Author Topic: Donda (New Kanye West album)  (Read 2019 times)

Donda (New Kanye West album)
« on: August 29, 2021, 12:55:14 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Just dropped at midnight. Has any one listened yet?

I gotta say, it’s a tough listen. The album is 27 tracks, pretty much the duration of a motion picture, and very few of the songs are memorable. A lot of them sound like they are going to be cool and then totally lose momentum and fizzle out.

Highlights of the album are…

- Jail (feat. Jay-Z)
- Off The Grid
- Believe What I Say
- Jesus Lord (Feat. Jay Electronica) best song on the album
- Heaven & Hell

And all those (except Jesus Lord) are just okay.

Quite the fall from grace for Kanye these past few years if I may say.

Re: Donda (New Kanye West album)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 03:44:04 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I tried listening earlier today. Couldn't make it through an entire song. Would get about halfway then go to the next song to see if it was any good, and nothing hit for me.

Such a farcry from his original albums like College Dropout, and even Graduation.  I also like Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy in some parts.

Kanye hasn't been enjoyable for me in about six years.

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 03:13:43 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
I tried listening earlier today. Couldn't make it through an entire song. Would get about halfway then go to the next song to see if it was any good, and nothing hit for me.

Such a farcry from his original albums like College Dropout, and even Graduation.  I also like Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy in some parts.

I’m actually amazed at how well received it has been. Easily the worst album of his near 2 decade career. I don’t like it because it’s gospel, I just don’t like it cause it’s not…good.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 03:52:57 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

You're hitting the nail on the head. those 3 albums are all amazing and then he started believing his own BS and not having anyone around to tell him the truth. Just an Amazing drop off.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 04:03:53 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell

You're hitting the nail on the head. those 3 albums are all amazing and then he started believing his own BS and not having anyone around to tell him the truth. Just an Amazing drop off.

I love those albums, but personally my favorite Kanye album is Life Of Pablo from 2016. Since then there has been a tremendous drop off including Ye, Jesus Is King, and Donda. Combine those albums together and you still don’t get anything that comes close to his first 7 albums.