba / Horford deal?  (Read 19815 times)

Why did we make the Kemba / Horford deal?
« on: January 22, 2022, 03:27:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There seem like two obvious reasons:

1.  The team wanted to open up max contract space.  Waiving and stretching Horford’s deal would have allowed that before resigning Smart, Richardson, Timelord, etc.; or

2.  Management thought the team was close to being competitive, and assumed that Horford could help us advance deep into the playoffs, moreso than Kemba would have.

Based upon subsequent moves, Option 1 wasn’t the plan.  Brad, et al, didn’t really believe in #2, did they?  If so, why’d we hire a rookie coach?

The more I watch this season, the more it looks like we gave up a #1 (Sengun) for no good reason at all.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Why did we make the Kemba / Horford deal?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 03:31:21 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Was Kemba (and his “situation”) just becoming such a distraction (a guy overestimating who he still believed he was) that the Cs felt it was simply necessary to wash their hands of him and move on?

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 03:39:42 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Wyc's wallet.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 03:44:42 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2403
If they don't use Horford's contract as either a trade chip to get a major star or as a cap saver to sign a major star in FA, then this deal was massive failure.

The price of losing that pick was far too high for what little basketball improvement Horford offers vs Kemba.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 03:45:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Was Kemba (and his “situation”) just becoming such a distraction (a guy overestimating who he still believed he was) that the Cs felt it was simply necessary to wash their hands of him and move on?

I don’t get that impression, but if so, I think you send him home for a year and then try to package him as an expiring next year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 03:48:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Sengun turns the ball over a lot and commits too many turnovers, but his ability to fill up a box score is impressive.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 03:59:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Sengun turns the ball over a lot and commits too many turnovers, but his ability to fill up a box score is impressive.
He's reminding me of Jusuf Nurkic if he was smaller. Tier below the truly elite passing big men (Jokic, Sabonis, prime Blake Griffin) but still very handy with that regard.

It really does look like we gave up a pick for nothing whatsoever. I would have taken Jalen Johnson personally, but either way it sucks. Horford and Kemba are both cooked.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 04:00:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think getting off Kemba’s contract was directive from ownership.

Brad’s other moves- J Rich signing and extension, Smart extension, Schroder signing - indicates Brad thought they could complete this year and bringing Al back was a net plus. Horford has been decent other than the decline in his 3 point stroke.

I think getting a coach who was ex player and African American and could relate to our two stars was how we ended up with Ime. What more experienced and successful coaches were available that meet that criteria? Carlisle? Donovan? Nyet.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 04:09:23 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Houston gave up 2 future 1sts for that Sengun pick. Imagine if we had two extra 1sts, along with a competent PG this season. I love Horford, but I didn’t like the trade when we made it and I hate it even more now. It was obviously all about money.

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 04:18:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
t was obviously all about money.

It’s just wild, if it’s solely about they money.  Big market, hugely profitable teams shouldn’t give up first rounders simply for savings.  Every move should be about improving the team.

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 04:18:55 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

It’s just wild, if it’s solely about they money.  Big market, hugely profitable teams shouldn’t give up first rounders simply for savings.  Every move should be about improving the team.

Agreed.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 04:23:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Wyc's cheapness combined with our confused direction (Are we trying to compete? Are we retooling? Are we trying to clear max space?) has really burnt this team

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 04:28:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Wyc's cheapness combined with our confused direction (Are we trying to compete? Are we retooling? Are we trying to clear max space?) has really burnt this team

Yep.

I at least understood the move to dump a #1 for max space (even if not enough to sign a guy like Beal outright.  But, the Smart and Richardson deals took that completely off the table, for no good reason. 

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 04:37:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yep.

I at least understood the move to dump a #1 for max space (even if not enough to sign a guy like Beal outright.  But, the Smart and Richardson deals took that completely off the table, for no good reason.
I am still horrified at the Smart extension. His defence has been better this season than last, but his shooting is as bad as it's been since 2017. Such a frustrating player.

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2022, 05:06:55 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Yep.

Don’t you think recent free agent signings has become  less about cap space and more about creating an attractive destiny? E.g. Heat and even the Bulls. Brad really thought Smart extension and Richardson extension created value otherwise why do it? Also Ime was pushing hard to establish defensive identity and probably endorsed both extensions.