Poll

You alone decide: should Ime go?

Yes….right now!
21 (21%)
Maybe, but not right now.
33 (33%)
No, not even close to enough time to evaluate him.
38 (38%)
No way, love the guy.
8 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: February 23, 2022, 05:45:52 PM

Author Topic: Ime has got to go!  (Read 82239 times)

Re: Ime has got to go!
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2021, 11:50:59 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
One can speculate as to why JB would be predominately focused on scoring more points than JT even if the behavior is making the team worse off: Wants to improve his earnings potential in the future, wants to be the number one guy, etc.

Whatever the reasoning, the behavior has to change. The pecking order is JT number one, JB number two. They both need to have chemistry playing team ball, making all of their teammates better. If this can’t happen, this duo needs to be broken up. That simple.

Come on dude. Maybe he's just trying to do what he's best at. Maybe he's trying to do what is best for the team. Maybe coach tells him to just attack. Maybe his teammates do.

Why do you go to those excuses first and foremost? How come you only go for ones that make him look like an arrogant player?

Honestly wondering.

Because he’s clearly never going to be better than Tatum, but it’s obvious he is not willing to accept the pecking order of JT #1, JB #2

There’s no way a coach is telling him to behave this way. Neither CBS or CIU.

As if we can't have 2 scorers.

Last game, they both had 25 points. JB on 18 shots, JT on 20.

Game before that, JB 34 on 22 shots, JT 18 on 19 shots.

Game before that, JB 30 on 22 shots, JT 17 on 14 shots.

Pretty clear JB ain't the problem here.

.edit: also, he takes fewer shots than Tatum every single game. Hits at a higher %. What's the problem.

What’s the problem? We’ve been a .500 team for over 100 games. There’s no chemistry with this duo. They are not playing the type of team ball that got us to high horizons in 2016-2020, yet our roster definitely has better players than 2015-2016 at the very least. Unlike then, it no longer feels like we’re building towards a championship. My guess is that you could put Popovich in charge and we’d still be a .500 team because of JT/JB playing their hero ball crap. Brad could not get through to them, and now Ime is not getting through to them. Ime is a good coach and a disciple of the second or third best coach in history, behind Red and maybe Jackson. Brad was very thorough in finding his successor. This ongoing issue is not related to coaching, as we now know based on the change in coaching. The issue is JT/JB do not fit together as the leading duo, at least not with the way they’ve played together the past 100+ games. .500 is the problem. We’re the Celtics, not the Pacers or Hornets, and the .500 treadmill is just not acceptable. Boom or bust, baby. I’ve been waiting over 13 years and do not want to wait 13 more.

.500 team.

Solution: trade away our second best player and pray what comes back is worth.

The solution to most problems is to change something, not do the same thing and expect a different outcome. At a certain point it’s like listening to George W. Bush say “just stay the course” (and we all know how that turned out). We’re not quite there, but we’re getting there.

Ainge knew he had his Utah parachute and left us with a crumby team, not really doing much of anything since Kyrie left. The only way to step forward is going to be to first take two steps back, unless Brad Stevens is secretly one of the all-time NBA GM Houdinis…

Heck, I’m at the point where I’d trade the whole team away and rebuild like it’s 2013, maybe keeping Tatum and Grant until the right rebuild deal shows up for Tatum (unless Tatum lures a marquee free agent in 2022 or 2023).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 12:02:00 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2021, 10:08:51 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
There's only so much a coach can control. His two best players are not natural playmakers (though they are still improving). The best anecdote is to have a true floor general who is on the same page as the coach (or is so good it doesn't matter).

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2021, 10:09:11 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
I am still confused as to the direction of the team.  Do the powers that be on the Cs believe this team to be a contender, or a team that is one piece away from a contender? 

If they believe this to be a contending team, why did the Cs hire a rookie head coach? 

I believe that Stevens knew this team needed substantial changes and that this season is merely a bridge season.  I think that Stevens expected Ime to make mistakes as a rookie head coach, and that it was better for Ime to learn during a "bridge season" where not much was expected from the team.

No major trades will be made during this season.  Stevens will have Horford's large expiring to use towards a trade for an impactful player.  Until then Ime will learn how to manage a team and will grow as a coach alongside JT and JB.

