Author Topic: Search for a new point guard  (Read 14420 times)

Re: Search for a new point guard
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2022, 07:18:01 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'd rather have Smart than most of the options mentioned thus far.

Agreed that the C's need a pass-first player. He doesn't necessarily have to be a PG. He doesn't have to be a star either. For instance, I'd love us to go after a Point Forward like Hayward, Kyle Anderson or Joe Ingles.

A few words on some of the players mentioned in the thread.

• Haliburton: Perfect fit, unrealistic target. Imo, he's overrated right now.
  • DLo: Love his passing. Underrated team defender. Fwiw, Minny's defensive rating is 116 with DLo on the bench and 103 with him on the floor (=top 5 mark in the league). Is he attainable for a reasonable price? If yes, I'd go after him.
  • Garland: Only way we can realistically acquire him is if we sacrifice Brown. For instance, Brown for Garland+Jarrett Allen. I'd pass on that deal, although it would probably make us a better team in the short term.
  • Westbrook: I bet the Lakers are willing to dump him. I absolutely hate his game, but I wouldn't be totally against trading for him either. For instance, Horford+JRich+Juancho for Westbrick+Monk+Ariza+LAL 2027 unprotected first. His contract becomes an expiring in a few months' time.
  • Tyus Jones: Low-usage, pass-first player. Love the fit on the offensive side of the ball. Wonder if we can swap Schroder+filler for him.
  • Quickley: Score-first combo guard. Explosive. Long wingspan relative to his height. Intriguing potential as an on-ball defender. Very promising shooter. In a vacuum, color me intrigued. That said, I don't like the fit on the C's.
  • FVV: Highly doubt we can pry him away from the Raps for a reasonable price. In any case, I don't like the fit. He's a score-first player. Fwiw, the advanced stats absolutely love his game!
  • Simmons: He'd be my #1 target. I don't think Philly wants to deal with us unless we include Brown in the deal.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 07:43:50 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2022, 07:19:33 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Agreed that the C's need a pass-first player. He doesn't necessarily have to be a PG. He doesn't have to be a star either. For instance, I'd love us to go after a Point Forward like Hayward, Kyle Anderson or Joe Ingles.

• DLo: Love his passing. Underrated team defender. Fwiw, Minny's defensive rating is 116 with DLo on the bench and 103 with him on the floor which is a top 5 mark in the league. Is he attainable for a reasonable price? If yes, I'd go after him.
  • Garland: Only way we can acquire him is if we sacrifice Brown. For instance, Brown for Garland+Jarrett Allen. I'd pass on that deal, although it would probably make us a better team in the short term.
  • Westbrook: I bet the Lakers are willing to dump him. I absolutely hate his game, but I wouldn't be totally against trading for him either. For instance, Horford+JRich+Juancho for Westbrick+Monk+Ariza+LAL 2027 unprotected first. His contract becomes an expiring in a few months' time.
  • Tyus Jones: Low-usage, pass-first player. Love the fit. Wonder if we can swap Schroder+filler for him.
  • Quickley: Score-first combo guard. Explosive. Long wingspan relative to his height. Intriguing potential as an on-ball defender. Very promising shooter. In a vacuum, color me intrigued. That said, I don't like the fit on the C's.
  • FVV: Highly doubt we can pry him away from the Raps for a reasonable price. In any case, I don't like the fit. He's a score-first player. Fwiw, the advanced stats absolutely love his game!
  • Simmons: Love the fit. He'd be my #1 target. I don't think Philly wants to deal with us unless we include Brown in the deal.

Ingles has been struggling this season and is getting up there in age. We might be able to get him at a reasonable cost. He would be a very nice fit, and we can sure use his shooting.

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2022, 07:24:09 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Surprised not to see John Wall on this list. Yes he has many injuries and is currently sitting out as a result of mutual agreement with Rockets management, but he is also a 5x All Star with career averages of 21ppg and 7apg.

I like a bundle for him and perhaps Christian Wood or perhaps a 3rd team willing to give up a young up and comer in exchange for us taking on Wall’s $47m salary next year.

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2022, 07:27:44 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Surprised not to see John Wall on this list. Yes he has many injuries and is currently sitting out as a result of mutual agreement with Rockets management, but he is also a 5x All Star with career averages of 21ppg and 7apg.

I like a bundle for him and perhaps Christian Wood or perhaps a 3rd team willing to give up a young up and comer in exchange for us taking on Wall’s $47m salary next year.

That 47 million salary is an absolute killer.

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2022, 07:29:50 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

• DLo: Love his passing. Underrated team defender. Fwiw, Minny's defensive rating is 116 with DLo on the bench and 103 with him on the floor which is a top 5 mark in the league. Is he attainable for a reasonable price? If yes, I'd go after him.
  • Garland: Only way we can acquire him is if we sacrifice Brown. For instance, Brown for Garland+Jarrett Allen. I'd pass on that deal, although it would probably make us a better team in the short term.
  • Tyus Jones: Low-usage, pass-first player. Love the fit. Wonder if we can swap Schroder+filler for him.
  • Simmons: Love the fit. He'd be my #1 target. I don't think Philly wants to deal with us unless we include Brown in the deal.

Ingles has been struggling this season and is getting up there in age. We might be able to get him at a reasonable cost. He would be a very nice fit, and we can sure use his shooting.
Not sure whether he's actually available, but some Jazz fans are willing to move on from him. Apparently, his D isn't what it used to be anymore. If the price is right, I'd love us to go after him.

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2022, 07:31:19 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

That 47 million salary is an absolute killer.

His game is a killer. I want no part of him.

(1) He is a ball-hog that over-dribbles all game long.

(2) He is a shot happy selfish scoring guard with below average scoring efficiency.

