Author Topic: Trade Schroder and J Rich Now  (Read 3445 times)

Re: Trade Schroder and J Rich Now
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 07:07:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Trading Schroder, J-Rich, Smart, and Horford -- that all makes sense. These guys are not part of the future, in all likelihood. We do need to replace them with guys who are better at spacing the floor and moving the ball.

Even doing that, though, won't solve one of the major problems with the offense. To do that, you need to find somebody to be the primary playmaker who is a clear upgrade over Schroder and Smart. 

I don't see a player like that out there who is realistically available for what the Celts have to offer (unless the Celts give up a core piece, which would be counter productive).

So yes, trade the vets. But it is probably going to require finding a talented guard in the draft who will hopefully be able to come along pretty quickly and become the dynamic playmaker this team desperately needs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2022, 10:02:24 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Last night’s Portland game reinforces my feeling that we should just dump J Rich and Schroder. It will probably improve our draft position, and help develop the asset value of our young players (either as rotation guys or trade chips). I agree with Pho Sita that the answer to point guard is probably through the draft. Am a big fan of Ty Ty Washington.

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 10:12:15 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Smart has no future on a team that has Rob Williams at center. We cannot carry two such limited scorers & jump-shooters in the starting lineup. It puts too much pressure on the other three guys.

I really wish they would get Williams in position to take a 10-15 foot shot or two each game and strongly encourage him to take them.  His form is not terrible, and I think he'd be pleasantly surprised with the results.  Even if he misses, it's important that he tries to develop that part of his game.
Yup

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 12:05:26 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Smart has no future on a team that has Rob Williams at center. We cannot carry two such limited scorers & jump-shooters in the starting lineup. It puts too much pressure on the other three guys.

Don’t blame Williams for Smart’s problems. Williams is our most efficient scorer, and still improving overall. Smart is our least efficient scorer (besides Tatum?), and will never improve.

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2022, 12:24:46 PM »

Offline soulman

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 21
I would trade everyone except Tatum, Brown and Rob Williams.
If I see Grant Williams and Enes Kanter in our roster again next year i ll go crazy. Cant believe we had huge amount of picks and we end up with this bad roster...

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2022, 02:56:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I really wish they would get Williams in position to take a 10-15 foot shot or two each game and strongly encourage him to take them.  His form is not terrible, and I think he'd be pleasantly surprised with the results.  Even if he misses, it's important that he tries to develop that part of his game.
I've definitely seen him drain those jumpshots before (I think under coach Stevens). Doesn't seem like anything Ime is interested in.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2022, 05:20:06 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I was thinking that depending on whether or not Dallas was going to resign Brunson they might be interested in Schroder and 1 or 2 seconds for Brunson.  Both teams can fit the players into TPEs so the salaries don't matter.

It's a lateral move contingent on Dallas's intentions to sign Brunson next year. If they don't plan on resigning him they get a replacement player with better size and a small draft asset or 2. The Celtics get a better passing PG, below the tax and Brunson's bird rights.

The Cs also get another 5m TPE and Dallas one for 1.2M.

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2022, 05:54:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Need to get rid of Smart , he is not worth his contract anymore , and all the rest of the brick layers . 

Just keep Brown , Rob , and Tatum ….and start ALL over …….I like a lot of the guys as good fellows , but they are not scoring regular buckets at all , they are not front line starters , lots of effort at times and not much to show for the forward movement of the team . Payton might be a decent 2-3 rd string guard one day .  Everybody else is a few good minutes here or there or every third or fifth game ……we have no consistent scoring from anybody but Brown and Tatum .  A bunch of backup role players . 

Wyc …has spent a ton of money on players that can’t compete every game at a high level.  I don’t see any NeW faces that are worth keeping .   All below average scorers.

Brown needs some help ,  he can’t carry the team like Bron did for year after year till he got Wade s help.  He ll give up.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 06:00:59 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2022, 06:07:41 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
Trade idea for Schroder and J Rich

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9m3kafn

Chicago sends us a first round pick preferably Portlands pick and we send out a second round pick. Chicago gets the depth they need to make a run and we open up opportunities for Nesmith and Romeo.
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2022, 06:22:13 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Chicago sends us a first round pick preferably Portlands pick and we send out a second round pick. Chicago gets the depth they need to make a run and we open up opportunities for Nesmith and Romeo.
so send out 2 NBA rotation-level players for 2 duds so we can play a couple of young guys who haven't playing time yet (though Romeo's game is really picking up lately)?  not a good reason for a trade.

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2022, 06:35:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

so send out 2 NBA rotation-level players for 2 duds so we can play a couple of young guys who haven't playing time yet (though Romeo's game is really picking up lately)?  not a good reason for a trade.
I mean, we save salary as they're both expirings, we get a FRP (mentioned in the post, ESPN trade machine doesn't allow for picks to be exchanged), and Jones Jr. is a solid 10th man kinda player. If we got a 1st it wouldn't be the worst idea.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2022, 06:41:53 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

I've definitely seen him drain those jumpshots before (I think under coach Stevens). Doesn't seem like anything Ime is interested in.

Williams is progressing very nicely. Maybe their simple moving step by step. The next one in 22-23 may be more offensive responsibility.

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2022, 06:49:46 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I mean, we save salary as they're both expirings, we get a FRP (mentioned in the post, ESPN trade machine doesn't allow for picks to be exchanged), and Jones Jr. is a solid 10th man kinda player. If we got a 1st it wouldn't be the worst idea.

If we got a 1st for J-Rich and Schroder without taking back long term contracts, I'd be doing backflips!!

That is an excellent deal.

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2022, 06:58:02 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

If we got a 1st for J-Rich and Schroder without taking back long term contracts, I'd be doing backflips!!

That is an excellent deal.

JRich should be worth something; he’s on a reasonable deal for another year, and he can offer a rotation player to a team ready for a deep run.

One catch with that Portland pick - it’s top-14 protected. So it wouldn’t convey next year and it might be a long wait for it. And that’s for a pick in the 2d half of the first round.

I hope we can do better.

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2022, 07:00:25 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I wouldn’t be surprised to see TL shooting those next year.