Author Topic: Lebron Joins Fenway Sports Group as Partner / Set to be part owner of Red Sox  (Read 7323 times)

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pretty wild stuff.

Michael Silverman
@MikeSilvermanBB
 · 31m
LeBron James to become part owner of Red Sox, both he & Maverick Carter each join Fenway Sports Group as partners, first and only Black partners in FSG history.
FSG also approves $750M investment from RedBird Capital Partners. Deal pending MLB approval.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/03/16/sports/fenway-sports-group-adds-lebron-james-partner-approves-deal-jump-start-plan-acquire-more-teams/
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 03:29:15 PM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Lebron Joins Fenway Sports Group / Set to be part owner of Red Sox
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 03:27:46 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Pretty wild stuff.

Michael Silverman
@MikeSilvermanBB
 · 31m
LeBron James to become part owner of Red Sox, both he & Maverick Carter each join Fenway Sports Group as partners, first and only Black partners in FSG history.
FSG also approves $750M investment from RedBird Capital Partners. Deal pending MLB approval.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/03/16/sports/fenway-sports-group-adds-lebron-james-partner-approves-deal-jump-start-plan-acquire-more-teams/

It’s crazy considering he’s a Yankees fan and his history vs Boston but it’s not really wild considering he has been part of the FSG group for years now as minority owner of Liverpool FC, he has made a fortune in that investment thus not surprising he would jump at adding to it.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 03:28:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The only thing that could have made the current John Henry group last likable…

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 03:47:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Pretty wild stuff.

Michael Silverman
@MikeSilvermanBB
 · 31m

It’s crazy considering he’s a Yankees fan and his history vs Boston but it’s not really wild considering he has been part of the FSG group for years now as minority owner of Liverpool FC, he has made a fortune in that investment thus not surprising he would jump at adding to it.

He better not wear the Yankees hat now.... like Kemba does at the press conference *facepalm*

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I didn't realize baseball was still a good investment.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Its not. Its failing

This is why JH and group is desparate for new life

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Its not. Its failing

Failing? Based upon what?

The franchise valuation has gone from $1 billion in 2012 to $3.3 billion in 2020.  I am not an expert, but I would assume that businesses that increase in value by at least $100 million each and every year are fairly healthy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Its not. Its failing

The franchise valuation has gone from $1 billion in 2012 to $3.3 billion in 2020.  I am not an expert, but I would assume that businesses that increase in value by at least $100 million each and every year are fairly healthy.

Who says it's worth 3.3 billion? Forbes magazine? Did someone offer to pay that for the franchise? You and I know those figures are kind of bogus. 

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Its not. Its failing

Who says it's worth 3.3 billion? Forbes magazine? Did someone offer to pay that for the franchise? You and I know those figures are kind of bogus.

The Mets sold last year for $2.42 billion.  Their Forbes' valuation prior to the sale?  $2.4 billion.

I don't really know that the figures are bogus at all. 

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Vomit emoji
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Its not. Its failing

The Mets sold last year for $2.42 billion.  Their Forbes' valuation prior to the sale?  $2.4 billion.

I don't really know that the figures are bogus at all.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 06:38:46 PM by footey »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Disgusting.

This means that if the Sox succeed, LeBron succeeds. YUCK.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Lebron already owned 2% of Liverpool as he joined with FSG on just that purchase in 2010.  The total purchase prices was 493 million and James kicked in 6.5 million.  The group turned down a bid to buy Liverpool in 2018 for 2.6 billion (it is probably worth more now).  So he is increasing his investment in FSG and joining all of their investments instead of just Liverpool.  Seems like a pretty logical move for a guy that has made it clear he wants to own a NBA team when he retires.  This way he gets sports ownership experience, even if just as a minority partner, while also increasing his own financial portfolio and contact list.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Lebron already owned 2% of Liverpool as he joined with FSG on just that purchase in 2010.  The total purchase prices was 493 million and James kicked in 6.5 million.  The group turned down a bid to buy Liverpool in 2018 for 2.6 billion (it is probably worth more now).  So he is increasing his investment in FSG and joining all of their investments instead of just Liverpool.  Seems like a pretty logical move for a guy that has made it clear he wants to own a NBA team when he retires.  This way he gets sports ownership experience, even if just as a minority partner, while also increasing his own financial portfolio and contact list.

Yes exactly but it’s Henry and Co that gets the most out of the deal. There is a reason for allowing LeBron to be part of ownership...visibility. LeBron is a squeaky clean superstar with global reach and is perhaps the most recognisable current athlete on the planet. LeBron’s connections were also instrumental in Liverpool signing a massive deal with Nike which I’m sure wouldn’t had been so easy without LeBron’s market reach promoting the brand (he wore their new Nike jersey pregame in the playoffs bubble).

Henry and FSG are business geniuses.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine