Author Topic: What could we get for three unprotected firsts and two swaps?  (Read 5851 times)

Re: What could we get for three unprotected firsts and two swaps?
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2022, 10:48:21 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Do we have to trade Schroeder at the deadline?  Or can we trade his rights during the offseason?

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2022, 10:50:16 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Do we have to trade Schroeder at the deadline?  Or can we trade his rights during the offseason?

His rights are near useless in the off-season, because they are worth less than the MLE.

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2022, 10:51:43 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Imagine having Jaylen Jaylen and Jalen.

All we need then is Green Green and Green.

Who's the other Jaylen? Or do you mean Jayson

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2022, 11:49:35 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9muq825

OK this trade is going to look crazy, but hear me out.  This plus the Celtics and Pistons giving good picks to the Jazz would long term be huge for all 3 teams.

Cade is ahead of schedule, the Jazz will never win a title let alone a second round playoff game and the Celtics need an All Star point guard.

This would let the Jazz shed salary, tank and get two good young players.  Cade, their lotto pick this year and Gobert would be great and they'd be able to add more pieces.  A Tatum and Mitchell combo with Brown as 3rd banana and a rotation of Timelord, Smart, Kanter, Grant, KO and Hernangomez is....not bad right? 

Am I crazy?  Also this is 100% an overreaction to the Pistons Jazz game that just happened lol

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2022, 12:01:52 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

OK this trade is going to look crazy, but hear me out.  This plus the Celtics and Pistons giving good picks to the Jazz would long term be huge for all 3 teams.

Cade is ahead of schedule, the Jazz will never win a title let alone a second round playoff game and the Celtics need an All Star point guard.

This would let the Jazz shed salary, tank and get two good young players.  Cade, their lotto pick this year and Gobert would be great and they'd be able to add more pieces.  A Tatum and Mitchell combo with Brown as 3rd banana and a rotation of Timelord, Smart, Kanter, Grant, KO and Hernangomez is....not bad right? 

Am I crazy?  Also this is 100% an overreaction to the Pistons Jazz game that just happened lol

I’m not trying to be a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline., but what Utah gives up and gets back is literally the worst trade I’ve ever seen on this site. That is not hyperbole.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2022, 12:16:04 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker

I’m not trying to be a Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again., but what Utah gives up and gets back is literally the worst trade I’ve ever seen on this site. That is not hyperbole.

Haha yeah I meant like the Celtics and Pistons each give like 3 unprotected firsts and even then it wouldn'thappen.  But man they should do something like this.  Theyre going to get the worst player in the draft for the next three years and get upset by a non title team like 6 more times and then have nothing to show for it.  It's just so pointless

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2022, 12:37:36 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Bradley Beal if he forces his way out of Washington.

Those picks + Schröder + Horford gets it done.

Then you get Tatum and Beal in a room together, tell them it’s their team, and ask them whether they want Brown being the three guy or if they want him moved for another player or players. Then we roll. Maybe Dame tells Portland it’s Boston or Bust, and we’re able to flip Brown, Smart and Langford for Lillard:

Lillard/Ring-chasing vet/Pritchard
Beal/Ring-chasing vet
Richardson/Ring-chasing vet/Nesmith
Tatum/G. Williams
Timelord/Kanter

Good enough to win it all? Probably.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 12:43:16 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2022, 12:57:44 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
It's not 5 picks/swaps but would definitely do 2 picks and a swap for Brogdon or Jalen Brunson in a sign and trade.
How good is Jalen Brunson?

I am happy with him as a solid starting PG. Maybe a top 20 PG. Do you think is fair? Do you think he is better than that?

I see him more as solid and dependable than something special.
I think he has room to grow and his game is stifled a bunch by playing alongside Doncic. I think he will become a top level floor general and I think his leadership and toughness are qualities that would shine here in Boston alongside the Jays.

I've preferred a more swing for the fences approach of going all-in a big time star like Lillard to make a Big Three ... but if that were unavailable, going after two more pieces that are quasi-stars or low-level stars (below All-Star level but clearly very impactful) is my second choice.

