Author Topic: January 20th Trade Ideas  (Read 9452 times)

Re: January 20th Trade Ideas
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2022, 10:07:45 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I wonder whether some version of the following could be done?

Cs trade: Smart, Richardson, Nesmith, 2 seconds
Cs receive: Brunson, Hield

Mavs trade: Brunson, Powell
Mavs receive: Smart, Len (or James), 2nd round pick

Kings trade: Hield, Len (or James)
Kings receive: Richardson, Powell, Nesmith, 2nd round pick

For this deal to work, the Kings have to see Nesmith as a talented player glued to the bench behind veterans (not a guy who can’t crack the rotation). I’m also presuming the Cs can get a top-half-of-the-2nd-round-pick for Schroder, then send it to the Kings in the deal at 2:59pm on Feb 10th.

So we would have:

G: J.Brunson
G: B.Hield
F: Jaylen
F: Tatum
C: Rob Williams

That is a dang good basketball team. That is a darkhorse contender.

If you had a strong bench, that could be a contender. Let's see, who is still here for our bench - Horford, Schroder, Grant Williams & Romeo. The backup wing slot is suspect. The others could work.

I would love to watch that team. 4 legit offensive players around Rob Williams. That is what he needs. Like Utah tries to do with Gobert. That is the type of team we need to maximize a guy like Rob Williams.

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2022, 10:46:18 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

For this deal to work, the Kings have to see Nesmith as a talented player glued to the bench behind veterans (not a guy who can’t crack the rotation). I’m also presuming the Cs can get a top-half-of-the-2nd-round-pick for Schroder, then send it to the Kings in the deal at 2:59pm on Feb 10th.

So we would have:

If you had a strong bench, that could be a contender. Let's see, who is still here for our bench - Horford, Schroder, Grant Williams & Romeo. The backup wing slot is suspect. The others could work.

I would love to watch that team. 4 legit offensive players around Rob Williams. That is what he needs. Like Utah tries to do with Gobert. That is the type of team we need to maximize a guy like Rob Williams.
that's not a contender.  not even a dark horse contender.  those starters should be a better offensive unit than what we have by a clear margin but that backcourt will get torched defensively.  add in the fact you traded away our 2 top backcourt defenders you won't be able to sub in a good defender either. 

move Shroder instead of Richardson and that may be a bit more palatable since JRich is a good defender that can come in for Hield and still be able to put up some points.  would really rely on Pritchard to improve his D too.

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2022, 11:45:08 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

So we would have:

that's not a contender.  not even a dark horse contender.  those starters should be a better offensive unit than what we have by a clear margin but that backcourt will get torched defensively.  add in the fact you traded away our 2 top backcourt defenders you won't be able to sub in a good defender either. 

move Shroder instead of Richardson and that may be a bit more palatable since JRich is a good defender that can come in for Hield and still be able to put up some points.  would really rely on Pritchard to improve his D too.

Don't see the deal working with Schroder in it.

And torched more than being a .500 team for the better part of two seasons with two all-stars? You have to give to get. Time for Langford to step up and be a plus defender at the 2 off the bench. And / or trade or sign a rangy defender at the end of the bench for situational duty on 1s and 2s.

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2022, 01:50:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

So we would have:

And torched more than being a .500 team for the better part of two seasons with two all-stars? You have to give to get. Time for Langford to step up and be a plus defender at the 2 off the bench. And / or trade or sign a rangy defender at the end of the bench for situational duty on 1s and 2s.
didn't work out the figures but my preference is to deal Shroder if possible.

Romeo HAS stepped up his D.  been a very solid, if not very good, defender all season.  his D isn't the issue.  it's been his offense but that's been coming around as the season progresses.  I have no issues with Romeo except I'd like to see a little more aggression on offense. 

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2022, 02:20:05 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

So we would have:

didn't work out the figures but my preference is to deal Shroder if possible.

Romeo HAS stepped up his D.  been a very solid, if not very good, defender all season.  his D isn't the issue.  it's been his offense but that's been coming around as the season progresses.  I have no issues with Romeo except I'd like to see a little more aggression on offense.

Great. So our backcourt won't get torched if he's such a good defender off the bench. This trade gives the Cs better offensive options, which means Langford's lack-there-of is less of an issue.

Re: Schroder, the figures are a more minor issue. I just don't think he has much value to either the Kings or Mavs on an expiring, non-Bird rights deal. Richardson is of greater value under (reasonable) contract to a team like the Kings -- who struggles to sign good veteran players.

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2022, 02:23:47 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

So we would have:

Who ~~ I dunno if I think that's a "darkhorse contender" The Cs still lack a Top 5 player (or anything close to it), which tends to be requisite of a real contender. BUT -- that team is clearly improved and better balanced, presuming guys like Langford and Pritchard can actually perform with a little bigger roles.

They'd def be a tough out for the Bucks or Nets.

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2022, 04:09:23 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

So we would have:

Who ~~ I dunno if I think that's a "darkhorse contender" The Cs still lack a Top 5 player (or anything close to it), which tends to be requisite of a real contender. BUT -- that team is clearly improved and better balanced, presuming guys like Langford and Pritchard can actually perform with a little bigger roles.

If you can't get a top-5 player (and by definition, only 5 teams or less have them), then you need 3 top-15 players.  That team has 2, at most, depending on how you feel about JB.

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2022, 04:42:40 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

So we would have:

If you can't get a top-5 player (and by definition, only 5 teams or less have them), then you need 3 top-15 players.  That team has 2, at most, depending on how you feel about JB.

If you can't get a Top 5 player, 99% chance you're not winning a championship. I can't think of a team that's had 3 truly in the Top 15 in recent years (I think the 2008 Cs were a very unusual team), but if we're giving a little leeway there....

....we have 1 you could argue makes that cut. Jaylen Brown is not a top 15 player in the NBA -- not all that close in my opinion.

Either way, my point is true: Would a team of Brunson, Hield, Brown, Tatum, and Williams, with G Williams, Horford, Langford, and Pritchard coming off the bench win a championship? Nope. Would it be a step forward as they continue to look for the right combination around Tatum and Brown? I think so. Would they be a tough out for the two top teams in the East? I think so.

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2022, 05:37:06 PM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
It hurts me to say this, but I would think about trading Brown for Haliburton, Barnes and their 2022 first round pick.

I feel like both teams look more balanced going forward.

Celtics
Haliburton/Smart/Tatum/Barnes/Timelord

Kings
Fox/Hield/Brown/Bagley/Holmes
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 03:14:26 AM by DrJasper »
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2022, 03:15:37 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
It hurts me to say this, but I would think about trading Brown for Haliburton, Barnes and their 2022 first round pick.

Celtics

Kings

Oh man perfect timing for that :D But I still like haliburtons potential...
Memphis Grizzlies
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2022, 05:27:37 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Celtics

Kings
Haliburton isn't explosive enough to consistently beat his opponent 1-on-1, hence he cannot consistently create his own shot. The way I see it, he's better suited as a low-usage, pass-first role player. No way I'd trade Brown for a package centered around a role player.

I bet the Kings believe Haliburton has all-star potential. If he fails to meet the Kings' (unrealistic?) expectations, he may become available on the cheap going forward. His value is sky high right now. I would argue he's overrated, although I absolutely love his game.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 05:33:56 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2022, 07:13:43 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Celtics

Kings
Haliburton isn't explosive enough to consistently beat his opponent 1-on-1, hence he cannot consistently create his own shot. The way I see it, he's better suited as a low-usage, pass-first role player. No way I'd trade Brown for a package centered around a role player.

I bet the Kings believe Haliburton has all-star potential. If he fails to meet the Kings' (unrealistic?) expectations, he may become available on the cheap going forward. His value is sky high right now. I would argue he's overrated, although I absolutely love his game.
Scal said something interesting during last night's game: He heard that the Kings are not inclined to trade any of their guys, that they like them and want to see if they can make it work.  You do have to admit that they've got some talented pieces (Fox, Barnes, Hield, D. Mitchell) and should be performing better.  I think that's all hot air; I believe Sac has to do something to keep their fans interested,

But after last night, NO WAY I would trade Brown for Haliburton, Barnes and their 2022 first round pick.

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2022, 07:19:30 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
You're both right.. After last nights game it sounds like a terrible idea to me too...  ;D buuut.. If the kings pick is top 4 I'd consider it again!
Memphis Grizzlies

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2022, 09:13:38 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
Why's this turn into a discussion on Haliburton? Pretty sure we're not getting him for Smart.

Anyone else have compelling Smart trade ideas?

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2022, 09:58:48 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Celtics

Kings
and you SHOULD feel lots of pain for such a bad deal -- not even taking into account the awful play of Sac's entire roster last night.