Author Topic: Something is missing from this team…  (Read 2387 times)

Re: Something is missing from this team…
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2023, 01:53:38 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
To me it feels as if they're all waiting for the playoffs to come around. Taking weaker teams too lightly, ramping up against strong rivals, all of which reflects upon the coaching to me. We didn't just lose Ime.

But, Mazzulla has the locker-room humming. If we can stay healthy, then that will go a long way I believe.

I still don't favour any opposition team over us in a 7 game series.

My sentiments exactly. I think they're bored and they don't always put their best foot forward because they know that come playoff time we are built to beat nearly anyone (except Orlando  :police:) Most of these losses we've had are due to lack of mental fortitude or carelessness. It drives us crazy as fans because we want them to win every game, and it looks like at their best they can win every game, but I don't think they feel they have to (or maybe they just can't get themselves up for an epic Celtics vs Magic or Celtics vs Nets with no KD, no Cryrie matchup. If KD had still been at the Nets I feel there's no way they would have let go of the rope the way they did. It's a mental issue with them.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2023, 06:26:51 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
What is missing is the state of mind that, "Hates losing more than they like winning". They are okay with losing. If the mind/energy can move to that they will be very good like at the start of the year.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 04:36:29 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2023, 06:41:16 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Biggest thing is Rob Williams being a shell of his former self and the team having 0 defensive identity.
 This core has always been up and down, they desperately wanted to choke away last years eastern conference finals against a team I thought they should’ve swept and then did choke under the pressure of the finals against a team I think they’re better then (even if curry is an all time great)

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2023, 09:45:06 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
What is missing is the state of mind that, "Hates losing more they they like winning". They are okay with losing. If the mind/energy can move to that they will be very good like at the start of the year.
I was thinking something similar like this team is missing the love of winning.  didn't have to worry about this in prior generations of great players.  The great players hated losing.  This generation (not just the players on this team from what I've seen) is ok to just go through the motions as long as they make friends on the court.   screw that, this team needs someone to develop a meanstreak when it comes to teammates coasting and impose their drive to win on them.

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2023, 12:05:03 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
They are still a young team. They have a rookie coach. They need more experience. Bad losses help shape character. We will see how they respond tonight.

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2023, 12:07:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Healthy Rob

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2023, 12:59:52 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Stability in the starting lineup.  We've had our '22 playoff starting five start a total of 4 games this season I believe.  I don't know how we can expect consistency when our players available are not consistent.

I read people saying "Accountability".  Accountability for what?  We have the second best record (by half a game) and second best point differential in the NBA.  What do players need to be held accountable for that they aren't right now?

I think anyone thinking something is missing from this team is looking for perfection, which you're not going to find in any of the 30 teams in the league right now.  I'm personally happy enjoying this team that still has enough youth and hopefully future consistency to enable them to continue to grow which is a remarkable and rare opportunity for a team already at the top of the league.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2023, 03:19:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Biggest thing is Rob Williams being a shell of his former self and the team having 0 defensive identity.
 This core has always been up and down, they desperately wanted to choke away last years eastern conference finals against a team I thought they should’ve swept and then did choke under the pressure of the finals against a team I think they’re better then (even if curry is an all time great)
How does the 4th best defence in the league = no defensive identity?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2023, 04:42:59 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
What is missing is the state of mind that, "Hates losing more than they like winning". They are okay with losing. If the mind/energy can move to that they will be very good like at the start of the year.
I was thinking something similar like this team is missing the love of winning.  didn't have to worry about this in prior generations of great players.  The great players hated losing.  This generation (not just the players on this team from what I've seen) is ok to just go through the motions as long as they make friends on the court.   screw that, this team needs someone to develop a meanstreak when it comes to teammates coasting and impose their drive to win on them.
Probably a generation thing. Society doesn't focus on winning being everything anymore, it's about playing well enough... If these players make allstars or get end of season awards they are happy. Same way they were happy getting to multiple ECFs as a good enough achievement. With this attitude they will always be missing that "winning edge".

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2023, 05:05:03 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
As long as they show up in the playoffs we won’t look back at this at all. Basically they are saying trust us but we aren’t sure if we can. Personally I don’t like it because if I get the idea something is wasting my time I’ll find something else to focus on. If they treat games like a scrimmage I will to. It’s not hard to judge a teams effort when you watch them for long enough.

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2023, 05:11:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If the team's approach is, we'll flip the switch in the playoffs, isn't that a little arrogant for a team that has won nothing?

It's basically blowing off the importance of both home court advantage and seeding.  Plus, it disrespects the paying customer, something the NBA and players seem to take for granted.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2023, 05:19:18 PM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
If the team's approach is, we'll flip the switch in the playoffs, isn't that a little arrogant for a team that has won nothing?

It's basically blowing off the importance of both home court advantage and seeding.  Plus, it disrespects the paying customer, something the NBA and players seem to take for granted.

I think you’re assuming that they aren’t trying to win. I think that’s a faulty assumption. I don’t think they have demonstrated poor effort in many games. We will see what the effort looks like tonight against a pretty good Knicks team. If they play like that again tonight, I’ll concede that effort is an issue. If they play hard tonight, will you offer a similar concession? I’m guessing no.

The paying customer argument gets us to a point where some think it’s ok to shout obscenities at athletes as if it’s 1953 and not 2023. Those defending the treatment of Kyrie and DRaymond because they paid for that “right” should be ashamed.

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2023, 07:45:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I think you’re assuming that they aren’t trying to win. I think that’s a faulty assumption. I don’t think they have demonstrated poor effort in many games. We will see what the effort looks like tonight against a pretty good Knicks team. If they play like that again tonight, I’ll concede that effort is an issue. If they play hard tonight, will you offer a similar concession? I’m guessing no.

The paying customer argument gets us to a point where some think it’s ok to shout obscenities at athletes as if it’s 1953 and not 2023. Those defending the treatment of Kyrie and DRaymond because they paid for that “right” should be ashamed.
they should feel no shame at all.  Draymond was an **** and treated as such.  Kryie, on the other hand, showed complete disdain and hatred for the fanbase, the franchise and the city.  Draymond's catcalls will be short lived.  Kyrie will be screamed at for the rest of his career.

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2023, 08:02:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The team hasn't played like a .500 team since the 21-5 start, they are in fact 24-14.  It seems to me the only thing missing from the team is fans that are realistic.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2023, 08:03:44 PM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
The team hasn't played like a .500 team since the 21-5 start, they are in fact 24-14.  It seems to me the only thing missing from the team is fans that are realistic.

TP. This is accurate.