So the question I found myself asking myself is "Is Jalen Brunson a quasi-star?" and initially I was quite against the idea of that but after reading your post and sleeping on it overnight, I'm onboard. I think you're right - that there is more there in Brunson if he got away from Doncic. I have enough confidence in that to trade 2 first rounders (and a swap if needed) to get him here in a sign and trade.

I like this idea. It's more of a step-by-step building like the Raptors did when Masai Ujiri joined them before finding the home run move with Kawhi. Just add good quality players who can be long term pieces.

I am less keen on Brogdon because of his injury proneness.

Edit
: I like the chances of Brunson being a top 15 PG maybe becoming a top 10 PG. That is worth betting on. He is a guy worth betting on.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:13:16 PM by Who »

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2022, 01:29:54 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
It's not 5 picks/swaps but would definitely do 2 picks and a swap for Brogdon or Jalen Brunson in a sign and trade.

I like Jalen Brunson plenty, but that is way too high for a sign-and-trade for a starter quality player with some upside, but not a huge amount of upside.  He's not old, but he's the same age as Brown, so he's probably nearing the peak of his development curve.  He's an unrestricted free agent who could sign with teams other than the Mavs, so they won't have a terrible amount of leverage if his asking price is higher than they want to pay.  Significant picks only get sent if his salary is greater than the Fournier TPE, meaning the Mavs would have to take on salary to help facilitate.  If the C's just use the TPE, the cost is no more than a second, because the Mavs wouldn't have to take on any salary and would get a TPE of their own anyway.

I should mention that Jalen Brunson with the Fournier TPE next summer has been one of my top hopeful outcomes for that TPE.  I do think there's a reasonable chance he walks, as the Mavs could have a large tax bill if they resign him (they'd likely wind up $10-15 million over the tax line with largely the same roster that has been a second or third-tier team in the West the past two seasons).

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2022, 01:56:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I like Jalen Brunson plenty, but that is way too high for a sign-and-trade for a starter quality player with some upside, but not a huge amount of upside.  He's not old, but he's the same age as Brown, so he's probably nearing the peak of his development curve.  He's an unrestricted free agent who could sign with teams other than the Mavs, so they won't have a terrible amount of leverage if his asking price is higher than they want to pay.  Significant picks only get sent if his salary is greater than the Fournier TPE, meaning the Mavs would have to take on salary to help facilitate.  If the C's just use the TPE, the cost is no more than a second, because the Mavs wouldn't have to take on any salary and would get a TPE of their own anyway.

I should mention that Jalen Brunson with the Fournier TPE next summer has been one of my top hopeful outcomes for that TPE.  I do think there's a reasonable chance he walks, as the Mavs could have a large tax bill if they resign him (they'd likely wind up $10-15 million over the tax line with largely the same roster that has been a second or third-tier team in the West the past two seasons).

That would be pretty sweet. Especially if we could make another deal with our other picks for a good forward or two guard.

G: Brunson
G/F: Jaylen
F: Tatum
C: Rob Williams

Add that fifth piece in there. A combo forward like Harrison Barnes or Jerami Grant. In a dream world a combo guard like Tyrese Haliburton but he is likely too expensive. Buddy Hield could be get-able.

That would make a really strong starting five. It is not quite Championship caliber but it is close. Maybe dependent on the Jays development. Or on creating a top notch bench and hoping for a good dose of luck in a playoff run.

It would be a dangerous team though. A real tough out. Capable of long playoff runs year in year out.

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2022, 02:15:24 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Great video on Jalen Brunson (6min)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOEFz4V9d14

Jalen Brunson has averaged 17.0 points, 7.7 assists and 5.2 rebounds in 6 games without Luka Doncic this season.

Jalen Brunson has averaged 16.2 points, 6.2 assists and 3.4 rebounds in 41 games without Luka Doncic in his career.

According to Statmuse

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2022, 04:03:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Great video on Jalen Brunson (6min)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOEFz4V9d14

Jalen Brunson has averaged 17.0 points, 7.7 assists and 5.2 rebounds in 6 games without Luka Doncic this season.

Jalen Brunson has averaged 16.2 points, 6.2 assists and 3.4 rebounds in 41 games without Luka Doncic in his career.

According to Statmuse
I love Jalen Brunson. I think Dallas loves him too, but he's legit.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)