(3) And he can't shoot remotely well enough to take even half as many jump-shots as he actually takes.

(4) Oh, and he stopped trying on defense several years ago.

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2022, 08:45:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
About Dejounte Murray

I am not sure how good he is. The 18-8-8-2 stat line is tremendous but I don't think he gets those offensive numbers on a good team. His TS% is 49.6% which is close to his career average of 50.4%. He is too inefficient of a scorer to have the ball in his hands as much as he does in San Antonio (mediocre roster full of role players) as he would on a star-laden team that has hopes of going far in the playoffs. Not only would his ppg numbers drop but so too would his assists.

I love his defense & his guard rebounding. I believe he adds a lot of value there.

Offensively though ... he adds value with his speed and pushing tempo, some value from drives against broken defenses, but not much from the point of attack / initiator / driver against set defenses and he is a negative floor spacer due to his dodgy jump-shot.

I believe you'd be paying a high dollar price for a low value product if you tried trading for him now.

4 years in - just not enough offensive improvement in his shooting or scoring to justify giving up a huge trade offer for.

Re: Search for a new young point guard
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2022, 08:50:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Is below remotely realistic? Smart and Richardson aren't trade eligible yet. While the Raptors would probably look to trade Siakam as well if they trade VanVleet.

4 1st round picks for two non-All Stars (this year) is bad. We aren't in the same spot Milwaukee was when giving up a ton for Holiday.

I want to re-frame this a bit. It is giving up 4 1st round picks for 2  Jrue Holidays.

I'd put Siakam on a par with Jrue and VanVleet close by. Both guys are young and can be long term fixtures next to the Jays while competing for Championships for the next 5-8 years.

That is well worth giving up 4 1st round picks for.

Yes, we are not in the same place as Milwaukee pre-trade; a team that is one piece away from winning a title. But post-trade, Boston would be a team that could challenge for a title for several years to come.

G: VanVleet, Pritchard
G: Jaylen, Smart, Mykhailiuk
F: Tatum, Josh Richardson
F: Siakam, Grant Williams
C: Rob Williams, (free agent), Enes Kanter

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2022, 11:36:27 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
D. Murray and Lillard are the guys to target. Yes, it means letting go of Brown, but the .500 Binkie will soon be forgotten when we’re back in the ECF…

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2022, 12:06:19 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

• DLo: Love his passing. Underrated team defender. Fwiw, Minny's defensive rating is 116 with DLo on the bench and 103 with him on the floor (=top 5 mark in the league). Is he attainable for a reasonable price? If yes, I'd go after him.
  • Garland: Only way we can realistically acquire him is if we sacrifice Brown. For instance, Brown for Garland+Jarrett Allen. I'd pass on that deal, although it would probably make us a better team in the short term.
  • Tyus Jones: Low-usage, pass-first player. Love the fit on the offensive side of the ball. Wonder if we can swap Schroder+filler for him.
  • Simmons: He'd be my #1 target. I don't think Philly wants to deal with us unless we include Brown in the deal.

I would trade brown for garland and Allen. I feel I am the only one on the board paying any attention to the Cavs this year. Both those guys have legitimate chances of making the all star team this year.

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2022, 03:25:34 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Not really a hot take here, but Payton Pritch seems to be improving his defense rapidly, and of course, he is an elite shooter, his court vision is probably a net minus though...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2022, 05:09:32 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I wonder if in the 2022 offseason, this hypothetical trade would solve our point guard issues:

Celtics: Kyle Lowry, Duncan Robinson, PJ Tucker

Heat: Al Horford, Marcus Smart

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Celtics

Williams III
Tatum
Brown
Robinson
Lowry

Richardson, Prichard, Williams, (FA centre), Tucker, Langford, Nesmith, Hernangomez,

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

It is strange that although our team looks much more balanced here, it somehow feels like the Heat would win this trade.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 06:14:26 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2022, 05:55:24 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
The problem with many of us fans (me included) is that (outside of draft season) we often want to trade for guys who have already arrived, and thus their price tags will be high. I think to land someone at a reasonable price tag, FO has to scour lesser names who might become a big deal in the right environment.

Anyway, that aside, I would welcome Ben Simmons here, altho the jury is out if he wants to win. He’d probably cost us Brown, which would be an awfully difficult trade to trigger! I think if we can get Simmons+1st for Brown+filler, I’d be convinced to do it.

For bargain bin players, I’d keep an eye on John Wall. I forget his contract status but assuming he only has 1 year left on his contract starting next offseason, it wouldn’t be crazy for him to ask for a buyout. I think the C’s should make a play for him, despite his shooting woes. C’s would desperately need shooters tho, but that’s another problem

« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 06:20:18 AM by LilRip »
- LilRip

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2022, 06:29:25 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
I would try to get Dejounte Murray and maybe some Pick in exchange for Jaylen Brown. Absolutely love his defense, and I cant forget how he destroyed the celtics in the clutch last time they played. Also his contract is around 16 million per season which would give us a realistic chance to create enough cap space to sign Bradley Beal (probably have to trade smart into cap space..)

But a Team of Murray, Beal, Tatum and Robert Williams has a lot of potential in my eyes!
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2022, 08:53:13 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I wonder if in the 2022 offseason, this hypothetical trade would solve our point guard issues:

Celtics: Kyle Lowry, Duncan Robinson, PJ Tucker

Heat: Al Horford, Marcus Smart

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Celtics

Williams III
Tatum
Brown
Robinson
Lowry

Richardson, Prichard, Williams, (FA centre), Tucker, Langford, Nesmith, Hernangomez,

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

It is strange that although our team looks much more balanced here, it somehow feels like the Heat would win this trade.
no more old PGs or players who are 32 or older
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin