Author Topic: Search for a new point guard  (Read 14403 times)

Search for a new point guard
« on: January 01, 2022, 03:12:09 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Let's say we take the long road and stay patient. We have a new inexperienced coach and a ton of young players who could still improve. Aside from shooting, it's playmaking that's a weakness for this team. So a trade to add another young potential star in the form of a point guard wouldn't be illogical. Now the problem with that is that most teams who have that type of player are not looking to move him. But nonetheless we can discuss possibilities.
With young we can set the boundary at the age of 25 (not older than Brown). A list:

Point guards:

D'Angelo Russell (25, Minnesota)
Dejounte Murray (25, San Antonio)
De'Aaron Fox (24, Sacramento)
Lonzo Ball (24, Chicago)
Jamal Murray (24, Denver)

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (23, OKC)
Trae Young (23, Atlanta)
Ja Morant (22, Memphis)
Luka Doncic (22, Dallas)
Collin Sexton (22, Cleveland)

Tyrese Maxey (21, Philadelphia)
Cole Anthony (21, Orlando)
Darius Garland (21, Cleveland)
LaMelo Ball (20, Charlotte)

Combo guards (not necessarily primary playmakers):

Ben Simmons (25, Philadelphia)
Devin Booker (25, Phoenix)
Donovan Mitchell (25, Utah)
De'Anthony Melton (23, Memphis)

Tyler Herro (21, Miami)
Tyrese Haliburton (21, Sacramento)
Cade Cunningham (20, Detroit)
Anthony Edwards (20, Minnesota)

Other guards with questionable star potential:

Jalen Brunson (25, Dallas)
Tyus Jones (25, Memphis)
Davion Mitchell (23, Sacramento)
Kevin Huerter (23, Atlanta)
Jordan Poole (22, Golden State)
Immanuel Quickley (22, New York)
Anfernee Simons (22, Portland)
Kevin Porter Jr. (21, Houston)
Jalen Suggs (20, Orlando)
Killian Hayes (20, Detroit)
RJ Hampton (20, Orlando)
Josh Giddey (19, OKC)

Who are your target(s)? Who might be available for a reasonable price?
Which player is flying under the radar? Who is the perfect fit?
What's the realistic price for your targets/options?

I believe there's a possibility to make this thread a broad discussion on a solution for our point guard situation until we bring Isaiah Thomas back or Payton Pritchard turns out to be the guy already in our midst ;).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 05:52:40 PM by RodyTur10 »

Re: Search for a new young point guard
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 03:23:25 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I think we need a pass first PG who can knockdown the open 3. Lonzo Ball would have been a great fit but I don't see the Bulls letting him go now. I actually think Pritchard can handle that role next season and going forward.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 03:48:58 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
If I was the Celtics front office, I would be looking to get Killian Hayes on the cheap.

Hayes has had a terrible first few years but considering the environment he’s been in, it’s understandable. He has been terrible shooting the ball, but that can be taught. What can’t be taught is vision and playmaking, and Hayes has demonstrated tonnes of elite potential in those areas.

Dennis Schroder would be a great starting guard next to Cade Cunningham as they compliment each other tremendously. Detroit is also one of the few teams that could re-sign him to long term deal. It would take more than just Schroder to get that deal done, perhaps a protected first rounder and a role player.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 03:53:21 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Because I dismiss Doncic, Morant, Young and LaMelo Ball as trade options (teams won't even pick up the phone), and I want a true point guard and not a combo guard who may not be comfortable as play initiator in the half court I'm looking at three guys.

Nr 1: Darius Garland. Now the Cavs probably won't let him go, but if there's a way I'd be willing to pay a hefty price. I think he's going to be an All Star one day and only just starting to blossom. He's a good ball handler and passer, can mix up his game, can play off others and really shoot the basketball.

Nr 2: D'Angelo Russell. I know he's not the most popular name. Golden State arguably won that trade with a landslide for Wiggins and #7 (Kuminga). However I have always liked Russell. He's a clutch shot maker and able to excel in the half court. His playmaking is probably better than he gets credit for.

Nr 3: De'Aaron Fox. Now here's a classic buy low opportunity. The guy has a terrible year. The Kings are deep at the guard position, so despite Fox being the current face of the franchise I can see them looking around. Fox is explosive and could push the pace to the liking of for example Brown and Timelord. His shooting is a weakness. Could he improve his 3-point-shot and defense in a new environment?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 04:02:14 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 04:12:14 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
What about Shai? Struggle here is that if the Thunder are in asset collection, then Shai's contact and product is one of the best assets in the league. If he was 3-4 years older, the Thunder might be willing to trade him to gain assets. I think Shai would be a great fit next to the Js, but I just don't think they trade him.

Truth is that it is the same for most of those players.

You listed a bunch of combo/guards because in this scenario, we need another playmaker/guard. Truthfully, Both Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum have as much if not more upside as a playmaker than any of those players.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 04:13:20 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
The problem with young star guards is that they cost a lot more to acquire than old ones. The Celtics don't have enough in the trade coffers to get a young star without giving up Jaylen Brown.

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 04:16:05 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Second problem is most of these young guards are not ready to lead on a winning team. Even most of the more established ones are not steady enough to put the Celtics over the top. And the less established ones are years away from being even able to contribute.

If we want to compete for a title in the next couple of years we need an older more mature ready-to-play-on-a-title-contender right now guard.

