Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 78033 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #225 on: January 13, 2022, 11:12:56 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Interview with Brad from earlier today. Gave some good analysis on Nesmith, sounds like IT will not be brought in on a 10 day. It’s worth a listen.

https://985thesportshub.com/episodes/celtics-president-of-basketball-operations-brad-stevens-joins-toucher-rich-thursday-january-13-2022-98-5-the-sports-hub/

Interviews after last nights win over Indiana:

Jayson: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e55HI5CWZcU

Jaylen: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kmXM_kO-bIU

Ime: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ict5IMV9GC4

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #226 on: January 13, 2022, 11:53:17 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Reddish to the Knicks:

https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/status/1481663920888635394?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Edit: sorry this is probably not the correct thread for this…
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 11:58:25 AM by seancally »
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #227 on: January 14, 2022, 05:27:55 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I appreciate Ime taking some of the blame for the C’s struggles. This is the first time I’ve heard him doing so and it’s refreshing to hear.

Jay King: Ime Udoka said the Celtics have evaluated how to play better in close games “starting with the coaching staff.” Said the Celtics have to improve in that area, have put in more packages for different guys down the stretch. – via Twitter ByJayKing
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #228 on: January 17, 2022, 04:00:30 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
This is what Stevens had to say about the (JT/JB) pairing in a recent interview with The Athletic:

Well, I think, first of all, all that chatter is obviously when your team is .500 and you go back and forth and we haven’t found any real consistency, the obvious bit of attention usually goes to the highest-profile people and the best players. At the end of the day, I think they’re by far the least of my concerns. I’ve talked about this a ton, they are 23 and 25 and they are carrying new burdens for the Celtics. The burdens that really began last year and just continue to increase and that you just have to get used to as the best players in the building. So if you look at it kind of in totality of what those guys have done in their first five years and six years in the NBA, I think that there’s a reason to just take a step back and just remember how unique and good they are, and continue to try to find our best way as a group to help complement them. And they need to continue to improve, there’s no doubt about that. But they’ve shown no reason for anyone not to think they will.

« Reply #229 on: January 17, 2022, 04:04:30 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I appreciate Ime taking some of the blame for the C’s struggles. This is the first time I’ve heard him doing so and it’s refreshing to hear.

Jay King: Ime Udoka said the Celtics have evaluated how to play better in close games “starting with the coaching staff.” Said the Celtics have to improve in that area, have put in more packages for different guys down the stretch. – via Twitter ByJayKing

Agree. If you want to call people out I think you should be able to call yourself out.

« Reply #230 on: January 17, 2022, 05:42:39 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
This is what Stevens had to say about the (JT/JB) pairing in a recent interview with The Athletic:

Well, I think, first of all, all that chatter is obviously when your team is .500 and you go back and forth and we haven’t found any real consistency, the obvious bit of attention usually goes to the highest-profile people and the best players. At the end of the day, I think they’re by far the least of my concerns. I’ve talked about this a ton, they are 23 and 25 and they are carrying new burdens for the Celtics. The burdens that really began last year and just continue to increase and that you just have to get used to as the best players in the building. So if you look at it kind of in totality of what those guys have done in their first five years and six years in the NBA, I think that there’s a reason to just take a step back and just remember how unique and good they are, and continue to try to find our best way as a group to help complement them. And they need to continue to improve, there’s no doubt about that. But they’ve shown no reason for anyone not to think they will.

Brad parroting my Tatum and Brown posts.

One is 23, the other is 25, the best players in the NBA don’t start winning as the best players on their respective teams until their mid to late 20s. They’ve already been to 2 ECF as primary players with 2 different rosters, allow them to work it out.

Ime has to improve as a coach. Brad would’ve had this roster on pace for 50-60 wins right now.

« Reply #231 on: January 19, 2022, 11:55:03 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Over 445 minutes with Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown and Robert Williams all on the court, the Celtics are pounding opponents by 14.3 points per 100 possessions.

The Celtics have been outscored by a total of 59 points over all their other minutes.

Source: Jay King
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #232 on: January 24, 2022, 09:04:42 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
This is Tatum’s fifth 50-point game in the past calendar year, the most in the NBA. Larry Bird only had four of those in his entire career, the most in Celtics history before Sunday. Tatum’s the 16th player with a 50-10-5 game in the last decade. It’s not revelatory that he can reach the highest heights one can imagine. But it’s reinvigorating that after a catastrophic collapse two nights earlier, Tatum can come out firing. It’s a reminder that as long as Tatum always believes in himself, he is going to do something special. He hit a career-high nine 3s Sunday, more than he had in the previous six games combined. “It’s like shots I’ve been taking my whole life,” he said. “I’ve scored 50 a bunch of times now — a handful of times. Those times when you’re missing shots, it’s like you know what you’re capable of and sometimes you gotta laugh it off.”  – via Jared Weiss @ The Athletic

« Reply #233 on: January 27, 2022, 05:29:03 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Interesting... many have said that he’s a goner for sure, but perhaps not.

