Poll

Starting: What should Patriots do regarding QB situation?

sign stopgap UFA:  Fitzpatrick, Trubisky, Smith etc.
4 (14.8%)
trade/overpay for Garoppolo
4 (14.8%)
bring back Newton
5 (18.5%)
Draft: best available 1st round pick. Mac Jones (example)
14 (51.9%)
Draft: best available 2nd round pick. Davis Mills (example)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Poll: What should Patriots do regarding QB situation?  (Read 9469 times)

Poll: What should Patriots do regarding QB situation?
« on: March 01, 2021, 03:27:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What would you do??

Imo they should sign a UFA QB (not named Newton).   And draft best available 2nd round QB.  Davis Mills is underrated.  Cut Hoyer.

The bread and butter QBs of the draft are likely going to be chosen prior to 15 (example Zac Wilson).    Not a fan of reaching for Mac Jones

Has weak arm power.   Poor mobility. 

Re: Poll: What should Patriots do regarding QB situation?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 03:35:15 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
They’re probably going to add two QBs this offseason, one young and one old.

I am not excited about Mariota or Trubisky. I’d be able to stomach a Newton return, but I also recognize he’s totally broken compared to his MVP season.

Doesn’t look like any decision will be a good one sadly.

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 03:43:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
They’re probably going to add two QBs this offseason, one young and one old.

I am not excited about Mariota or Trubisky. I’d be able to stomach a Newton return, but I also recognize he’s totally broken compared to his MVP season.

Doesn’t look like any decision will be a good one sadly.

Newton passing was an eyesore. Low confidence

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 03:46:40 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Stink.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 03:50:33 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Either trade for Mariota or Garoppolo, and also draft someone to develop.

My dream scenario is Jimmy G + draft 1 QB. Yeah I know he's injury prone, but Garoppolo is familiar with the system and he can definitely win games. Plus with him, you have a nice little window to compete (since he's still just 29 years old) unlike if you go the Cam Newton route again or something. The QB you draft can develop and be a solid backup hopefully.

There's a part of me that thinks they've already given up on Stidham, or they simply view him as a backup at best.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 03:57:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm thinking they'll stop gap.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 03:59:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Draft the guy they believe in most.

If that guy isn't ready, sign a stop gap who could take the literal and figurative hits while the team stinks.

We know Stidham ain't it. They definitely should not being back cam.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 04:01:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

If that guy isn't ready, sign a stop gap who could take the literal and figurative hits while the team stinks.

who would you take?

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 04:26:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Either trade for Mariota or Garoppolo, and also draft someone to develop.

My dream scenario is Jimmy G + draft 1 QB. Yeah I know he's injury prone, but Garoppolo is familiar with the system and he can definitely win games. Plus with him, you have a nice little window to compete (since he's still just 29 years old) unlike if you go the Cam Newton route again or something. The QB you draft can develop and be a solid backup hopefully.

There's a part of me that thinks they've already given up on Stidham, or they simply view him as a backup at best.

This seems like the most reasonable plan. I don't want to overpay for Jimmy G, but he gives you a proven Pats system QB and also provides you a chance. With his recent positive Belichick comments, I am not against bringing back Cam, but his ceiling is demonstrably lower than we all thought it was.

No matter what, we need to draft a QB the organization can believe in, or trade everything we have for Watson.

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 04:30:09 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Draft Mac Jones and sign Fitzpatrick as a bridge QB. Mac seems like a Belichick type of QB. High IQ, super accurate. He’s not flashy, but I think that he would fit in well.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 04:51:34 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Stopgap/journeyman types are, by definition, short-term fixes, and I think the team needs to be looking to acquire its long-term solution ASAP. Last year with Cam was stopgap and it sucked; if the team's gonna suck again this year, I'd rather it be with a QB they see as the long-term answer than with some old washed-up guy or somebody who was a disappointment for another team (Trubisky). I also don't want to see the team give up a lot of assets for a middling QB like Garoppolo. But whoever they want, they need to get him this offseason and start the integration process right away.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 04:58:55 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
What would you do??

Imo they should sign a UFA QB (not named Newton).   And draft best available 2nd round QB.  Davis Mills is underrated.  Cut Hoyer.

The bread and butter QBs of the draft are likely going to be chosen prior to 15 (example Zac Wilson).    Not a fan of reaching for Mac Jones

Has weak arm power.   Poor mobility.

You know who doesn’t have weak arm power and poor mobility? Cam Newton. How did that work out? I’d take a high IQ QB who is accurate every day of the week. Mac can still throw the ball 50+ yards. Not like he’s a noodle arm or something..
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 05:09:17 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Bradley Beal

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 05:40:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Stopgap/journeyman types are, by definition, short-term fixes, and I think the team needs to be looking to acquire its long-term solution ASAP. Last year with Cam was stopgap and it sucked; if the team's gonna suck again this year, I'd rather it be with a QB they see as the long-term answer than with some old washed-up guy or somebody who was a disappointment for another team (Trubisky). I also don't want to see the team give up a lot of assets for a middling QB like Garoppolo. But whoever they want, they need to get him this offseason and start the integration process right away.

I generally agree, but if the team thinks that throwing a rookie QB into the fire would be detrimental to his development, I'm all for signing a replacement level veteran signal caller who can maybe be a mentor as well as the fall guy for a bad season.

We've seen a lot of examples of great QBs who did really well after sitting one or more seasons to start their careers. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 05:40:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

who would you take?

I know absolutely nothing about the NFL draft so I don't have an opinion other than "take the best QB on the board" and "if there's a guy you think is really good, do what it takes to move up to draft him."
- Mark Twain