Author Topic: Warriors’ Co-Owner: I Don’t Care About Concentration Camps, Forced Labor  (Read 6920 times)

Re: Warriors’ Owner: I Don’t Care About Concentration Camps, Forced Labor
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2022, 04:39:51 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
Yikes:

Golden State Warriors owner Chamath Palihapitiya suggested recently that “nobody cares” about China’s system of concentration camps, forced labor, and high-tech surveillance against the Uyghur community in Xinjiang.

“Nobody cares about what’s happening to the Uyghurs, okay,” Palihapitiya said during an appearance on the All-In podcast. “You bring it up because you care and I think it’s nice that you care. The rest of us don’t care. I’m just telling you a very hard, ugly truth. Of all the things that I care about, yes, it is below my line.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nba-team-owner-nobody-cares-181126794.html

Sad, but not shocking.

Not many voices in the NBA like Daryl Morley’s. He cares.

Bron Bron, Silver, this owner and the deafening silence from so many who aggressively advocate for rights here? All hypocrites!

Yeah.  He went on to talk about caring about worldwide human rights as a “luxury belief”.

I’m not big on intervention in foreign affairs, but I think stopping genocides should be at the top of everyone’s agenda.  Thank God we stopped Nazi Germany, but if they’d just stopped at annexing some Eastern European countries and killing all those Jews, would there have been a World War?  Or was that a “luxury belief” until Western Europe was attacked?  How did we sit by and watch what happened in Rwanda?

I don't know why we sat and watched Rwanda, but equally don't know why we sat and watched Hitler all but take over the world.  How much longer would we have waited if Japan hadn't ushered us in on December 7, 1941? We knew about Hitler, his plan for the "final solution", and how he was taking Europe by storm... but it was unpopular in the US to get involved before we were attacked.

Maybe the "hard truth" the Warriors owner spoke of is actually the truth.  People don't care.

Goes both ways.   Our involvement in WWI was possibly the worst decision in the history of mankind.  It could be argued that the results of Germany losing directly and indirectly led to WWII, the 3 worst rulers in history (Hitler, Stalin and Mao) killing 100million citizens and spreading vile communism across the globe, Vietnam and Korea wars.  Something to think about.   

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
There is tremendous social and economic inequity in the world, staggering really, when you consider the difference between this guy who is a part owner of an NBA team and the Uyghur people, persecuted and living in extreme poverty, fighting to feed their children every day.  He probably figures he worked hard and earned everything he has so those without are not his problem.

I really don't know where the balance point is regarding caring about those less fortunate and being realistic that there really is nothing you as an individual can do.  But to say out loud what this guy did is pretty pathetic. 

There always have been and always will be "haves and have nots" in the world.  Economically, I am a mere fraction of what Chamath Palihapitiya is but compared to the Uyghur people, I live like a king (as do pretty much everyone who frequents this board).

I don't expect Chamath Palihapitiya to give all his money to the poor, to be like Mother Teresa, but he shouldn't be callous about it either.  Inequality is an issue for the world and for the US.  The "haves" should care about the "have nots" more than they collective do but all the caring in the world isn't going to solve the problem.

Expecting there to be no inequity is unrealistic and not necessarily good for the world either.  But how much inequity is too much?  What is a just and fair amount of inequity?  Tough questions.

Good questions.  It's a matter of opinion of course but in country where there is a good deal of wealth like America and many people are living in relative luxury (like you and me) compared to the rest of the world, I think discussions of inequity starts with what a person should have access to at bare minimum.  Relates of course to the minimum wage discussion.  I definitely think Americans should have access to nutritious food, healthcare, education, shelter, justice, a safe neighborhood, and a job (if able).  Beyond that, I believe mainly in capitalism and I don't care if there is a large discrepancy between very wealthy and those who are getting by, as long as getting by means access to the aforementioned items.  There shouldn't be hungry, homeless, sick (uncared for mentally or physically), unprotected, unemployed people in America unless they are adults and choose to be (if capable to make that choice).  Of course a lot of bad situations will occur, but start by caring and work to minimize these issues. Conservatives and Progressives have different solutions but both should care and seek similar outcomes where the health and welfare of Americans is concerned. 

And I agree that inequities are inevitable, but the first step to addressing them is giving a hoot.  This guy may help a lot of people but yeah pretty sloppy statement if he really does have a heart.

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
maybe the US could set a better example and stop exporting Billions of Dollars of Weapons and Spyware to regimes like Saudi Arabia that behead "witches", no joke. I care more for this than what a minority owner of a Basketball franchise does.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
What is somewhat hilarious about Chamath Palihapitiya‘a statement is that he is a Sri Lankan REFUGEE, who’s parents immigrated to Canada.

The only reason he’s able to co-own the Golden State Warriors is because someone cared about his family’s plight.

Are you sure someone cared, or they found a way to get out of dodge.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What is somewhat hilarious about Chamath Palihapitiya‘a statement is that he is a Sri Lankan REFUGEE, who’s parents immigrated to Canada.

The only reason he’s able to co-own the Golden State Warriors is because someone cared about his family’s plight.

Somebody cared, because they offered his family asylum / refugee status.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
There is tremendous social and economic inequity in the world, staggering really, when you consider the difference between this guy who is a part owner of an NBA team and the Uyghur people, persecuted and living in extreme poverty, fighting to feed their children every day.  He probably figures he worked hard and earned everything he has so those without are not his problem.

I really don't know where the balance point is regarding caring about those less fortunate and being realistic that there really is nothing you as an individual can do.  But to say out loud what this guy did is pretty pathetic. 