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2021, 10:26:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I am still confused as to the direction of the team.  Do the powers that be on the Cs believe this team to be a contender, or a team that is one piece away from a contender? 

If they believe this to be a contending team, why did the Cs hire a rookie head coach? 

I believe that Stevens knew this team needed substantial changes and that this season is merely a bridge season.  I think that Stevens expected Ime to make mistakes as a rookie head coach, and that it was better for Ime to learn during a "bridge season" where not much was expected from the team.

No major trades will be made during this season.  Stevens will have Horford's large expiring to use towards a trade for an impactful player.  Until then Ime will learn how to manage a team and will grow as a coach alongside JT and JB.
Why are you confused?  Management hasn't treated Boston like it is a contender in years because they know it is not one.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2021, 10:36:51 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
I get the frustration but it seems way out of proportion.

During the off-season so many (so, so many) claimed this wasn’t a contending team, but now that’s proving to be true, people are upset? If you were so sure this team isn’t a contender, why are you so upset with the results? Aren’t they exactly what you expected?

I don’t think team building is like grilling a steak. It’s more like baking a cake.

Grilling a steak is more immediate. You pick a good cut of meat and get the grill at the right temperature and your good to go. Maybe a little prep is required, like seasoning the meat, and getting some sides ready, but mostly you crack a beer and wait for the results.

Baking a cake takes longer. There’s more prep work, getting the right ingredients, but also in the correct proportions. Baking is all about chemistry. If the mix is wrong; or the temperature of the oven is off, it doesn’t matter what the frosting looks like or how many sprinkles you added to glow it up. As soon as they take a bite, everyone will know it sucks.

This cake isn’t ready to go in the oven yet.

« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2021, 11:13:32 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I wish we could take TP's away.  30 games in and already people calling to fire the coach, trade JB and Tatum etc.

I will admit I wish we could see this team at full strength for a month to see what the team actually has.  The C's ran out of gas against a full strength defending champions at home and almost pulled it out.  No Horford, No Richardson, No Grant etc.  So much scoring not playing and people still want to complain.  I hate this .500 record but the best players have not played together.  I'm happy to see PP finally back to form and before Covid Nesmith was rounding into shape as well.

This team is missing a 3rd piece.  They need a true Playmaking PG who can shoot.  Smart isn't moving the needle and while I always love his heart and some of the plays only he can make he is not a good fit with the J's.  Neither is Dennis.  The J's need shooters.  The more shooters the better the J's are.  They have their lob threat in Rob but need another shooter for spacing.  No one thinks Smart is going to make the shot and they are happy when he takes and bricks them.  This team with their own version of Kyle Lowry would be tough to beat. 

This team is much better then their record.  Ime also can't shoot the [dang] ball either.  This team misses more open shots then any I've seen.  That's the problem.  Health and shooting.  No real PG on the team.  Dennis needs the ball in his hands to be effective.  The J's need someone who can create as well as spot up shoot when they drive and kick.  No need to blow it up.  Just need to find the right piece at PG.

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2021, 10:38:56 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I wish we could take TP's away.  30 games in and already people calling to fire the coach, trade JB and Tatum etc.

I will admit I wish we could see this team at full strength for a month to see what the team actually has.  The C's ran out of gas against a full strength defending champions at home and almost pulled it out.  No Horford, No Richardson, No Grant etc.  So much scoring not playing and people still want to complain.  I hate this .500 record but the best players have not played together.  I'm happy to see PP finally back to form and before Covid Nesmith was rounding into shape as well.

This team is missing a 3rd piece.  They need a true Playmaking PG who can shoot.  Smart isn't moving the needle and while I always love his heart and some of the plays only he can make he is not a good fit with the J's.  Neither is Dennis.  The J's need shooters.  The more shooters the better the J's are.  They have their lob threat in Rob but need another shooter for spacing.  No one thinks Smart is going to make the shot and they are happy when he takes and bricks them.  This team with their own version of Kyle Lowry would be tough to beat. 

This team is much better then their record.  Ime also can't shoot the [dang] ball either.  This team misses more open shots then any I've seen.  That's the problem.  Health and shooting.  No real PG on the team.  Dennis needs the ball in his hands to be effective.  The J's need someone who can create as well as spot up shoot when they drive and kick.  No need to blow it up.  Just need to find the right piece at PG.

If I hear we haven’t had a healthy team as an excuse one more time…

We just lost to a bunch of third string G Leaguers with our own absentees but enough to dominate this game: that is purely talent, effort and COACHING.

Sorry dude but it’s time to really blow this bad boy up. Including the coach. He was a mis-hire. I run a company… first 30 days of employment are the most important time to start with success. He is a decent defense coach but he isn’t a head coach. He lacks offensive creativity.

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2021, 11:08:45 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

We just lost to a bunch of third string G Leaguers with our own absentees but enough to dominate this game: that is purely talent, effort and COACHING.

Sorry dude but it’s time to really blow this bad boy up. Including the coach. He was a mis-hire. I run a company… first 30 days of employment are the most important time to start with success. He is a decent defense coach but he isn’t a head coach. He lacks offensive creativity.
He isn't even a decent defensive coach, here's Udoka's CV after leaving San Antonio where he could vibe and yell at the lads to run around and press:

Udoka in
2019-2020 76ers rDRTG: -1.6
2020-2021 Nets rDRTG: +1.5

Udoka out
2020-2021 76ers rDRTG: -4.7 (3 point improvement!)
2021-2022 Nets rDRTG: -2.5 (4 point improvement!)

The Nets and 76ers exploded on defence after his departure :o
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2021, 11:25:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I would excused for us losing to just about any other team tonight. Tatum, Schroeder others out. Horford and Williams out of shape. But we were getting roasted by Greg freaking Monroe. Coach does
Deserve some blame for this. (To be not clear we are obviously not firing him, but it was a really really bad loss).

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2021, 12:46:30 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

He isn't even a decent defensive coach, here's Udoka's CV after leaving San Antonio where he could vibe and yell at the lads to run around and press:

Udoka in

Udoka out

Yeah, we gave JT/JB/Smart the guy they wanted and perhaps it was not the best move. But we should give him more time. It won’t look good going back to Brad any sooner than 2-3 years of Ime.

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2021, 01:09:13 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Udoka in

Udoka out

Yeah, we gave JT/JB/Smart the guy they wanted and perhaps it was not the best move. But we should give him more time. It won’t look good going back to Brad any sooner than 2-3 years of Ime.
Hiring any half-decent NBA coach would be a considerable upgrade over Udoka - I don't even want Brad back. We shouldn't be giving a WOAT-level coach more time so he might turn to be merely below average someday.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2021, 12:35:13 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Udoka in

Udoka out

Hiring any half-decent NBA coach would be a considerable upgrade over Udoka - I don't even want Brad back. We shouldn't be giving a WOAT-level coach more time so he might turn to be merely below average someday.

If we get rid of Ime after less than 1-2 seasons, we’re not going to be able to attract a half-decent NBA coach. And we already have a great coach on the team (Brad Stevens), so him coming back to the bench is presumably the fallback if Ime falters next season.

« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2021, 12:44:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Udoka in

Udoka out

If we get rid of Ime after less than 1-2 seasons, we’re not going to be able to attract a half-decent NBA coach. And we already have a great coach on the team (Brad Stevens), so him coming back to the bench is presumably the fallback if Ime falters next season.

Of course we can. I do not know where this idea comes from.

How many teams out there struggle to get quality coaches because of coaching turnover? How many of them boast two highly talented young All-Stars in Tatum and Jaylen Brown?

Where are the examples of this happening?

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2021, 08:02:46 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Glad to see more and more threads on this exact same subject.

Maybe the mods can merge them?

Uchoka is either not telling them the right things ( I.e no hero ball to the Js and no chuckfests to Smart) OR they are not listening to him.

Either way Ime is ineffective…..time for Uchoka to GO!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 08:24:55 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2021, 01:14:42 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Glad to see more and more threads on this exact same subject.

Maybe the mods can merge them?

Uchoka is either not telling them the right things ( I.e no hero ball to the Js and no chuckfests to Smart) OR they are not listening to him.

Either way Ime is ineffective…..time for Uchoka to GO!
He should've never gotten the Celtics job imo so I'm glad that you've come around on this ;)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA