Author Topic: Search for a new point guard  (Read 14409 times)

Re: Search for a new point guard
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2022, 01:51:11 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I wouldn’t mind Schroeder as a starter & Pritchard as a backup.. go get a legit BIG & some vets for the bench

Problem is we can't keep Schroder. There's really no way we can re-sign him without getting rid of key players.

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2022, 01:55:12 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Lonzo Ball would be great fit here..Fox would be a good cheap option..Murray of Spurs will get a big contract from them but live have him
What does that mean? What is cheap? What type of trade package do you think it'll take to get Fox?

Could the Cs get Fox without giving up Tatum, Brown or Williams III? I think not.

I have been coming around on Fox being the guy. Here is a speculative article (not rumor) that outlines 3 potential trades: https://sportsnaut.com/sacramento-kings-deaaron-fox-trade-destinations/amp/

Smart + Nesmith + (2) 1st round picks (which seems like a little overpay but I would co-sign)

The Kings are never taking that deal.

For those high on Fox, have a look at this Ringer article - the sixth story is about Fox. He can’t shoot from outside (Smart-level 3-PT shooting - 32% career, 25%! this year); he’s bad at running pick and roll (36th percentile league wide - for comparison, Halliburton sits at 86th percentile when he runs pnr); and his scoring depends on him holding the ball a long time and looking for his lane to the basket. When he sat out in covid protocols and they gave Halliburton the keys to the offense, suddenly there was passing and ball movement.

If you don’t like the Cs’ your-turn, my-turn, iso-heavy offense, Fox probably is not your guy.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/12/27/22855126/russell-westbrook-luka-doncic-devin-booker-nba-observations

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2022, 01:57:31 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I'm a fan of Jalen Brunson and like his fit with this roster. He is likely not a future all star but he has won at every level and first and foremost this roster needs a leader and a winner. I agree with an earlier post that we need a grizzled vet...if that vet isn't available Bronson send to have those qualities. Plus he gets into the lane, creates offense and pressures the defense with scoops and crazy spin moves. He can hit set 3s and pull up on the break. A lot of what we're looking for. I'm not an advanced stats guy so I'd be curious what his looked like if anyone could offer analysis that would be great.

My assumption is that as a UFA this summer he'd be reasonably priced for a starting pg. I'd assume he'll be looking for a better situation than playing back up to Luca and that may motivate Dallas try to get value for him at the deadline.

I could see a move like Schroder, Hemangomez and our 22 FRP OR prospect they like (Nesmith, Langford). I know some here hate this but part of benefit for Boston is getting under the tax line this season and there would be a cost for Dallas taking back salary. Or maybe if we want to move on from Smart to change team dynamics something like Brunson, Bullock and FRP for Smart, Hermangomez could make sense

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2022, 01:59:40 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I wonder if in the 2022 offseason, this hypothetical trade would solve our point guard issues:

Celtics: Kyle Lowry, Duncan Robinson, PJ Tucker

Heat: Al Horford, Marcus Smart

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Celtics

Williams III
Tatum
Brown
Robinson
Lowry

Richardson, Prichard, Williams, (FA centre), Tucker, Langford, Nesmith, Hernangomez,

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

It is strange that although our team looks much more balanced here, it somehow feels like the Heat would win this trade.
no more old PGs or players who are 32 or older

We would be swapping a 35 & 27 year old for a 35 & 27 year old.

Like Horford, Lowry’s game isn’t predicated on speed or athleticism, so his age isn’t too much of an issue.

Perhaps Lowry is the leader that Tatum & Brown finally listen to.

Would I like that trade? Sure. Is it even slightly realistic? No.

Any trade that sees Pat Riley improving the Celtics is just completely unrealistic.

This trade would be in the 2022 off-season, so this would be predicated on the notion that Miami struggled in the playoffs. I think Riley wouldn’t care about improving the Celtics if it meant Miami winning a championship.

Adebayo
Horford
Butler
Herro
Smart

The Heat would have the most talented front-court in the NBA, and perhaps the best defence too.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2022, 04:52:45 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I wonder if in the 2022 offseason, this hypothetical trade would solve our point guard issues:

Celtics: Kyle Lowry, Duncan Robinson, PJ Tucker

Heat: Al Horford, Marcus Smart

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Celtics

Williams III
Tatum
Brown
Robinson
Lowry

Richardson, Prichard, Williams, (FA centre), Tucker, Langford, Nesmith, Hernangomez,

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

It is strange that although our team looks much more balanced here, it somehow feels like the Heat would win this trade.
no more old PGs or players who are 32 or older

We would be swapping a 35 & 27 year old for a 35 & 27 year old.

Like Horford, Lowry’s game isn’t predicated on speed or athleticism, so his age isn’t too much of an issue.

Perhaps Lowry is the leader that Tatum & Brown finally listen to.

Would I like that trade? Sure. Is it even slightly realistic? No.

Any trade that sees Pat Riley improving the Celtics is just completely unrealistic.

This trade would be in the 2022 off-season, so this would be predicated on the notion that Miami struggled in the playoffs. I think Riley wouldn’t care about improving the Celtics if it meant Miami winning a championship.

Adebayo
Horford
Butler
Herro
Smart

The Heat would have the most talented front-court in the NBA, and perhaps the best defence too.

Then doesn’t it defeat the purpose? We help the Heat compete as we are acquiring a 35 year old point guard to compete currently also? This wouldn’t be a long term play.

I just don’t think this is a realistic outcome…

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2022, 07:54:21 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I watch the same games, look at the same stats, but I just don't come to the conclusion that the problem with the Celtics is the PG position.  From a +/- standpoint, we actually do pretty well with Smart as the PG.  The primary line up of Smart, Brown, Tatum, Horford, RWill is +34 on the season in 87 minutes.  Then behind Smart, we have Schroder and Pritchard.

People seem to be responding to the lack of ball movement that is symptomatic with this team and feel a different or better PG would fix this.  I am not so sure that is the case.  Ball movement starts with players moving without the ball which is something that is schemed or coached.

My latest theory is that because we have a new coach who it putting in new systems, that this has been impeded by the fact that with so many COVID absences, the core team has not been consistently available so that this is making it hard on the team and the coach to get the schemes working.  Or maybe Ime is just not that good of a coach, I don't know.  For now, I still give him the benefit of the doubt and my preference is that if the Celtics do make a trade, that it is for a PF.

Re: Search for a new young point guard
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2022, 08:10:41 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This team needs a veteran, playoff hardened floor general, not a new, young shiny PG that has barely sniffed a playoff game. They need a floor general that commands respect from the Jays.

While I agree, that’s a difficult role to fill.  CP3, Lowry, Conley.  Those guys aren’t moving.  Rubio just got hurt and Rondo just moved to replace him (and I don’t know what kind of relationship he has with Stevens, given how he left Boston). 

Maybe we could call Toronto about Vanvleet?  That’s about as close as I can think of to that skillset and veteran clout (only 27, but a champion) while possibly being obtainable.
I would consider an injured Rubio, if that's even possible.  I think J-Rich and Juancho does it, though I love that Richardson is bringing right now.

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2022, 08:17:11 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I watch the same games, look at the same stats, but I just don't come to the conclusion that the problem with the Celtics is the PG position.  From a +/- standpoint, we actually do pretty well with Smart as the PG.  The primary line up of Smart, Brown, Tatum, Horford, RWill is +34 on the season in 87 minutes.  Then behind Smart, we have Schroder and Pritchard.

People seem to be responding to the lack of ball movement that is symptomatic with this team and feel a different or better PG would fix this.  I am not so sure that is the case.  Ball movement starts with players moving without the ball which is something that is schemed or coached.

My latest theory is that because we have a new coach who it putting in new systems, that this has been impeded by the fact that with so many COVID absences, the core team has not been consistently available so that this is making it hard on the team and the coach to get the schemes working.  Or maybe Ime is just not that good of a coach, I don't know.  For now, I still give him the benefit of the doubt and my preference is that if the Celtics do make a trade, that it is for a PF.

I completely agree that the team's offensive sets call for minimal actions and cutting. But I would also point out that the team typically has acceptable movement for 3 quarters, then stagnates in the 4th. There is also no commitment to pushing in transition by any of our point guards.