There always have been and always will be "haves and have nots" in the world.  Economically, I am a mere fraction of what Chamath Palihapitiya is but compared to the Uyghur people, I live like a king (as do pretty much everyone who frequents this board).

I don't expect Chamath Palihapitiya to give all his money to the poor, to be like Mother Teresa, but he shouldn't be callous about it either.  Inequality is an issue for the world and for the US.  The "haves" should care about the "have nots" more than they collective do but all the caring in the world isn't going to solve the problem.

Expecting there to be no inequity is unrealistic and not necessarily good for the world either.  But how much inequity is too much?  What is a just and fair amount of inequity?  Tough questions.

So who do you side with here, the podcasters on the show that proclaim to care while they amass billions of dollars, or Chamath that admits that people like them (the four podcasters on that show) don’t really care. There is no two ways about it, the truth is the reason you have extremely poor people is because you have extremely and obscenely rich people.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Good questions.  It's a matter of opinion of course but in country where there is a good deal of wealth like America and many people are living in relative luxury (like you and me) compared to the rest of the world, I think discussions of inequity starts with what a person should have access to at bare minimum.  Relates of course to the minimum wage discussion.  I definitely think Americans should have access to nutritious food, healthcare, education, shelter, justice, a safe neighborhood, and a job (if able).  Beyond that, I believe mainly in capitalism and I don't care if there is a large discrepancy between very wealthy and those who are getting by, as long as getting by means access to the aforementioned items.  There shouldn't be hungry, homeless, sick (uncared for mentally or physically), unprotected, unemployed people in America unless they are adults and choose to be (if capable to make that choice).  Of course a lot of bad situations will occur, but start by caring and work to minimize these issues. Conservatives and Progressives have different solutions but both should care and seek similar outcomes where the health and welfare of Americans is concerned. 

And I agree that inequities are inevitable, but the first step to addressing them is giving a hoot.  This guy may help a lot of people but yeah pretty sloppy statement if he really does have a heart.

I think part of his comment is that there's misery around us and little is being done about it, to start looking and pointing fingers at our neighbors and what they're doing wrong if there's unwillingness to right the things that are wrong in our immediacy. And that simply saying "I care" about it, is not enough... it's pretty much the same as not caring if no action is taken, empty words.

He simply has other things to give priority to, but just the same I think it was incredibly poor remark.

That said, he brings up a good point in what does actually "caring" means, from his POV at least. Just the same, I don't think any individual person should be the champion of all our world wide ills.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Somebody cared, because they offered his family asylum / refugee status.

Asylum is way to assuage the guilt from policies that create the abject poverty in foreign lands. I am leaning towards Chamath on this one. If nothing else his take sparks more conversation than that of Jason, who says he cares while he drinks a $30,000.00 bottle of wine.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
This guy is one of the things that is wrong with the world.  He's part of the donor class that exerts major influence on the political class, who in turn pays back that donor class.

And what's on the agenda of the donor class?  Making more money.  It's not about making the world a better place, it's about maximizing profits while exploiting others.  It's why so many people have become cynical.  Climate change, coronovirus, education, national defense:  it's all about lining pockets, while taking advantage of voters who actually think they care about doing the right thing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
This guy is one of the things that is wrong with the world.  He's part of the donor class that exerts major influence on the political class, who in turn pays back that donor class.

And what's on the agenda of the donor class?  Making more money.  It's not about making the world a better place, it's about maximizing profits while exploiting others.  It's why so many people have become cynical.  Climate change, coronovirus, education, national defense:  it's all about lining pockets, while taking advantage of voters who actually think they care about doing the right thing.

Agreed, but why criticize him for his moment of honesty. I am new to that podcast, and my take on it is how these billionaires openly discuss what folks like that do with their obscene wealth. For people who wonder why folks need to amass billions watch the podcast.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Agreed, but why criticize him for his moment of honesty. I am new to that podcast, and my take on it is how these billionaires openly discuss what folks like that do with their obscene wealth. For people who wonder why folks need to amass billions watch the podcast.

I criticize him because he's a horrific person with horrific morals.  He and the 2,300 people in the world who are richer than him actually have the opportunity to make life better for people.  He just couldn't give a crap about it.

You and I, there's not a lot we can do to actually significantly change the world.  Our voices rarely matter.  But billionaires with a giant platform?  Yeah, they can get attention.  They instead use their influence to make things worse.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
there is a lot of ugliness that goes on in different parts of the world by people and governments we embrace and align with. If we really cared we would do something.

What for instance ?

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
there is a lot of ugliness that goes on in different parts of the world by people and governments we embrace and align with. If we really cared we would do something.

What for instance ?

put human rights across the globe above everything else, and I mean everything else. Stop looking the other way when govts abuse their people, or in some cases kill their people just because we seek some economic advantage. Too often we look away and do business with despots and autocratic governments for pecuniary and political reasons.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

I criticize him because he's a horrific person with horrific morals.  He and the 2,300 people in the world who are richer than him actually have the opportunity to make life better for people.  He just couldn't give a crap about it.

You and I, there's not a lot we can do to actually significantly change the world.  Our voices rarely matter.  But billionaires with a giant platform?  Yeah, they can get attention.  They instead use their influence to make things worse.

You should criticize the system that enables that type of wealth accumulation and the billionaire class, not his moment of honesty that ‘they really do not care’.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

You should criticize the system that enables that type of wealth accumulation and the billionaire class, not his moment of honesty that ‘they really do not care’.

I’m pretty sure I can criticize both.

Our tax code is messed up beyond recognition.  That doesn’t mean those who exploit that system can’t further be criticized for condoning slave labor, torture and even genocide.