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 04:17:48 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
This post brings me back to my 2020 draft projections. I was high on Maxey and Anthony based on my belief that their ceilings where high enough to be legit starters at the leagues deepest position. I reviewed Pritchard as an NBA level player who lacked the physical talent to be a starter in the league. While Payton has made me a fan of his game and showed that he is talented enough to be a rotational player on a good team I still have my doubts that he will ever be an NBA starter.

This goes back to my draft strategy/logic that unless a PGs physical tools give him a starter/fringe Allstar projection he really isn’t worth a 1sr rd pick. Teams are better of gambling on wings and waiting till 2nd round or free agency for backup points.

This past draft this logic was why I rated Jaden Springer so high.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 04:22:31 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
Because I dismiss Doncic, Morant, Young and LaMelo Ball as trade options (teams won't even pick up the phone), and I want a true point guard and not a combo guard who may not be comfortable as play initiator in the half court I'm looking at three guys.

Nr 1: Darius Garland. Now the Cavs probably won't let him go, but if there's a way I'd be willing to pay a hefty price. I think he's going to be an All Star one day and only just starting to blossom. He's a good ball handler and passer, can mix up his game, can play off others and really shoot the basketball.

Nr 2: D'Angelo Russell. I know he's not the most popular name. Golden State arguably won that trade with a landslide for Wiggins and #7 (Kuminga). However I have always liked Russell. He's a clutch shot maker and able to excel in the half court. His playmaking is probably better than he gets credit for.

Nr 3: De'Aaron Fox. Now here's a classic buy low opportunity. The guy has a terrible year. The Kings are deep at the guard position, so despite Fox being the current face of the franchise I can see them looking around. Fox is explosive and could push the pace to the liking of for example Brown and Timelord. His shooting is a weakness. Could he improve his 3-point-shot and defense in a new environment?

I think Celtics are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

They need a pure point guard but there aren’t any elite talents available and the ones that are, seem to be deficient in areas the Celtics already struggle.

Garland would currently be viewed as untouchable by the Cavs front office. Sexton would be available but he’s a player we don’t need.

Russell shouldn’t even be an option for the Celtics. He’s about to be 26 so he’s no longer ‘young’. His contract alone is almost a non-starter but you also factor in his poor shooting habits, terrible defence and hero-ball mentality and you see why he’s got a bad name.

Fox would have to be an overpay to get him to Boston considering he was not available in any Simmons trade discussions. Fox has actually regressed the last few seasons, he’s a poor jump shooter, poor defender because of his weak frame and is a turnover machine averaging around three turnovers his entire career.

With all that said I appreciate the effort you’ve gone to in broaching a much needed topic of discussion.

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 04:45:24 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
I wanted Killian Hayes and would gladly take him now. I would prefer a PG that is a willing passer and at least 6’4”. Someone that can shoot would be nice. Hayes hasn’t shown the ability to do that yet, but neither could Ball until recently. And it hasn’t been “a few years” as mentioned above. He’s only 50 games into his NBA career and he does get assists.

He could be available since he hasn’t performed well as a scorer yet and Cunningham needs the ball in his hands.

I would also look at other guys that might be blocked by a young star. Ayo Dosunmu Is behind Ball in Chicago. He’s 6’4” and is shooting over 55%. He’s not much of a passer, but since he’s a rookie backup, that might not be his role. Who’s behind Trae Young and Ja Morant?

I think Lilliard is going to be too expensive. Murray would be my favorite choice of the established players that won’t cost a fortune and might actually be available. Maybe Dinwiddie?

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 04:48:41 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Man, I am not even convinced Killian Hayes is an NBA level player nevermind a viable long term starting PG.

I don't see what people like in him. No scoring ability. Bad jump-shot. Average athleticism. Bad defense. Average handles & passing.

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 05:05:02 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I'm not convinced at all on Killian Hayes either. I see him as a bust who will likely be out of the league soon.

If you want a special young point guard with vision who can't shoot, go with Josh Giddey.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 05:12:57 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2022, 05:13:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This team needs a veteran, playoff hardened floor general, not a new, young shiny PG that has barely sniffed a playoff game. They need a floor general that commands respect from the Jays.

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2022, 05:20:55 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
I'm not convinced at all on Killian Hayes either. I see him as a bust who will likely be out of the league soon.

If you want a special young point guard with vision who can't shoot, go with Josh Giddey.

Hayes is shooting 90% from the free throw line, which is usually an indication that he can be a consistent jump shooter. He has also cut his turnover rate in half from last season.

Trading for Hayes will be a project no doubt, but there is potential in him.

You’ve also got to remember, if a player is elite already or is showing huge potential…why would their team trade him? Why would Oklahoma trade Josh Giddey? Perhaps for Jaylen Brown, but that is obviously a non-starter conversation.

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2022, 05:28:37 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672
This team needs a veteran, playoff hardened floor general, not a new, young shiny PG that has barely sniffed a playoff game. They need a floor general that commands respect from the Jays.

While I agree, that’s a difficult role to fill.  CP3, Lowry, Conley.  Those guys aren’t moving.  Rubio just got hurt and Rondo just moved to replace him (and I don’t know what kind of relationship he has with Stevens, given how he left Boston). 

Maybe we could call Toronto about Vanvleet?  That’s about as close as I can think of to that skillset and veteran clout (only 27, but a champion) while possibly being obtainable.