Author Topic: Pacers - Cost for Lavert or Turner  (Read 1968 times)

Pacers - Cost for Lavert or Turner
« on: January 17, 2022, 10:44:43 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
The cost doesn't seem prohibitive for the C's to add either player.  Lavert is a good scorer but poor 3pt shooter.  I still think if the Cs wanted Turner he'd already be on the team.

According to Michael Scotto of Hoops Hype, the Pacers have made it clear what they are expecting as part of the trade package involving Myles Turner. Scotto said:

"The Pacers are seeking two first-round picks or a promising young player and a first-round pick in exchange for Myles Turner, the NBA’s top shot blocker, league sources told HoopsHype."
Not only that, the Indiana Pacers are also willing to listen to trade talks for Caris LeVert and have outlined their demands for him as well. Scotto continued:

"Indiana’s asking price for Caris LeVert is a first-round pick and a good young player, league sources told HoopsHype."

Re: Pacers - Cost for Lavert or Turner
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 10:53:54 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Turner is not needed here with Timelord playing much better overall than Turner in similar minutes. Williams will also be on an incredibly valuable bargain contract for the next 4 years, especially if he continues to stay healthy and gives the team 30-32 MPG every night.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 10:59:04 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Yeah, Turner is a no-go for me.  Lavert I'd be interested in, because I think you can get him pretty cheap, and he would be a third scorer threat for us.  He's a bit of a ball hog, but may change his style if he wants to play along side the Jays.  He is a talented guy who went through some tough physical challenges.

Edit: He had 9 assists in most recent game vs Suns.  Gives me hope!!

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 11:06:27 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Not really interested in either.  Like Nick said, we already have Williams who is the better player with more upside.  Other than shotblocking I don't really see what's exciting about Turner.  Maybe it's just me but Turner seems to have a pretty lethargic game unless there is a shot to be blocked.

Indiana is asking too much for Levert.  It's his 6th year in the league and he's only played in more than 57 games once in his career.  His passing is nice but he's too inconsistent with his shooting and he always has reasons why he never puts it all together.  I would never want to rely on a guy who plays in 40 games every year to be a core piece.

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 11:09:12 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I like Levert and the asking price is reasonable , but he doesn't fill a need or fix any of our current issues.

Turner, as everyone said, Rob Williams is much better, and Turner wants to start, so no.

On a related note, this means the market value for Rob should be pretty high right now.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 11:25:17 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
LeVert when healthy averages about 20 points a game, is 6'6"/7", can handle the ball, and would probably open things up more for Jaylen and Jayson. Really just as good a fit as Beal, just not as prolific, but certainly seems like could be had for very reasonable compensation. The reported asking price is just what they are asking, not what they likely will receive.  Dude crushed us for 50 points not long ago.

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 11:28:38 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I don't understand how the Pacers value their players that highly.  If they were good enough to warrant those sort of trade packages wouldn't their team be better? Carlisle is a good coach and he's probably lifted them to a few extra wins.  That means the talent is worse than their record reflects.

If Schroder is worth a second or 2 on an expiring, why is Turner, who is overpaid worth 2 firsts? Last year Turner's contract was viewed as so negative an asset that they offered to attach a first in order to get off it in a sign and trade for Hayward. The Cs refused that offer meaning they wanted more than a 1st to absorb the contract.

What's changed about his play that would make him have positive value other than 1 less year on the contract?

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 11:31:15 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
I don't understand how the Pacers value their players that highly.  If they were good enough to warrant those sort of trade packages wouldn't their team be better? Carlisle is a good coach and he's probably lifted them to a few extra wins.  That means the talent is worse than their record reflects.

If Schroder is worth a second or 2 on an expiring, why is Turner, who is overpaid worth 2 firsts? Last year Turner's contract was viewed as so negative an asset that they offered to attach a first in order to get off it in a sign and trade for Hayward. The Cs refused that offer meaning they wanted more than a 1st to absorb the contract.

What's changed about his play that would make him have positive value other than 1 less year on the contract?

It's their asking price. No team in their right mind would pay them that.   (Of course that is what Blazers paid to get Covington, SMH).

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 11:42:14 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Wow, so 2 first for Turner and 2 firsts for Levert; total 4 firsts?  No way.  They should talk to Philly though and see if they can get Simmons for Turner and LeVert.  Their contract total $35M, matches up with Simmons.  If they can convince Philly that Turner and LeVert are both the equivalent of 2 firsts, then Philly can believe they got 4-firsts worth of value for Simmons.

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 12:31:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I like Turner more than Rob Williams. I'd like to find a way to make that happen. It would be complicated though.

I prefer Turner to Rob Williams because Turner is a two way player.

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 12:50:04 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Can we start Timelord at PF and Turner at C? Twin-tower blocking machine, reminds me of the Gasol/Bynum twin tower.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 12:56:32 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

It's their asking price. No team in their right mind would pay them that.   (Of course that is what Blazers paid to get Covington, SMH).

Pacer just setting the bar high to start, neither player will actually warrant the reported value.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 01:17:36 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I like Turner more than Rob Williams. I'd like to find a way to make that happen. It would be complicated though.

I prefer Turner to Rob Williams because Turner is a two way player.
I don't think Turner is all that advanced from Williams other than the fact that he can stand at the 3 point line and hit them around 33%.  Turner averages 12 points every year and Williams is at 10 ppg and is rapidly improving.

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 01:37:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Can we start Timelord at PF and Turner at C? Twin-tower blocking machine, reminds me of the Gasol/Bynum twin tower.

Turner and Sabonis doesn't work, Turner and Williams would be even worse.

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2022, 01:40:46 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Neither player is worth all of that.  If the C's really wanted Turner he'd be a Celtic already.  If Lavert was an option to play PG I'd consider it.  He can definitely take scoring load off of the J's.  His shooting is down but he's missed a lot of time because of I believe Kidney Cancer.  I went through the same thing.  Went to the ER for one thing and came out with Kidney Cancer.  They found it because I went in for something else and it ended up stage 1 early onset or they never would have caught it that early.  He's not a knock down shooter but he's a legit scorer who can hit the mid range and get to the hoop.  I like Lavert and he's a good fallback if something else doesn't materialize.