Author Topic: Search for a new point guard  (Read 14413 times)

Re: Search for a new point guard
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2022, 02:59:08 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Relying on the draft to provide a starting PG for a team looking to be title contender is a losing proposition.

It is essential that the PG be an excellent decision maker, ball handler, and defend his position well.

I continue to bang the drums for Fred VanVleet and Jalen Brunson. FVV is perfect for this team and JB brings similar skills except he is cheaper. It’s preferable if we can make either move only trading draft capital and matching salary.

For this to result into a title winning team, Ime has to be a better HC and Tatum and Brown have to become top 20 stalwarts.

How much do we think Jalen Brunson will cost?

I am thinking $20+ million per year. Maybe $22-23 million per. Plus it'll take a sign and trade with some assets heading back to Dallas.

The most the C’s can give Brunson will be around 4 years, $74 million.  This is via the TPE.  The Mavs will have trouble taking back matching salaries because of the base-year compensation rule (his outgoing salary counts as half his incoming salary).  Furthermore, the Mavs will be up against the tax line next summer so their appetite for taking on unwanted salaries will be limited.  They could send out some additional unwanted salaries of their own to the C’s to help the numbers work, but the C’s would be hard capped by a S&T, so that’s unlikely to happen also.

I also think your numbers are a bit high.  FVV had shown a little bit more in his four years prior to his big deal.  I think a 4-year, $74 million would be a pretty fair deal on both sides.  And with the Mavs current salaries, I also think it higher than they’d be willing to go, so I’m crossing my fingers that’s how July plays out.

« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2022, 09:50:28 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85
Other guards with questionable star potential:

Jalen Brunson (25, Dallas)
Tyus Jones (25, Memphis)
Davion Mitchell (23, Sacramento)
Kevin Huerter (23, Atlanta)
Jordan Poole (22, Golden State)
Immanuel Quickley (22, New York)
Anfernee Simons (22, Portland)
Kevin Porter Jr. (21, Houston)
Jalen Suggs (20, Orlando)
Killian Hayes (20, Detroit)
RJ Hampton (20, Orlando)
Josh Giddey (19, OKC)

Who are your target(s)? Who might be available for a reasonable price?
Which player is flying under the radar? Who is the perfect fit?
What's the realistic price for your targets/options?

EDIT: Just saw the post above this with answers to my questions!  Thanks Celtics2021!

The Knicks are supposedly thirsty for Jalen Brunson.  How much is Cuban willing to overpay to keep a Doncic favorite?

4 years / $80MM seems to be the starting point.

Would anyone offer him 4 yrs / $90MM?
Would anyone offer him 5 yrs / $100MM?

How high would the C's be able to go based on our potential to get under the cap and/or use TPE's and/or sign-and-trades?

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2022/01/16/knicks-reportedly-very-interested-in-jalen-brunson-they-want-him-bad/#:~:text=Brunson%20will%20not%20sign%20an,unrestricted%20free%20agent%20next%20summer.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 10:54:04 AM by No Nickname »

« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2022, 06:47:14 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

To Celtics: Jakob Poeltl + Derrick White + Walker IV (salary filler)
To Spurs: Al Horford + Romeo Langford + '22 1st + '24 1st + 2 second rounders

Who says no?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 07:10:25 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2022, 07:38:53 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468

Who says no?

Man sign me up for Derrick white.  He's the one I want badly.  He'd be such a good fit.  Haven't seen any reports the spurs are looking to deal him.  But man if the cs could get him it would be awesome.

« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2022, 09:15:36 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Who says no?

Man sign me up for Derrick white.  He's the one I want badly.  He'd be such a good fit.  Haven't seen any reports the spurs are looking to deal him.  But man if the cs could get him it would be awesome.

As nice as White may be, if I'm giving up Horford, Romeo and firsts (and seconds) I want something back with more punch...

« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2022, 09:48:36 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Who says no?

As nice as White may be, if I'm giving up Horford, Romeo and firsts (and seconds) I want something back with more punch...
i just looked over white's stats, this season and career. I agree with wiley, that it seems a lot give up for white.

career wise the stats are not bad, but not great. this and and last season he seems to have improved, made a jump and increased his scoring and assists. good.

but nothing there jumps out as white being all that good. could someone tell me what the stats are not showing for him?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2022, 10:06:54 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468

Who says no?

i just looked over white's stats, this season and career. I agree with wiley, that it seems a lot give up for white.

career wise the stats are not bad, but not great. this and and last season he seems to have improved, made a jump and increased his scoring and assists. good.

but nothing there jumps out as white being all that good. could someone tell me what the stats are not showing for him?

Check his stats without Murray in the lineup.  When he's the main PG he's really good.  Great length and size at the PG.  At the 2 he's decent but much better if he was at the 1. 

« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2022, 10:11:09 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
The fascination with Derrick White is beyond me. It smacks of fan impatience.

Is he an upgrade over Smart? No -- he's another combo guard with some defensive chops. If we're going to trade for a PG, how about we trade for an actual PG?

And who wants to look at that goofy hair & "tamer" combo all the time?