Does Schroder realistically think that a new deal could come from Boston, given their cap limitations? “For sure,” Schroder said. “Even Brad said that (last summer). He was like, ‘Listen, maybe for this year you get that money but next year, hopefully with us, we can extend it.’ I’m 28 and all these young guys, Jaylen, JT, they are turning 24 or 25. I’m hitting my prime soon and I think we can do something.”  – via Brian Robb @ Booth Newspapers
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 05:39:46 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2022, 05:43:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Interesting...

Does Schroder realistically think that a new deal could come from Boston, given their cap limitations? “For sure,” Schroder said. “Even Brad said that (last summer). He was like, ‘Listen, maybe for this year you get that money but next year, hopefully with us, we can extend it.’ I’m 28 and all these young guys, Jaylen, JT, they are turning 24 or 25. I’m hitting my prime soon and I think we can do something.”  – via Brian Robb @ Booth Newspapers
I see no reason to believe anyone is going to throw money at him that is all that much higher than what the Celtics will be able to give him.

He is having a very similar season to last season and after last season, when he turned down the Lakers offer, all he got was taxerpayer MLE money. Not sure his season will warrant that much more especially with so many teams seemingly not needing a starting PG.

A 3 year deal starting at $7.1 million might be the best deal he sees.

« Reply #235 on: January 27, 2022, 05:47:12 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Interesting... many have said that he’s a goner for sure, but perhaps not.

I do appreciate Dennis trying to increase his trade value.

« Reply #236 on: January 27, 2022, 06:12:41 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Interesting...

I see no reason to believe anyone is going to throw money at him that is all that much higher than what the Celtics will be able to give him.

He is having a very similar season to last season and after last season, when he turned down the Lakers offer, all he got was taxerpayer MLE money. Not sure his season will warrant that much more especially with so many teams seemingly not needing a starting PG.

A 3 year deal starting at $7.1 million might be the best deal he sees.

I really want the young guys to play, but a cost controlled Schroeder would be nice

« Reply #237 on: January 27, 2022, 06:28:41 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
This is interesting. If ever Smart is traded at the deadline, it wouldn’t necessarily have to be for a point guard then?

« Reply #238 on: January 29, 2022, 02:00:09 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
There’s no growing rift between Smart and Udoka. Smart said the rookie coach has done a great job. Smart said he believes Udoka has faith in him. Smart trusts the coach will act in the best interest of both Smart and the team. “So you tip your hat off to him for everything that he’s doing in his first year with all the BS around with this team not winning and stuff like that,” Smart said. “Being in Boston and coaching for Boston, it’s not easy, especially for your first year. So we just have to continue to help him. I’ve gotta continue to help him. I’ve been here the longest. I know the guys more than he does. And I’ve gotta be that quarterback out there for him.”

“My whole life I’ve been doubted. And I’m here. And I’m still around. And that’s just kind of how it’s been for me. I always bet on myself. And I love this team, this organization. I know we’re not perfect. And that’s part of this whole NBA thing. Everybody’s out there trying to do what’s best for their organization and their team. And it might not be perfect at the time, but you do what you can with what you’ve got and you can control.”

Just know this: Regardless of what anyone else thinks, Smart believes he’s fully capable of running the show in Boston. He wants to make it work no matter what it means for him individually. He thinks he can make life easier for Tatum and Brown and finds it comical that such skepticism exists about whether he can handle the task. “First coming out of college, I was a point guard,” Smart said late Friday morning before falling to the Hawks, 108-92. “It’s what I played. So it’s kind of funny to hear people say I’m not a point guard. In high school, point guard, led my team to two state championships. It’s funny hearing people say I’m not a point guard.”  – via Jay King @ The Athletic

« Reply #239 on: January 29, 2022, 04:34:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
There’s no growing rift between Smart and Udoka. Smart said the rookie coach has done a great job. Smart said he believes Udoka has faith in him. Smart trusts the coach will act in the best interest of both Smart and the team. “So you tip your hat off to him for everything that he’s doing in his first year with all the BS around with this team not winning and stuff like that,” Smart said. “Being in Boston and coaching for Boston, it’s not easy, especially for your first year. So we just have to continue to help him. I’ve gotta continue to help him. I’ve been here the longest. I know the guys more than he does. And I’ve gotta be that quarterback out there for him.”

“My whole life I’ve been doubted. And I’m here. And I’m still around. And that’s just kind of how it’s been for me. I always bet on myself. And I love this team, this organization. I know we’re not perfect. And that’s part of this whole NBA thing. Everybody’s out there trying to do what’s best for their organization and their team. And it might not be perfect at the time, but you do what you can with what you’ve got and you can control.”

Just know this: Regardless of what anyone else thinks, Smart believes he’s fully capable of running the show in Boston. He wants to make it work no matter what it means for him individually. He thinks he can make life easier for Tatum and Brown and finds it comical that such skepticism exists about whether he can handle the task. “First coming out of college, I was a point guard,” Smart said late Friday morning before falling to the Hawks, 108-92. “It’s what I played. So it’s kind of funny to hear people say I’m not a point guard. In high school, point guard, led my team to two state championships. It’s funny hearing people say I’m not a point guard.”  – via Jay King @ The Athletic

Something that he has direct influence over...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)