It is fair to question the coaching here but we need someone who makes good decisions and promotes the right flow out there, particularly in the 4th.

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2022, 09:09:33 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Lonzo Ball would be great fit here..Fox would be a good cheap option..Murray of Spurs will get a big contract from them but live have him
What does that mean? What is cheap? What type of trade package do you think it'll take to get Fox?

Could the Cs get Fox without giving up Tatum, Brown or Williams III? I think not.

I have been coming around on Fox being the guy. Here is a speculative article (not rumor) that outlines 3 potential trades: https://sportsnaut.com/sacramento-kings-deaaron-fox-trade-destinations/amp/

Smart + Nesmith + (2) 1st round picks (which seems like a little overpay but I would co-sign)

The Kings are never taking that deal.

For those high on Fox, have a look at this Ringer article - the sixth story is about Fox. He can’t shoot from outside (Smart-level 3-PT shooting - 32% career, 25%! this year); he’s bad at running pick and roll (36th percentile league wide - for comparison, Halliburton sits at 86th percentile when he runs pnr); and his scoring depends on him holding the ball a long time and looking for his lane to the basket. When he sat out in covid protocols and they gave Halliburton the keys to the offense, suddenly there was passing and ball movement.

If you don’t like the Cs’ your-turn, my-turn, iso-heavy offense, Fox probably is not your guy.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/12/27/22855126/russell-westbrook-luka-doncic-devin-booker-nba-observations

I’m not advocating for Fox. Frankly, he scares the **** outta me. I’m Just pointing out the Kings aren’t taking Smart and junk for him. 

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2022, 10:27:23 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Not really a guy who could get us over the hump but I think Markelle Fultz could be a nice project. He was slowly getting into a groove last year before getting injured. Orlando now has Anthony, Suggs, and Hampton. Maybe Fultz is available for cheap?

« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2022, 11:48:16 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Not really a guy who could get us over the hump but I think Markelle Fultz could be a nice project. He was slowly getting into a groove last year before getting injured. Orlando now has Anthony, Suggs, and Hampton. Maybe Fultz is available for cheap?

Fultz ($16.5M) would fit in the Fournier TPE ($17.1M) but really?  I am not sure I would want him even for a second round pick.  We already have a log jam at Guard/Combo Guard.  Where does he help our roster?

Re: Search for a new young point guard
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2022, 11:57:42 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This team needs a veteran, playoff hardened floor general, not a new, young shiny PG that has barely sniffed a playoff game. They need a floor general that commands respect from the Jays.

They really need a time machine so as to acquire Kyle Lowry or Goran Dragic from like 4-5 years ago.

Unfortunately I can't think of any player in the league right now in that 28-33 age range who fits the bill.

That leaves you looking at lesser talents (e.g. Rubio, though he is currently and often hurt), or guys who don't exactly fit the bill (e.g. CJ McCollum).

Of course, there's Damian Lillard, but the cost would be way too high on him, both in terms of a trade and in terms of the cap (using $45-50 million on a guard in his mid-30s is no bueno).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2022, 12:08:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Good outside the box idea.

« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2022, 12:27:04 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

Good outside the box idea.

I posted a Cole Anthony trade idea yesterday, and it had me looking at Fultz. Sounds like he's about to be back from his torn ACL.

I'm not sure I (or Jason Tatum) has the stomach for a Fultz project. That said, if ORL believes he'll be back at full strength, would they trade Anthony? I don't overvalue who Anthony is, but really like the way he plays -- guy's competitive as heck, plays with pace, and is a WAY better rebounder than he should be.

The Magic need so many things at this point.... would they consider a multi-piece deal for him?

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2022, 01:24:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Not a fan of Fultz. His jump-shot is still too dodgy, too limited. The amount of progress he was showing on his jumper was too low to be bullish on his future prospects. Not good. His inability to threaten defenses with his jump-shot off the dribble limited his driving ability (self creation) and playmaking. His inability to shoot spot up shots from the perimeter negatively impact his team's spacing. A bad offensive player.

He was playing at about the rate of a middle of the pack backup PG before he got hurt (largely due to his defense & rebounding rather than his subpar offense). Now you throw a serious injury on top of that. Not good.

Overpaid as well. Not good.

Not good at all.