Author Topic: Double Punt = Awesome  (Read 2863 times)

Double Punt = Awesome
« on: October 07, 2021, 11:02:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/seahawks-rams-double-punt-nfl-rule-michael-dickson

I know you are all probably watching the baseball game, but that was the coolest 60+ yard punt I've ever seen. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Double Punt = Awesome
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 11:34:33 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
That was crazy.

CRAZY AWESOME!!!!!!

What awareness by the punter (if, in fact, he knew that was a legal play; if not, oh well, it worked out amazingly for him!).

Funniest thing was how NO ONE thought at first that it was a legal play. Even the announcer was saying, "That's coming back."
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 01:00:09 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I guess because he has an Australian rugby or Australian Rules Football background, from when I lived there and watched those games (confusing as all hell initially but I figured it out eventually) that's pretty much what they do all day in those games, pick it up off the ground one handed, kick from the hand multiple times if it gets blocked. I'm sure @gouki88 and @Kiorrik would be chuckling if they saw Dickson's highlight. His instincts just took over  :police:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 01:17:18 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 07:54:14 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
That was a cool play, but it still looked illegal.  Not because there was a second kick, but it looks like he’s a half yard past the line of scrimmage. 

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 08:19:56 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
That was a cool play, but it still looked illegal.  Not because there was a second kick, but it looks like he’s a half yard past the line of scrimmage.

Doesn’t look like he is to me.  At the beginning of the highlight, the blue line for the line of scrimmage (which I know is unofficial but is generally pretty good) is just beyond the 21, and he his front foot looks to be at or behind the 21 when he kicks.

Also, when you watch the replay he’s running and then stops very quickly as he approaches the line of scrimmage to kick the ball.  He clearly knew the rule and had the awareness of where he was on the field.

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 08:52:55 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

Doesn’t look like he is to me.  At the beginning of the highlight, the blue line for the line of scrimmage (which I know is unofficial but is generally pretty good) is just beyond the 21, and he his front foot looks to be at or behind the 21 when he kicks.

Also, when you watch the replay he’s running and then stops very quickly as he approaches the line of scrimmage to kick the ball.  He clearly knew the rule and had the awareness of where he was on the field.

It’s close, but it looks a bit past the line of scrimmage to me.

Florio from NBC PFT is saying the same thing.  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/07/officials-permit-punt-beyond-line-of-scrimmage-rams-fail-to-challenge/

I’ll be curious to see if the NFL offers any further clarification today.  It was strange that Mike Pereira didn’t know the rule.

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 08:55:09 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Don't forget, as long as any part of the body is behind the line of scrimmage, even a toenail, the player is considered behind line of scrimmage.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 09:43:05 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Florio from NBC PFT is saying the same thing.  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/07/officials-permit-punt-beyond-line-of-scrimmage-rams-fail-to-challenge/

I’ll be curious to see if the NFL offers any further clarification today.  It was strange that Mike Pereira didn’t know the rule.

I don’t think it’d have been overruled on challenge.  The LOS wasn’t on an exact yard line, and unless there are other replays that haven’t been shown, that angle is inconclusive at best.  He was somewhere between the 21 and 21.5 yard line when he kicked it, and the LOS was also between the 21 and 21.5.

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 09:53:53 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don’t think it’d have been overruled on challenge.  The LOS wasn’t on an exact yard line, and unless there are other replays that haven’t been shown, that angle is inconclusive at best.  He was somewhere between the 21 and 21.5 yard line when he kicked it, and the LOS was also between the 21 and 21.5.

Also, does this rule follow the same definition as a QB throwing beyond the line of scrimmage? In that case, the player’s entire body has to be beyond the line for it to be a penalty.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2021, 09:55:56 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

I was looking at the placement of the ball when it was kicked, but as I’ve read further, I think JohnBoy65 is correct. 

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 06:17:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Australian rules footballers make the best punters! ;D

In seriousness, that was a pretty stock-standard effort for Aussie rules. The one-handed scoop plus dropping the ball on that angle are things you see every game!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2021, 05:22:21 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

In seriousness, that was a pretty stock-standard effort for Aussie rules. The one-handed scoop plus dropping the ball on that angle are things you see every game!

They definitely do. It's amazing how much control those guys have over the distance and direction they kick the ball. They almost seem to be able to control which way it bounces too  :o

They occasionally show Australian Rules Football and rugby on Verizon late at night, I enjoy watching it now that I understand how it is played, Australian Rules Football in particular is really frenetic. Like soccer except that you kick it in the air and punch it to someone else and jump on people's backs to catch it while people are tugging on your shirt. I can only imagine how many miles those guys run a game.

In fact, I read somewhere that Ben Simmons used to play Australian Rules Football as well as basketball.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2021, 07:29:25 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

They definitely do. It's amazing how much control those guys have over the distance and direction they kick the ball. They almost seem to be able to control which way it bounces too  :o

They occasionally show Australian Rules Football and rugby on Verizon late at night, I enjoy watching it now that I understand how it is played, Australian Rules Football in particular is really frenetic. Like soccer except that you kick it in the air and punch it to someone else and jump on people's backs to catch it while people are tugging on your shirt. I can only imagine how many miles those guys run a game.

In fact, I read somewhere that Ben Simmons used to play Australian Rules Football as well as basketball.
It’s a shame kicking skills have declined, because some of the old blokes had freakishly masterful control over the footy. Peter Daicos’ ability to kick goals from wherever is unrivalled!

The average distance for an AFL player in a game is 13kms or so - the wingmen crack 20kms occasionally though! Lots of mileage. Speaking from experience, it really beats up the body! ;D

Patty Mills was actually pursuing being a pro footballer first. But then he chose basketball - Scott Pendlebury, a legendary footballer, basically did the inverse and they essentially swapped careers
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2021, 11:56:53 AM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
Don't forget, as long as any part of the body is behind the line of scrimmage, even a toenail, the player is considered behind line of scrimmage.

I was always under the impression it was all about if the ball goes over the line of scrimmage and nothing to do with feet, body, etc